Album Surfboards

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Plasmid ride report -- broke it in less than 5 sessions!
Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 5.27.02 AM.png

This happened ditching under an outer bar wave at ocean beach -- I was pretty pissed but my buddy who saw it said the wave went square right onto the board... so might not be a situation where we can blame album for this one. Nonethless a bummer because (1)I liked the board and (2) even used it wasn't cheap.

When I was riding the board, I enjoyed it -- 6'9" x 20" x 2.5" had a lot of range for me at 155 pounds. Definitely a paddler and wave catcher with the wide nose and SUPER full foil + low low nose rocker -- I was able to surf it in knee/waist super soft longboard peelers and make little turns and also surf proper overhead + outer bar ocean beach. Despite looking/feeling pretty chonky under arm with the channel I could whip the board around pretty good in turns. Had that plasmic feeling where you could feel the squirt out of the channel once the board was on rail/brought around enough, which was fun on a board of this size/length.

Given the super full foil if I was to order another one (lol) I would definitely go narrower/thinner than stock. I had visions of riding this board as an alt step-up that would still allow for some turns and while it definitely had the paddle power to catch bigger waves, the big channel felt super squirrely at speed -- too much of that "on top of the water" feeling. Cool board for bigger slopey waves, but less so as things got more critical.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Brought my 6-11 plasmid, 6-4 bullet twin, 5-10 twinsman and 5-11 symphony on my trip south.

With the waves being mostly head high+ so far the Bullet twin has gotten the most use along with my hpsb's and has felt pretty great. It feels equally familiar and predictable and easy here as it does at home. Plasmid and symphony have gotten some use at more protected breaks. Both felt really good and I was especially impressed with the Plasmid in some waist high running dreamers where I was the only one not on a log.

The twinsman I rode twice in legit good overhead surf and while I had fun I still had a few wtf moments. Felt cramped like i wanted to widen my stance a little more than I was able to do without crowding the nose or something. I could make it work like a fish, narrow, forward stance but when Id get my foot back for turns sometimes itd just feel funky. Talking boards with a friend, a good surfer from SB, in between sets he mentioned it looked a little short under my feet. I think with the wing and the tail rocker it just doesnt have as much rail line as I need for my tall self. Even with big fins it just feels a little twitchy and erratic and it forces me to adjust my surfing to the board more than I really want to do. In specific conditions, steep little bowls that dont flatten out, it feels really good but so do many other boards that will also work well in other conditions.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
View attachment 144940

This happened ditching under an outer bar wave at ocean beach -- I was pretty pissed but my buddy who saw it said the wave went square right onto the board... so might not be a situation where we can blame album for this one. Nonethless a bummer because (1)I liked the board and (2) even used it wasn't cheap.

When I was riding the board, I enjoyed it -- 6'9" x 20" x 2.5" had a lot of range for me at 155 pounds. Definitely a paddler and wave catcher with the wide nose and SUPER full foil + low low nose rocker -- I was able to surf it in knee/waist super soft longboard peelers and make little turns and also surf proper overhead + outer bar ocean beach. Despite looking/feeling pretty chonky under arm with the channel I could whip the board around pretty good in turns. Had that plasmic feeling where you could feel the squirt out of the channel once the board was on rail/brought around enough, which was fun on a board of this size/length.

Given the super full foil if I was to order another one (lol) I would definitely go narrower/thinner than stock. I had visions of riding this board as an alt step-up that would still allow for some turns and while it definitely had the paddle power to catch bigger waves, the big channel felt super squirrely at speed -- too much of that "on top of the water" feeling. Cool board for bigger slopey waves, but less so as things got more critical.
Wow, that's seriously unfortunate. I've absolutely abused my ledge out at OB and it's held up super well. OB can do that to any board if it's in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Hope you got some of that Christmas goodness.

Reactions: j_mac

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
View attachment 144940

Jan 28, 2011
NC
Was tempted by this until I zoomed in on that butt crack

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Was tempted by this until I zoomed in on that butt crack

torn buttjole.

cue up @casa_mugrienta w/ the subreddit

oeste858

Phil Edwards status