A guy OD'd in front of my shop this morning.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Anyway to get back to homelessness, I don't understand what the difference is between San Francisco and Jacksonville. You are just as homeless on $15 and change an hour in San Francisco as you are on $9 an hour in Jacksonville.

https://www.google.com/search?q=starbucks+barista+san+francisco+wage&oq=starbucks+barista+san+francisco+wage&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.6088j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=starbucks+barista+jacksonville+wage&oq=starbucks+barista+jacksonville+wage&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.5951j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I mean if I'm sleeping without a locked door, I might pick the city I'm less likely to be murdered in. 2018: 46 vs 128. Total populations in the 890k range for both.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Duffy said:
Sharkbiscuit said:
grapedrink said:
Capitalism is far from perfect, but it does a far better job than government at assigning value and allocating resources. There is more than enough proof in history to support this.
Reagan throwing them in the street was the capitalist solution to the problem of these people having resources allocated when they have no value. Their situation is a consequence of their circumstance and decisions within a capitalist economy.

Best system we have; kind of hilarious to think there's going to be a competition-based solution to a problem resulting from competition. Personally, universally available, free of charge assisted suicide makes more sense to me than universal basic income, but either way, it's going to get far, far worse when people who don't know anything about machine learning haven't died by 2030.
Reagan?

You realize that was 35 years ago, don’t you?
grapedrink seemed to call it Reagan's blunder, my old boss, a staunch Republican, thought it was by far the worst thing he did. YMMV.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I'm not sure how it's Reagan's blunder and not capitalism's blunder
Well, it was Reagan that put them on the streets and closed the doors. Not sure how capitalism is supposed to help people who are unemployable, which yes, is a flaw. The only option is for them to get treatment at a government funded facility, which is why I don't think capitalism is the answer for everything.

No system is perfect and takes care of everyone. It's more about what is capable of taking care of the most people.

Anyway to get back to homelessness, I don't understand what the difference is between San Francisco and Jacksonville. You are just as homeless on $15 and change an hour in San Francisco as you are on $9 an hour in Jacksonville.
You would have a better idea of this since you live there, but I imagine that the % increase in the cost of rent alone for place in SF vs Jacksonville is far higher than the % increase in minimum wage. Not a whole lot of people are actually paid minimum wage, and a lot of people don't live alone.

grapedrink seemed to call it Reagan's blunder, my old boss, a staunch Republican, thought it was by far the worst thing he did. YMMV.
Uh oh, now I'm ilked. I think that its still valid after 35 years, given that the level of funding and support is not what it used to be.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I’m glad Skully’s doormat made it into the thread. Nice work.

Ronnie Raygun stepped in it for sure.

How do so many people end up homeless? There are homeless in big cities here, mostly people with mental health issues. In the provinces squatters aren’t tolerated, especially in beach towns where the cops move them along to be somewhere else’s problem.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
grapedrink said:
You would have a better idea of this since you live there, but I imagine that the % increase in the cost of rent alone for place in SF vs Jacksonville is far higher than the % increase in minimum wage. Not a whole lot of people are actually paid minimum wage, and a lot of people don't live alone.
Our benchmark baristas are clearing their respective minimum wages by about 50 cents. Not sure if there is a specific occupation/living situation you had in mind.

I used bankrate's COL calculator yonder: https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

SF Metro vs Jax Metro

Back of napkin google source/math, barista makes:

$15.44SFhrs x 52w/yr x 40h/w = $32115.2yr
$9JAXhr x 52w/yr x 40h/w = $18720yr

Threw the top into the calculator and came up with $18023 to maintain std of living in Jacksonville. $697

The testimonial was a homeless lady with a job and Mom in Florida. I'd keep the bird in the hand in SF. Unemployment in SF is microscopic. She doesn't have a job here, and if you are netting $697 in Jacksonville, grabbing your ankles and walking backwards through the Castro will be mild compared to trying this South of Daytona, where most of "Florida" actually lives.

I'd rather be poor in a state with MediCAL that opted into ObamaCare. I'd rather be homeless in San Francisco just for less rain, warmer winter nights, and much cooler summer nights. I'd rather struggle to pay bills in a shitty neighborhood in SF than in Jax in terms of safety. I'd rather be unable to afford a car in SF. Far more other employment opportunities in a given commute radius.

But some Souther named grapedrink is loc'ing her out of SF. Check your privilege, shitlord. Let's see how well you raw vegan dumpster dive behind a fucking Waffle House, mother fucker.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
heelnipstr said:
when society does not adjust to the robotic automatization of most jobs, unassisted suicide will be taught as a core class in middle school.
Someone will have to still design and repair the repair robots.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
But some Souther named grapedrink is loc'ing her out of SF. Check your privilege, shitlord. Let's see how well you raw vegan dumpster dive behind a fooking Waffle House, mother fooker.
:roflmao: :ban:
Just so I’m clear, I don’t think it’s easy to live anywhere on minimum wage. The difference between coastal California and most of the rest of the country is as move up the scale, $15-20 hour will get you an okay standard of living in a lot of the states. In LA or SF? :roflmao:

Quick google search for rent prices in SF net an average of $3700/month, and $2500 for a studio. While these are averages, which by definition means some are less, this gives you an idea of what it costs. $2500/month would be 1 of 2 after tax paychecks for an $80-90k salary. There’s no living minimum wage that will make that possible.

