A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Up here it's Tyee season again, although we're waiting on them to show up and none have been caught as yet.

For the past decade or so I have had a thread on my main fishing site wherein I try to keep people up-to-date on happenings in and around this time of year relative to Tyee fishing.
Here's the link to this year.

Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023 | SportFishing BC

Not much happening yet but hopefully that will soon change.

Here's last years thread so you can scroll through and see what I try to do each year.

Tales From The Tyee Pool........2022 | SportFishing BC

Take care.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Time to break out the coho bellies, headed back up to Kakutat at the end of August and need to purge the freezer. All the stuff I still have is A1 condition - we have a commercial vacuum sealer up there.
Simple teriaki, brown sugar, Kosher salt brine for 10-12 hrs. set on racks and sprinkle with red pepper flakes then rest on the racks in fridge for 8hrs.
Smoke the bellies for 3-4 hrs. depending on thickness, adding soaked applewood chips to the coals occasionally.
This batch is going to be used in a whipped cream cheese spread.:dancing:

IMG_1495.jpg
IMG_1496.jpg
IMG_1497.jpg
IMG_1502.jpg

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Finally got the kayak out to Lake Pacific. Limited on rockfish, got into some undersized ling cod that went back, and got burped on by a whale. Dragged a buddy out there for his first time and after he got a couple of his own, is totally hooked. Still may favorite way to fish around here since we can access areas that commercial don't bother with and most sport fish guys don't want to spend the gas to get to.

Turned em into some fish stick dinners. One of my kid's favorites.

kayak fish.jpg

rockfish lineup.jpg

breaded.jpg

skillet.jpg

fishstix.jpg

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Finally got the kayak out to Lake Pacific. Limited on rockfish, got into some undersized ling cod that went back, and got burped on by a whale. Dragged a buddy out there for his first time and after he got a couple of his own, is totally hooked. Still may favorite way to fish around here since we can access areas that commercial don't bother with and most sport fish guys don't want to spend the gas to get to.

Turned em into some fish stick dinners. One of my kid's favorites.

View attachment 159523

View attachment 159524

View attachment 159525

View attachment 159526

View attachment 159527
Nice catch! That's some good eats right there.
Out of all the great fish I catch up in Alaska (Salmon/Halibut/Lings) Those Black Bass are are one of my favorites!

Reactions: warble2 and npsp

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Made a solo run to my favorite islands for my favorite fish (yellowtail). Just in time to make my wife a nice dinner for her birthday on Wednesday. Ended up with a couple of yellows, half a dozen good grade bass, and a few pesky barracuda. I forgot how difficult it can be gaffing your own fish :)

IMG_7320 (1).jpg
IMG_7322.jpg

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Carolina rig is goat rig for anything under 50 lbs - nice croaker!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Annual dive trip to Block with a quick offshore run with good weather last week. Put the beat down on some yellowfin. Don't tell anyone we were within ear shot of a current wind project going in. Whales, dolphins and birds like you wouldn't believe.
Damn that's a good grade fish. Must have given you hell on that spinner

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
We have a few Tyee being registered this year and here's a couple of them.
All in the 30 pound range so far.

The last photo is of the 45 pounder I rowed Aaron to back 10 years ago.
Haven't been any that big since.
Note 61 on board. Biggest one in 30 years, naturally during the year when I got my big one.
Not a terribly flattering photo of me but it's the fish that matters.

Tyee23Berkenstock.jpg
Tyee23Stutzel.jpg

TyeeAskey23.jpg

TyeeBoles45.jpg

Take care.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Met up with some old friends this weekend. Family and neighbors eating well for the next few days.

August 23 sheepshead.jpg

Chased what I thought were Spanish Mackerel for a bit in the kayak, turned out to be Bonito. Not bad on the grill with teriyaki glaze, but would love to try them marinated and smoked.

August 2023 Bonito.jpg

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
A few from the Chesapeake Bay recently. Kept two cobia (hooked probably 8), a bunch of spanish. Live spot and eels were working for the cobia, lost a massive one at the boat...Also put the crab pots out in the creek for a Sunday feast.

Spanish.jpeg
Cobia.jpegCrabs.jpeg

Last edited:

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
A few from the Chesapeake Bay recently. Kept two cobia (hooked probably 8), a bunch of spanish. Live spot and eels were working for the cobia, lost a massive one at the boat...Also put the crab pots out in the creek for a Sunday feast.

View attachment 161069
Jealous! I lost a good size cobia off my yak last year and have been on the hunt for redemption since.

Reactions: wedge2

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Jealous! I lost a good size cobia off my yak last year and have been on the hunt for redemption since.
That's a goal of mine...We have to knock them out once they get on board (see the mini bat, we have since moved up to my unc's wood Louisville slugger from the 70s) - can't imagine in a kayak...here for it though!

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
That's a goal of mine...We have to knock them out once they get on board (see the mini bat, we have since moved up to my unc's wood Louisville slugger from the 70s) - can't imagine in a kayak...here for it though!
Used to use something called an ugly billy by Shakespeare for aggro fish, worked well.