A whole new world of California surfing has opened up to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
From dealing with a few Base COs, I realized that there is a reason for their uptightness. They deal with a lot of sh!t, mostly political BS. Some like it, but there are also some who are just trying to get through it, and get promoted into their next job before retirement. They also have to answer for every little thing that happens on the base, and they especially hate it if it is something that the media can spin and exaggerate.

I surf around Military Bases a lot and I was always worried that if an active duty were to ever get hurt, they would prohibit the activity.
ya, and with the implementation of ICE (Interactive Customer Evaluation) it makes their job even harder. Complaints go the region's office and the CO has to answer for it. I can see why they are uptight.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
One of my buddies at UCSB had a dad who was Navy so he was able to get on base. We would drive down in two cars, then pile into one and smile at the guards who obviously hated us. This was in the late 90's, I don't know how it is to get on now.

We never got it off the charts, I only went 6 or 8 times, but every time I went it was really fun. We would typically go in the summer or early fall, it would usually be sloppy and thigh high in Ventura, flat in Santa Barbara, but on the base it would be clean and shoulder high to head high. It was fun to surf a wave with a bit of push after surfing waist high Sands windswell all summer. Looking back I wish we had taken advantage more. What an area though.

I have not been there since the late 90's, but my buddy had an ID card, or maybe a sticker on the car or something, and they would always let us right in after checking. A couple of times we saw people boat in, not sure if anyone does that anymore.

Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
One of my buddies at UCSB had a dad who was Navy so he was able to get on base. We would drive down in two cars, then pile into one and smile at the guards who obviously hated us. This was in the late 90's, I don't know how it is to get on now.

We never got it off the charts, I only went 6 or 8 times, but every time I went it was really fun. We would typically go in the summer or early fall, it would usually be sloppy and thigh high in Ventura, flat in Santa Barbara, but on the base it would be clean and shoulder high to head high. It was fun to surf a wave with a bit of push after surfing waist high Sands windswell all summer. Looking back I wish we had taken advantage more. What an area though.

I have not been there since the late 90's, but my buddy had an ID card, or maybe a sticker on the car or something, and they would always let us right in after checking. A couple of times we saw people boat in, not sure if anyone does that anymore.
There is a quarter mile perimeter set up off the base. No boats, jet skis, kayaks, etc. Security is always watching and if they see any of these, they call it in and a boat comes down from Hueneme and you are gone. I've seen it happen. Kayaker came in from Mugu Rock. Took him 30 minutes. He got into his suit paddled in and got 2 waves and the boat was on him. See ya. I have not seen a boat anchored off the base since 2005. I guess a quarter mile out is too deep to anchor.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
There is a quarter mile perimeter set up off the base. No boats, jet skis, kayaks, etc. Security is always watching and if they see any of these, they call it in and a boat comes down from Hueneme and you are gone. I've seen it happen. Kayaker came in from Mugu Rock. Took him 30 minutes. He got into his suit paddled in and got 2 waves and the boat was on him. See ya. I have not seen a boat anchored off the base since 2005. I guess a quarter mile out is too deep to anchor.
Just curious. Do boaters still have to get permission to traverse the missile range that extends a mile out and further? I remember having to hit up Channel 16 (was it "Plead Control"?) whenever sailing from Santa Cruz Island to Catalina/SB Island.

Btw, thanks for times you got me on to various bases. Those were good sessions.

I used to have that RapidGate badge as was on Pendleton a fair amount but always had bad vibes about taking too much advantage of it.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
That doesn't surprise me. I guess after 9/11 things have tightened up.

It really is a sick zone. Those who live on the base and surf have got to be pumped.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
what is service-connected?
It means different things, but basically it means you get un-taxed money from the federal government (which is tax revenue) for having been in the military. The level of fraud and hypocrisy is off the charts.

Reactions: rts265

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
I used to surf with a guy who was rated at 100% completely disabled and unemployable. He laughed about it.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
It means different things, but basically it means you get un-taxed money from the federal government (which is tax revenue) for having been in the military. The level of fraud and hypocrisy is off the charts.
Don't get me started. Off the charts would be the understatement of the century. Meanwhile the vets who actually need help don't get it.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Just curious. Do boaters still have to get permission to traverse the missile range that extends a mile out and further? I remember having to hit up Channel 16 (was it "Plead Control"?) whenever sailing from Santa Cruz Island to Catalina/SB Island.

Btw, thanks for times you got me on to various bases. Those were good sessions.

I used to have that RapidGate badge as was on Pendleton a fair amount but always had bad vibes about taking too much advantage of it.
I don't know. How good was that DMJ all star session? Overhead hurricane swell. Me, you, truth, geopac, JJR ,and Jeff from Colorado. Forgot his handle.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I don't know. How good was that DMJ all star session? Overhead hurricane swell. Me, you, truth, geopac, JJR ,and Jeff from Colorado. Forgot his handle.
Jeff was igotyourshere. Cool guy.

