Album Surfboards

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Why does everyone hate on the Cholo shot so much?
No one, and I mean no one wants to watch videos of you surfing. Unless your sponsor is paying someone to film your surfing there is no reason to video your sessions, if you want to get better at surfing - surf more, surf better waves more, this is not an endeavour of analysis and review. Go out and surf and enjoy yourself, have fun, put the camera away.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
No one, and I mean no one wants to watch videos of you surfing. Unless your sponsor is paying someone to film your surfing there is no reason to video your sessions, if you want to get better at surfing - surf more, surf better waves more, this is not an endevour of analysis and review. Go out and surf and enjoy yourself, have fun, put the camera away.
I've talked to pro surfers and they've told me that film review is one the major things that helped them improve their surfing. Seeing yourself surf and analyzing what your feeling vs. whats happening in the water is a great tool for improving your surfing. Its probably the thing that's helped me improve the most.

I see coaches on the beach all the time filming their students and telling them what to work on. It kind of goes without saying that seeing yourself surf/skate/snowboard will help you identify areas for improvement. I dont see how you can argue it wouldn't help you?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I've talked to pro surfers and they've told me that film review is one the major things that helped them improve their surfing. Seeing yourself surf and analyzing what your feeling vs. whats happening in the water is a great tool for improving your surfing. Its probably the thing that's helped me improve the most.

I see coaches on the beach all the time filming their students and telling them what to work on. It kind of goes without saying that seeing yourself surf/skate/snowboard will help you identify areas for improvement. I dont see how you can argue it wouldn't help you?
I’ve noticed significant improvement in your surfing technique over time based on the videos you post.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
There is such a giant gulf between us that I dont really know where to start. How's this Pro surfers are the worst, followed second by surf coaches. I genuinely hope you are having fun and enjoying yourself because the truth of it is no one cares, working hard at this is opposite of what its good for imo..

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I’ve noticed significant improvement in your surfing technique over time based on the videos you post.
ya at one point i felt i could surf much better than reforest but he caught up and surpassed me now haha...

but i only surf a couple times a month now. other things in life are more important these days.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
There is such a giant gulf between us that I dont really know where to start. How's this Pro surfers are the worst, followed second by surf coaches. I genuinely hope you are having fun and enjoying yourself because the truth of it is no one cares, working hard at this is opposite of what its good for imo..
I always relate surfing to skating. Mainly because I was in love with skating before I was in love with surfing. In skating, your limited by the amount of tricks you can do. The better you are, the more tricks you can do. The more tricks you can do, the more fun you can have. Same with surfing. If you are a really good surfer, it just makes it that much more fun! ...Doing a 360 spin on the take off, pump down the line, maybe a little floater, then a cut back, then a vertical turn, then a roundhouse cutback. Ah man... that wave would be a blast! But if you're not very good and you just stand there and ride the wave, or pump down the line and do 1 turn, you dont get the same enjoyment (at least I dont). So while I agree with you that surfing is about having fun, I think its equally as fun to learn and progress and get better and get super analytical on your surfing.

Reactions: waxfoot

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I always relate surfing to skating. Mainly because I was in love with skating before I was in love with surfing. In skating, your limited by the amount of tricks you can do. The better you are, the more tricks you can do. The more tricks you can do, the more fun you can have. Same with surfing. If you are a really good surfer, it just makes it that much more fun! ...Doing a 360 spin on the take off, pump down the line, maybe a little floater, then a cut back, then a vertical turn, then a roundhouse cutback. Ah man... that wave would be a blast! But if you're not very good and you just stand there and ride the wave, or pump down the line and do 1 turn, you dont get the same enjoyment (at least I dont). So while I agree with you that surfing is about having fun, I think its equally as fun to learn and progress and get better and get super analytical on your surfing.
You don’t get it but whatever. I wonder if this a late learner syndrome.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
@ReForest The soloshot is a nasty cocktail of look-at-me culture, unnecessary gadgetry and peak lonely-guy vibes* (can't a friend film for a few?) That being said, wanting to learn is a great thing, and I wish more people embraced that. I say keep doing it! Just don't expect people to not give you sh!t.

*don't take the lonely comment personally. literally everyone here is lonely. it's why we're on this godforsaken message board. but that camera reeks of lonely guy vibes, and its loneliness is only emphasized when used in a crowded lineup.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You would benefit greatly by riding a single fin for awhile.

No joke.

Also, as posted above, you are getting better.