alaias

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Here's mine. It's pretty small so REALLY difficult to catch waves on but super fun for kiting. It's a pretty cool sensation to be able to slide over the reef in only a few inches of water. The way you can make a turn on rail, then release the tail and finish it with a slide feels like snowboarding on fresh corduroy.
20220312_080245.jpg

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
tried today. not the easiest thing. still fun prone.
I like them with some swim fins for hollow and fast beach break....you can get in to some really deep barrel sections and get spat out

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Here's mine. It's pretty small so REALLY difficult to catch waves on but super fun for kiting. It's a pretty cool sensation to be able to slide over the reef in only a few inches of water. The way you can make a turn on rail, then release the tail and finish it with a slide feels like snowboarding on fresh corduroy.
View attachment 125950
That shape looks like it could translate as a pow surfer with the proper traction on the top

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'll have to try that. My little one should be perfect.
they are a really good bodysurfing cheat....I love it

it teaches you a lot about effective use of your edge....and you can catch waves so fkn early if you put some flex in to the board in the right spots

I need to break out the tools and make another batch of planks and planes for the summer....

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
they are a really good bodysurfing cheat....I love it

it teaches you a lot about effective use of your edge....and you can catch waves so fkn early if you put some flex in to the board in the right spots

I need to break out the tools and make another batch of planks and planes for the summer....
Can you make me an alaia?

I pay u

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I like them with some swim fins for hollow and fast beach break....you can get in to some really deep barrel sections and get spat out
I've had nightmares about getting sucked over the falls on a beach break and getting disemboweled in the shore line with one of those. :eek:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Can you make me an alaia?

I pay u
I make you one real nice for free

I got a biscuit cutter to make them stronger

do you want to stand up surf it?

I have some ideas about binding foam or even a little cork to it to give it more buoyancy

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I've had nightmares about getting sucked over the falls on a beach break and getting disemboweled in the shore line with one of those. :eek:
I've done more damage to myself with surfboards and fins than the plank, but I don't really give a fook and pull in to everything because otherwise one does not surf in the south bay

I also object to hand straps on hand planes...they are dumb...I rarely loose my plane even when I get hucked

Jon Wegener used to sell raw paulownia...I should check with him.

I really like cedar and redwood because they are naturally good if they lose their varnish and get a bit wet

I got a bunch of really good redwood on craigslist from folks who were tearing out old garage doors

damn, now I'm all fired up....

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I make you one real nice for free

I got a biscuit cutter to make them stronger

do you want to stand up surf it?

I have some ideas about binding foam or even a little cork to it to give it more buoyancy

Yes I would be *trying* to eventually stand up surf it.

Is the biscuit cutter for putting in concave?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Yes I would be *trying* to eventually stand up surf it.

Is the biscuit cutter for putting in concave?
1648008766398.png

keenfish got it.

there are multiple factors at play, first, thin boards just naturally want to split, especially thin and wide

alaias are pretty thin to begin with...and then you put in some concave (usually with a sander/polisher and progressive grits) you wind up with a board that is even less capable of handling extreme deflection

think...body on top getting slammed by a wave

also, redwood is sometimes spotty with regard to glue-ups...so it can split there. generally speaking, though, the glue line is one of the strongest parts of a layup and boards will split on the grain BEFORE the glued edges come apart.

those biscuits are a cool way to add some additional structure....I've thought about dowels running perpendicular, but that's way over-baked

Reactions: keenfish