That sesh was insanely good. All of of us got very barreled that day and yet waves were super playful. I remember taking out a thicker 6'6" at first, thinking it was pretty meaty, and realizing after a wave or two that it was way more foam than necessary. Grabbed my thinner 6'6" and was perfect for the day. Was a great board - so bummed when I finally snapped it a few weeks ago.

Reactions: gbg

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
So is mine.

How do I sign up?
breathing agent orange in Vietnam (and a couple of firefights and kills ) for 18 months back in 68 got my dad a few medals, a declined battlefield commission (his choice) and a lifetime of heart issues from the orange...a Second heart attack finally got him a few years ago at 70. But when the govt, several years ago now, copped to the widely reported no doubt about it lifelong heart issues of Vietnam vets caused by agent orange,, they started paying vets of that era like they should have been for decades. my dad had no idea until a few years before his death, when some other aging vet from that era talked to him (randomly met him by the ammo counter at wall mart of course) and the dude explained it all and between the heart issues and I think they threw in some extra for ptsd and alcoholism (sober 36 years when he went) my dad was at 140%. It was like 4 K per month tax free

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
breathing agent orange in Vietnam (and a couple of firefights and kills ) for 18 months back in 68 got my dad a few medals, a declined battlefield commission (his choice) and a lifetime of heart issues from the orange...a Second heart attack finally got him a few years ago at 70. But when the govt, several years ago now, copped to the widely reported no doubt about it lifelong heart issues of Vietnam vets caused by agent orange,, they started paying vets of that era like they should have been for decades. my dad had no idea until a few years before his death, when some other aging vet from that era talked to him (randomly met him by the ammo counter at wall mart of course) and the dude explained it all and between the heart issues and I think they threw in some extra for ptsd and alcoholism (sober 36 years when he went) my dad was at 140%. It was like 4 K per month tax free
That’s exactly why my dad is 100% disabled now. Fucking Agent Orange man

• Angry
Reactions: the janitor

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Don't get me started. Off the charts would be the understatement of the century. Meanwhile the vets who actually need help don't get it.
There isn't help to offer. VA is either underfunded or too bloated, but the wait time for vets to get quality care is embarrassing. It also doesn't help that the docs are among the worst in the world, but like any federal government job, no one ever gets fired for incompetence. When the screeching gets loud enough congress acts, but it just increases the size of the bloated mess.

Regarding fraud. The way the regs are written, in absence of evidence to the contrary, the veterans words are enough. Stub your toe in basic and go to sick call, you can claim it as recurring pain or arthritis 20 years later as long as it's in your file. One toe equals 10%.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
There isn't help to offer. VA is either underfunded or too bloated, but the wait time for vets to get quality care is embarrassing. It also doesn't help that the docs are among the worst in the world, but like any federal government job, no one ever gets fired for incompetence. When the screeching gets loud enough congress acts, but it just increases the size of the bloated mess.

Regarding fraud. The way the regs are written, in absence of evidence to the contrary, the veterans words are enough. Stub your toe in basic and go to sick call, you can claim it as recurring pain or arthritis 20 years later as long as it's in your file. One toe equals 10%.
The government bureaucracy and people taking advantage of the system creates the perfect storm. There's not way too fix it at this point.

Reactions: Ifallalot

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Dad was a paratrooper during the nam. Fucked his back up. VA made it worse from quack surgery. He went from 30, 50, 70, finally 100%

he truly is disabled.These vets are at the complete mercy of the va. They decide your treatment, meds, disability. It’s shitty.

when he reached a certain % I got free college and a monthly check.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Meanwhile the vets who actually need help don't get it.
My father had a lot of hearing loss from working on the flight deck during Vietnam
Combined with presbycusis he is now practically deaf - he will not hear an alarm going off next to him if he's sleeping.

He has probably needed hearing aids since his late 30s - could not get them until his 50s.

It was always the same story until he often couldn't hear the phone ring: "Your hearing tests fine."

I have friend in his late 30s going through the exact same thing right now with the VA
Noise induced hearing loss from combat.
Like my father was, the hearing loss is readily apparent within a few interactions
He went to get checked
"Well they told me my hearing tests fine.":rolleyes:

And then you wonder why people in this country get turned off to socialized Medicine.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Dad was a paratrooper during the nam. Fucked his back up. VA made it worse from quack surgery. He went from 30, 50, 70, finally 100%

he truly is disabled.These vets are at the complete mercy of the va. They decide your treatment, meds, disability. It’s shitty.
Some VAs are good

Some are absolutely terrible.