SF and other major coastal CA cities do have great job opportunities, but outside of there in the smaller beach towns, those types of jobs are slim to none, with a cost of living that is not too far off.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
ElOgro said:

If Skully's doormat asks GWS's doormat what time it is, GWS's doormat always answers "Two seconds till". After Skully's doormat asks "Two seconds to what?", GWS's doormat roundhouse kicks Skully's doormat in the face.

In an average living room there are 1,242 objects GWS's doormat could use to kill Skully's doormat, including the room itself.

GWS's doormat can roundhouse kick Skully's doormat so hard that it can actually alter Skully's doormat's DNA. Decades from now Skully's doormat's descendants will occasionally clutch their heads and yell "What The Hell was That?".

GWS's doormat is the only human being to display the Heisenberg uncertainty principle - Skully's doormat can never know both exactly where and how quickly GWS's doormat will roundhouse-kick Skully's doormat in the face.

Skully's doormat once tried to tell GWS's doormat that roundhouse kicks aren't the best way to kick someone. This has been recorded by historians as the worst mistake anyone has ever made.

GWS's doormat has never been in a fight, ever. Do you call one roundhouse kick to the face a fight?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Reagan let the crazies out of the nuthouses because of pressure from the ACLU and a Supreme Court ruling on a lawsuit called O'connor vs. Davidson.

I used to hate Reagan, but compared to the guy we've got in there now, Ronnie was awesome!

3dXman

Michael Peterson status
Mar 30, 2009
Koolville City
Autoprax said:
3dXman said:
Autoprax said:
I was walking through downtown Oside this morning and I kept catching whiffs of human fecal matter.

This is new.

Ironically, a. more poop.
HAHaa teh kjoke was on U,, when U went
home &chekced ur shorts., & we know U

lingered on hte ssmelliest ,block/

u should hang10 air freshemers in ur Car 2

Dont pick up, any Hitchhikrers either
in Ur dented-up StInkmobile,.

u dirty oldPig..

:vomit:
That's a lie, x man.

I just had the diarrhea that one time!

And I just happened to diarrhea on my office chair.

So what!

Teh ERBBsays ,2 2 1 odds It, wasnt UR
office chair. or even UR office

MayB could've bee n Ur desk tho.., :shrug:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Sharkbiscuit said:
ElOgro said:

If Skully's doormat asks GWS's doormat what time it is, GWS's doormat always answers "Two seconds till". After Skully's doormat asks "Two seconds to what?", GWS's doormat roundhouse kicks Skully's doormat in the face.

In an average living room there are 1,242 objects GWS's doormat could use to kill Skully's doormat, including the room itself.

GWS's doormat can roundhouse kick Skully's doormat so hard that it can actually alter Skully's doormat's DNA. Decades from now Skully's doormat's descendants will occasionally clutch their heads and yell "What The Hell was That?".

GWS's doormat is the only human being to display the Heisenberg uncertainty principle - Skully's doormat can never know both exactly where and how quickly GWS's doormat will roundhouse-kick Skully's doormat in the face.

Skully's doormat once tried to tell GWS's doormat that roundhouse kicks aren't the best way to kick someone. This has been recorded by historians as the worst mistake anyone has ever made.

GWS's doormat has never been in a fight, ever. Do you call one roundhouse kick to the face a fight?
:roflmao:
All fair points. Although Skully's doormat has faced its fair share of trying times. I don't think GWS's doormat has ever felt the wrath of an unknown Armenian chick hellbent on blowing up his sh!tter :toilet:
Nor has it had to get stepped on from a 7 month preggo chick doing the walk of shame of Skully's dumpy apartment post coitus :barf:
Plus, you have the ever present threat of reprisal from whoever's car got milkshaked by Skully. Even if there was no quick drying cement present, the threat remains :drowning:

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
ElOgro said:

Ronnie Raygun stepped in it for sure.

How do so many people end up homeless? There are homeless in big cities here, mostly people with mental health issues. In the provinces squatters aren’t tolerated, especially in beach towns where the cops move them along to be somewhere else’s problem.
Ever seen the acid casualty gringos who end up homeless in San Cristobal, Oaxaca, etc? That's a whole new level of insane.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Autoprax said:
These were all somebody's little baby.

Some mother held that kid with hopes for her baby.

SAD
It's fucked when you see someone you knew on the street.

I can't imagine what it would be like to see your own kid.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Sharkbiscuit said:
ElOgro said:

:roflmao:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Skully kicked a black woman in the head, if I were you I’d strongly recommend being armed for any confrontation.