achilles heel torn

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
I'm on the 6 months program no surgery my physio dude is saying a year I might be surfing again , I almost puked , any advice much appreciated

cheers

did it on a longboard skateboard pumped and back heel hit the wheel happened in an instant

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Take it easy. Rehab carefully. Consider it an investment in the future.

ps sometimes I think what I would do if I was relegated to an assisted living facility in the future? I think I'd be watching a lot of surf videos...which is all the surf I've had the past two weeks anyways.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I tore my Achilles 2 years ago. After 5 minutes of just pushing on the flats on my GF's skateboard. I heard a loud pop and became disoriented w/ extreme pain. Didn't fall just stopped. I thought I fell in a hole but I was standing upright. Tried to walk but my foot didn't work and then I fainted. Eventually walked over to the GF's house and compulsively decided her trucks were too loose and I dug out her tools and tightened them while crawling on the floor. lol
She wrapped my heel and gave me a couple of ibuprofen and I walked home another 2 blocks. Drove myself to the urgent care the next day(stickshift):( Driving home with a cast on was not fun while wearing the hospital gown:sick:
Kaiser pushed not to do surgery but several surgeon friends strongly recommended getting the surgery. Kaiser finally agreed.
Surgery and rehab went exactly as they said it would. Could not put any weight on it for a month. Learned to walk again. PT and after 6 months got the OK to surf.
My ankle was very stiff in the morning for a long time. It still gets stiff but loosens up. No matter how much exercise and stretching it doesn't seem to help the stiffness not return. I think it will never be like the other ankle.
I stay away from running and will never ride a skateboard again. But I can still surf and the injury hasn't really hampered that.

Good luck. It sucks in so many ways that I never what to go through that again. A year sounds long for rehab. I thought surgery and non surgery rehabs were the same.

Advice: hated crutches but the Iwalk knee crutch was not so bad. getting in it and out was a bitch but manipulating crutches on stairs and tight spaces sucked.
They all said they didn't know if I would surf again but I am old AF and I don't see what could have gone wrong that would not allow me to surf again. If it was basketball or sprinting no way but riding a shortboard or longboard is not a problem if things go right. Best wishes:shaka:

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I did mine in 2019. I was playing soccer, but it was such a fluke. I was merely taking a push off step forward to set my feet and it popped. Had surgery. Started booger/knee boarding on a beater with a DaFin on my non injured leg at around 5-6 months and then started standing up on a longboard on small days at around 7-8 months. It was funny because when I got the green light to start standing up, there was a swell running. It was a weird headspace to be in while praying for the waves to get small.

Going the surgical route speeds up the recovery process and 12 months is pretty accurate for the non surgical route. Why did you opt to not get surgery?

Similar to @Woke AF I highly recommend this:
And one of these:

Was able to find both used and promptly sold them after I was through the woods. Total game changers because crutches are archaic, cumbersome and were the most painful part of the whole experience. I used the iWalk mostly around the house and short distances and the scooter if I was covering more ground. Seriously, treat yo self.

I also found that finding a good Active Release Therapy person was critical to my recovery. PT helps you get out of the weeds, but you eventually plateau and need to break up the binding that occurs in your fascial plane.

I still periodically get ART when I have "flare ups" and for maintenance.

@bluengreen - what I found after I did mine was that there is not a lot of rhyme or reason to how and when you can rupture an achilles. I heard so many stories of "I was just [insert minimally challenging activity here] when mine blew." The biggest indicators are age (late 30s-50) and previous injury to your calves, achilles and hamstrings. A theory is that they rupture because of binding that occurs between the tendon, the fascia and muscle. So yes, stretching definitely helps but don't keep it local to your lower leg. A PT told me that people who have hamstring injuries often rupture their achilles soon after when they come back. Stretching along with massage/ART to break up the binding is really important. Strengthening the small muscles in your calf and ankle is also critical, work on your soleus. And hydration to lube that bitch.

Reactions: Woke AF

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I did mine in 2019. I was playing soccer, but it was such a fluke. I was merely taking a push off step forward to set my feet and it popped. Had surgery. Started booger/knee boarding on a beater with a DaFin on my non injured leg at around 5-6 months and then started standing up on a longboard on small days at around 7-8 months. It was funny because when I got the green light to start standing up, there was a swell running. It was a weird headspace to be in while praying for the waves to get small.

Going the surgical route speeds up the recovery process and 12 months is pretty accurate for the non surgical route. Why did you opt to not get surgery?

Similar to @Woke AF I highly recommend this:
And one of these:

Was able to find both used and promptly sold them after I was through the woods. Total game changers because crutches are archaic, cumbersome and were the most painful part of the whole experience. I used the iWalk mostly around the house and short distances and the scooter if I was covering more ground. Seriously, treat yo self.

I also found that finding a good Active Release Therapy person was critical to my recovery. PT helps you get out of the weeds, but you eventually plateau and need to break up the binding that occurs in your fascial plane.

I still periodically get ART when I have "flare ups" and for maintenance.

@bluengreen - what I found after I did mine was that there is not a lot of rhyme or reason to how and when you can rupture an achilles. I heard so many stories of "I was just [insert minimally challenging activity here] when mine blew." The biggest indicators are age (late 30s-50) and previous injury to your calves, achilles and hamstrings. A theory is that they rupture because of binding that occurs between the tendon, the fascia and muscle. So yes, stretching definitely helps but don't keep it local to your lower leg. A PT told me that people who have hamstring injuries often rupture their achilles soon after when they come back. Stretching along with massage/ART to break up the binding is really important. Strengthening the small muscles in your calf and ankle is also critical, work on your soleus. And hydration to lube that bitch.
When I got the green light to surf OBSF was 3-4x’s overhead and offshore. It was one of those rare winter days that looked like pipe.
I was :drowning::oops::cry:

• Haha
Reactions: sushipop

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
thanks for this period. wow all around I'm 56 that's not helping ,the stories are so reality checks , with ya on the crutches gig , got some scooter for home and some freaky all terrain scooter thing for my truck cargo , pull it out and cruise about as close to getting that feeling till months go by

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Freaky that you snapped it doing nothing! Does calf stretching to prevent this injury?
Not in a meaningful way. A lot of times these happen when planting the foot with the leg extended (no bend in the knee). A good strength and conditioning program will also thicken soft tissues, including tendons. Just another reason the squat and deadlift.