A way to kill surf schools?

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
HAve seen insurance requirements b4 - enforcement is a problem still.
I would say that your best bets may be to :

- start soooo many surf schools that people truly get fed up
- encourage surf schools to take ungodly amounts of scholarship kids that it makes their business unstainable.

good luck

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
20190925_150332.jpg

There's a young Mom and Dad in this iconic surf photo on Oahu's north shore whose son runs the surf school at San Onofre which is quite successful with kids and parents that attend the surf school each summer. Permits, insurance, etc are applied for and granted because it's a stable and welcomed summer event.
Dad was well loved in the surfing community and also had his own model surfboard at one time. He was one of my best friends. His boy can go the the West side of Oahu or the north shore and be embraced by many now days because they're of the same age and time frame of the photo. He was also a world champion longboard surfer when it was an event decades ago. It's the Mom and Dad's, that are being lost in this photo from a by-gone era.
Son and his crew try and tell the kids about surfing's etiquette and rules of the road as I've heard them tell the kids on the beach and again when I'm hauling boards back up the beach or making sandwiches for lunch. Now whether the kids retain the small lesson of rules of the road, that's entirely a new ball game.
Brewer, is in the green shirt. Billy Hamilton in the jacket with Laird in his hands. My friend, wife and boy are in the photo.
Stop the complaining! it's YOUR BREEDING, that's clogging the line up ~ :trout:
Use a rubber or get your wife fixed ~

Last edited:

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Son and his crew try and tell the kids about surfing's etiquette and rules of the road as I've heard them tell the kids on the beach and again when I'm hauling boards back up the beach or making sandwiches for lunch. Now whether the kids retain the small lesson of rules of the road, that's entirely a new ball game.
Brewer, is in the green shirt. Billy Hamilton in the jacket with Laird in his hands. My friend, wife and boy are in the photo.
That's just it. How many of these camps and schools are teaching any kind of etiquette or rules of the road? If they are, I'm not seeing it.

Also, sick name dropping and ad hominem attack, bro. You win today's most core poster.

• Dislike
Reactions: Joshua2415

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I agree w/ @PPK96754 - that it's been done well before and can continue to be done well going forward - still though the influx in certain areas in insane (also Hawaiians appear to have the unique ability to see insane crowds along side of a semi-well regulated surf scene). Mainlainders do not have the same luxury (?) or maybe we do and dont know it (being assholes to everyone is a different thing compared to 'well-regulated' - In essence - maybe the 'me first' culture here prevents us from having both good things (surf schools and nice places to surf where stuff kind of makes sense)

This is anecdotal as I don't live in Hawaii - have only been a visitor to a few Islands - but we seem to be f'd in some areas - surf school wise.

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Maybe I should clarify, what PPK described sounds like people doing it the right way for the right reasons.

I'm talking kook factories that advertise on Instagram and pump out 15 new clueless VALs a weekend here in SoCal taught by some burnout wannabe fitness influencer.

Reactions: PPK96754

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
How much media is out there about etiquette, signs at every surfspot with parking, I am sure the schools teach it. People just dont care(selfish) or stupid.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
View attachment 107343

There's a young Mom and Dad in this iconic surf photo on Oahu's north shore whose son runs the surf school at San Onofre which is quite successful with kids and parents that attend the surf school each summer. Permits, insurance, etc are applied for and granted because it's a stable and welcomed summer event.
Dad was well loved in the surfing community and also had his own model surfboard at one time. He was one of my best friends. His boy can go the the West side of Oahu or the north shore and be embraced by many now days because they're of the same age and time frame of the photo. He was also a world champion longboard surfer when it was an event decades ago. It's the Mom and Dad's, that are being lost in this photo from a by-gone era.
Man, There's a who's who of faces!
That's Sam Hawk right there in the middle.
A great story about him in the newest issue of TSJ, worth a read.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
View attachment 107343

Brewer looks almost like a grom.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
People and time continue to change, and history is history. In the 1950's and 60's, if you lost your board someone would retrieve it and bring back out to you and there would be pleasantries exchanged with a thank you. When you had to swim for your board, it took you out of the rotation which allowed someone else to grab a wave. The location didn't matter then, someone would always bring your surfboard back out to you if it was floating . Anywhere! California, Hawaii, Australia, even Cape Cod, when I lived in Massachusetts. Just the sign of the times then.

Shortboards came about, and so did the "leash." The entire surfing community changed over night. No swimming for your board, pleasantries and thank you's went out the door. Surf labels, sponsorships and the almighty dollar became the "prize." Home schooling became the new in thing for the kids and parents, let it happen. Surf coaches?? Really? Someone saw an opening and took up the challenge.
Lots of surf coaches abound now days. Are they teaching rules of the road? How about thank you's and general banter? Not in today's surfing arena.

