AI

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
No, not Andy. "Artificial Intelligence" it's just programming, is it not?

It's like someone gave a name to an old thing to make it seem like a different, new thing. Intelligent? In the same way that a calculator may have seemed intelligent to an average moron long ago, a program that pieces together bits of text from a large database in a predetermined way seems intelligent to people who read the wall street journal today.

More importantly, if we can't have sex with it, what's the point, really? We were promised robots.

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

AI now is like computer terminals we're back in the 80's.

You want to phook a robot? Wait until AI becomes more like your smart phone.

Only, due to exponential progress of this field, it won't take 40 years.

IMHO.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Droves of people forced out of work, is what I see in the next 3-5 years, made obsolete by machines that, as you mentioned, can simply do their jobs better than them.

Here's hoping all those displaced people can either learn to use AI and reposition themselves in their respective job markets, or transition into other areas deeply needed in our present day society... such as mental health care, geriatric care, education, etc...

If implemented correctly, AI could actually make our lives a whole lot better, unlike what was promised and promoted with the whole "smart phone" revolution.

Wishful thinking, I know.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Imagine the day when you wake up and your robot is standing in the doorway staring at you while you slept.

Telsa wants to make personal robots for every household into reality. It's coming sooner than people think.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Imagine the day when you wake up and your robot is standing in the doorway staring at you while you slept.

Telsa wants to make personal robots for every household into reality. It's coming sooner than people think.
I have a friend who suffered a similar spinal cord injury as Jessie Billauer. The possibilities for AI and robotics to help people like these with their day to day lives is amazing.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I don’t remember the jetsons robots name but I’d love to have one of those

And obviously the flying cars

• Love
Reactions: PJ

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Tesla's robot, Optimus.

Elon wants to get the price down far enough where it's like buying a cheap car, in the 20k-30k range. I'm sure many are already salivating at idea of hacking the bot to do things outside it's protocol.

1689945498145.png

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Massive job losses are what’s coming, in sectors many don’t expect. I don’t know who the hell Elon Musk thinks is going to buy his robots.

AI’s are crawling the web ingesting massive datasets and learning learning learning. Now is the time to put up some legal guardrails but our politicians don’t understand the problem and even if they did, they’re too scared to hamper the development of the tech through meaningful legislation because China is doing it too. The companies are begging the politicians to restrain them but are happy to shrug and take investor money while there are no rules. They know it’s dangerous sh!t, but a few more good quarters and they can ride it out from a bunker in New Zealand. Us plebes will not be so lucky.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
A weak large language model has an IQ of 155 and is improving exponentially. It is better than humans at virtually every mundane task we assign it and many complex ones.
That says more about how IQ is measured and how little it has to do with human intelligence than anything else. Computers have long been faster than humans at tasks that can be broken down into unambiguous instructions. That's why people created them.
Perhaps writing click bait articles and movie reviews truly doesn't require more intelligence than weaving a poncho?

AI’s are crawling the web ingesting massive datasets and learning learning learning. Now is the time to put up some legal guardrails but our politicians don’t understand the problem and even if they did, they’re too scared to hamper the development of the tech through meaningful legislation because China is doing it too. The companies are begging the politicians to restrain them but are happy to shrug and take investor money while there are no rules. They know it’s dangerous sh!t, but a few more good quarters and they can ride it out from a bunker in New Zealand. Us plebes will not be so lucky.
I see this fearful stuff written, but no one can be specific about what they are afraid of. It's coming off like "I don't know, like dangerous AI stuff because it learned and I don't know freakin politicians are greedy man! Didnt you see that one movie?"

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
All call center customer service types, DONE.

Add to the list, any and all computer customer service as well.

Maybe one or two guys to keep the servers up and running, and AI replacing thousands of employees in one pen stroke of a corporate decision to cut costs, we know how they love those.

AI will replace all line workers, manufacturing, food service, retail and wholesale after sales support, etc.

Basically anything that can be automated, will. Or the businesses that don't won't survive long.

Practically all airline, hospital care, etc... as far as admissions and discharge ... say hello to AI.

It WILL change the world, no question about that. The only question remains to be answered is, if and how it will be managed. If it's not, it will take over like wild fire surely.

From a business owners standpoint why would you want pesky humans that get sick and complain all the time, need bathroom and food breaks and have to go home to sleep to come back to work the next day, when you could have AI that needs none of that?

:shrug::computer::shrug:

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Moderators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please be hyper vigilant to prevent AI bots from hijacking this thread and posting misinformation.

Unless of course, all of you ARE AI bots. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Massive job losses are what’s coming, in sectors many don’t expect. I don’t know who the hell Elon Musk thinks is going to buy his robots.

Every wealthy person or well-off person will probably get one just to have one.

But I imagine all sorts of businesses will buy them. Businesses that have warehouses and factory floors will probably buy them. All kinds of other businesses that have a lot of repetitive tasks will probably buy them.

Elon said his goal w the bots is to have them capable of doing every day things. Elon said he wants sub $20k price point.

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
I can see people, or dictator states using it to create fake videos and propaganda. Due to its exponential learning growth I imagine that in a few years the fake videos will probably be hard to distinguish from the real thing.

Imagine all the....for lack of a better term, "Simpletons" that would be exposed to such real life videos and they don't know they are being created by AI. Imagine mass human reactions..History has shown that mass human populations are very susceptible to propaganda.

Imagine having the power of all of humanities knowledge, from science to economics to anything you want to know at your fingertips "instantly". Every time a new technology emerges there is always some shithead that uses it to do bad stuff. Now do you see the potential issues?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A weak large language model has an IQ of 155 and is improving exponentially. It is better than humans at virtually every mundane task we assign it and many complex ones.

Many changes coming, not all of them good.
LLMs will make your business more profitable because you are smart and competent. In the hands of the incompetent or mendacious, they will churn out a lot of garbage and probably severely degrade the SNR of Google. Its the Matthew Effect.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I have a friend who suffered a similar spinal cord injury as Jessie Billauer. The possibilities for AI and robotics to help people like these with their day to day lives is amazing.
This is the only upside that I see with AI. The lazy people I know love it. For the most part, AI is just another big step towards dumbing and numbing down society.