Alaska Airlines pilot who shut off plane engine mid flight blames post-shroom psychosis...

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don't smoke weed anymore.

It's a chore managing that high.

I can do it.

But it's not fun.

I like cocaine and opiates and expensive wine, in moderation, of course.

I'm a lightweight.

I still want to do my reality TV show where I try to get addicted to drugs.

Auto Does Heroin would be season one.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah I chuckled when I saw that too.

The whole study just looks like a flimsy joke.

They put an ad out, brought some people in, asked em what their history of depression is, asked them to score their current depression, gave them some shrooms (was there even a section stating how they were dosed?), then followed up with a very brief questionaire months later.

But that's the one being touted as of late.:roflmao:

Wasn't there also a study that came out recently showing how microdosing psilocybin was nothing but a placebo?
That "study" looks like it's just marketing for the authors' fungus clinics, much like the shady MDMA marketing for clinics springing up in the last 10 years. Depression is not caused by brain chemistry - it's caused by thoughts which may have chemical effects downstream but those can't be treated chemically. They're barking entirely up the wrong tree here. Pure woo, but hey it sells.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That "study" looks like it's just marketing for the authors' fungus clinics, much like the shady MDMA marketing for clinics springing up in the last 10 years. Depression is not caused by brain chemistry - it's caused by thoughts which may have chemical effects downstream but those can't be treated chemically. They're barking entirely up the wrong tree here. Pure woo, but hey it sells.
Theoretically I think it could offer a sort of "reset" for the brain.

I've always thought of it as a little vacation for the mind.

Therein would lie the therapeutic effect.

It would have to be well constructed study - the Hopkins thing looks like a 4th year undergrad project.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I read he had taken the shrooms 45 hours prior to boarding the flight. Do shrooms last that long, IME that's a negative, even on a large dose. He was dealing with some demons, and my guess is they spun him out mentally, but was not actually tripping. As for treating depression and other mental disorders, from what I have read and seen, it's done with a licensed therapist or trained professional where you focus on said demons, trauma, or whatever issues you are dealing with and continue with other tools and methods.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I read he had taken the shrooms 45 hours prior to boarding the flight. Do shrooms last that long,
No.

Maybe 6 hours, 8 hours max. Then totes normal.

But the question is did he experience some sort of psychosis brought on by the trip? Seems so, since he had been up for two days.

Or at the end of the day cops mighta just asked some standard questions - "Have you had any drugs, medication, alcohol?" to which he replied "Did some shrooms a few days ago but otherwise no."

"licensed therapist or trained professional"
Doesn't mean much.[

Reactions: PRCD

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I read he had taken the shrooms 45 hours prior to boarding the flight. Do shrooms last that long, IME that's a negative, even on a large dose. He was dealing with some demons, and my guess is they spun him out mentally, but was not actually tripping. As for treating depression and other mental disorders, from what I have read and seen, it's done with a licensed therapist or trained professional where you focus on said demons, trauma, or whatever issues you are dealing with and continue with other tools and methods.
Stop making sense. The boomers in here are rolling with the shroomy madness mindset.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Theoretically I think it could offer a sort of "reset" for the brain.
The brain is not a computer with a bunch of logic switches controlled with voltage.

Stop making sense. The boomers in here are rolling with the shroomy madness mindset.
Not a Boomer but you guys pretend to be experts in mental health then later to confess to dissolute, broken lives and histories of mental illness including suicidality and drug addiction. At least 1 guy on this thread has confessed to suicidality, a plan to carry out suicide, and a bunch of other Roganesque remedies. Truly the blind leading the blind here.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
The brain is not a computer with a bunch of logic switches controlled with voltage.

Not a Boomer but you guys pretend to be experts in mental health then later to confess to dissolute, broken lives and histories of mental illness including suicidality and drug addiction. At least 1 guy on this thread has confessed to suicidality, a plan to carry out suicide, and a bunch of other Roganesque remedies. Truly the blind leading the blind here.
Newsome vetoed open access to psilocybin in California. Thought it needed more study.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW

Say what? I don't fit that description at all. I'm the complete opposite. Keep reaching.

You may not be a boomer by the technical definition but this threead is full of old man yells at cloud / get off my lawn mentality. It's all good. You do you. I'm not claiming to be an expert in metal illness but I have enough first hand experience to feel comfortable saying that anyone blaming this dude's actions on shrooms is missing the mark by a wide berth. I wonder if he smoked the devils lettuse too?

It's frustrating to see this narrative being pushed. I know several people who have had amazing experiences very recently with microdosing. It has completely changed their mindsets in a positive way.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Say what? I don't fit that description at all. I'm the complete opposite. Keep reaching.

You may not be a boomer by the technical definition but this threead is full of old man yells at cloud / get off my lawn mentality. It's all good. You do you. I'm not claiming to be an expert in metal illness but I have enough first hand experience to feel comfortable saying that anyone blaming this dude's actions on shrooms is missing the mark by a wide berth. I wonder if he smoked the devils lettuse too?
I'm not blaming his actions on shrooms.

I don't think anyone here did.

I think the story is interesting.

That the trip did not sit well and he possibly experienced a psychotic episode or extremely anxious state (did not sleep for two days since the trip)...because that sort of stuff actually happens.

It's frustrating to see this narrative being pushed.
My narrative is psychedelics are fine for me, not fine for everybody (which I have seen from personal experience), and should be taken in the appropriate mental state.

Also, that the research I've seen regarding hallucinatory level dosing of psylocybin and depression looks pretty weak.

What is frustrating about that?

I know several people who have had amazing experiences very recently with microdosing. It has completely changed their mindsets in a positive way.
Studies are beginning to show effects of actual microdosing are trending toward placebo.

[/quote][/quote]

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

It's frustrating to see this narrative being pushed. I know several people who have had amazing experiences very recently with microdosing. It has completely changed their mindsets in a positive way.
You ingest illicit psychedelics to hallucinate and are accusing me of "old man yells at cloud." Wow. You know some people who had great experiences with drugs so you're frustrated with those who've had bad experiences like the pilot or people like me who point to lack of evidence for the benefit. Cool story. The FAA has rules about drug and alcohol use for good reason. I know a guy who killed himself flying after drinking. This guy is accused of trying to kill the whole plane. I know of another guy who went microdosing, went on a splatter spree, and is now in a wheelchair.

Seems like you only look at one side of the evidence. It's all good. You do you.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: PJ and manbearpig

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I have some friends who have had positive experiences with microdosing and guided therapeutic use of psilocybin, ketamine, and ayahuasca.

As Casa mentioned, psychadelics have been known to trigger latent schizophrenia and other forms of psychosis.

I do not experience the lighthearted and social effects of these drugs.

Back in July, I was in Hawaii with a bunch of bros who were taking mushroom chocolates to chillax. When I took one, I went introverted and started examining my life. It was a positive experience because it helped me confront and understand a personal issue, but it wasn't "fun." The sound of Hawaiian reggae made me want to puke as I sought communion with universal truth and beauty.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This guy is accused of trying to kill the whole plane. I know of another guy who went microdosing, went on a splatter spree, and is now in a wheelchair.
That guy didn't microdose, he was fully dosed.

Someone posted the video here before. It was crazy.

The cops really tried to be nice to him and talk him down.

Then he stole the Bodega Harbor Patrol guy's truck and tried to kill everyone.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If he had to listen to that during the entirety of his shroom trip, this may explain some things.

Whatever happened to just taking some good ol' fashioned speed before flying the plane? Alert, stimulated, vibrant commentary, LA-HNL against jet stream in 4 hours, everyone wins! Just pull their clearance when they start seeing gremlins.