Surfing, use to be an individual sport, a pass time to be in the ocean along with a few of your friends.
Surfing safari's up and down the West Coast or the Gulf state areas as well as the East Coast of the U S of A. Just a new adventure in one's life. Gas and food were cheap, loaf of bread, can of pork and beans and life was good. And, you could pull up to a surf spot, climb in the back of the car and get a few winks or just walk out on the sand, sleep on your board with a towel over yourself. Not anymore. Jail time more like it. Attitudes are, "you can't tell me chit" now days. The "yes ma'am and no sir" are far and few between.
People and history, change every day ~

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
That's just it. How many of these camps and schools are teaching any kind of etiquette or rules of the road? If they are, I'm not seeing it.

Also, sick name dropping and ad hominem attack, bro. You win today's most core poster.
"Some folks" may not know what Brewer looks like but know his name and brand. Same for Billy, who is a very close friend of mine. Name dropping? Never been my style. I just replied to your post. I certainly made no effort to attack you. Just what I knew and saw in my travels. My mention of "breeding" (which I Have said before to the complainers Here, for over crowded condition in the ocean). but I stand by my words. Use a rubber or get fixed. Breeding brings crowds and complainers follow.
And if you people, take your kid to the beach and teach them to surf, well it's on You, to be the Teacher of surfing etiquette and camaraderie.
My apologies, if you so felt that I was attacking you personally.

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
People and time continue to change, and history is history. In the 1950's and 60's, if you lost your board someone would retrieve it and bring back out to you and there would be pleasantries exchanged with a thank you. When you had to swim for your board, it took you out of the rotation which allowed someone else to grab a wave. The location didn't matter then, someone would always bring your surfboard back out to you if it was floating . Anywhere! California, Hawaii, Australia, even Cape Cod, when I lived in Massachusetts. Just the sign of the times then.

Shortboards came about, and so did the "leash." The entire surfing community changed over night. No swimming for your board, pleasantries and thank you's went out the door. Surf labels, sponsorships and the almighty dollar became the "prize." Home schooling became the new in thing for the kids and parents, let it happen. Surf coaches?? Really? Someone saw an opening and took up the challenge.
Lots of surf coaches abound now days. Are they teaching rules of the road? How about thank you's and general banter? Not in today's surfing arena.

Surfing, use to be an individual sport, a pass time to be in the ocean along with a few of your friends.
Surfing safari's up and down the West Coast or the Gulf state areas as well as the East Coast of the U S of A. Just a new adventure in one's life. Gas and food were cheap, loaf of bread, can of pork and beans and life was good. And, you could pull up to a surf spot, climb in the back of the car and get a few winks or just walk out on the sand, sleep on your board with a towel over yourself. Not anymore. Jail time more like it. Attitudes are, "you can't tell me chit" now days. The "yes ma'am and no sir" are far and few between.
People and history, change every day ~
Cooperation vs. Competition.

The theory of the Nth monkey.

N+1 = Competition, where Cooperation was the norm previously.

Surfing jumped the shark right around the short board and leash PPK speaks of imho.

It's all about the wannabes who crowd out uncrowded spots, #influence them all over the internet, and poof, they are #DONE.

Chit happens. Gentrification is a thing.

Humans know no other way.

We're even looking for new "spots" in outter space to ruin.

:socrazy:

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
"Some folks" may not know what Brewer looks like but know his name and brand. Same for Billy, who is a very close friend of mine. Name dropping? Never been my style. I just replied to your post. I certainly made no effort to attack you. Just what I knew and saw in my travels. My mention of "breeding" (which I Have said before to the complainers Here, for over crowded condition in the ocean). but I stand by my words. Use a rubber or get fixed. Breeding brings crowds and complainers follow.
And if people, take your kid to the beach and teach them to surf, well it's on You, to be the Teacher of surfing etiquette and camaraderie.
My apologies, if you so felt that I was attacking you personally.
I see what you're saying, good points - respect. No apology needed. :waving:

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
All suffering stems from desire.

I am so much happier now I quit surfing.

(Surfing was one of my favorite things BTW)

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
All suffering stems from desire.

I am so much happier now I quit surfing.

(Surfing was one of my favorite things BTW)
I quit before you did even.

:nana:

I never started!

I ride waves. Everything that is "Surfing" has always seemed pretty stoopid actually.

Fook surfing, fook surfers.

Also....

ER over ING every day of the week.

Unless it's TSJ, then? Fook em both!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: