A chat about the AM1/AM2 fin template.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't want to misquote, but I think GG said the popularity of the AM was due to the rise of boards with heavy tail rocker.

I think the AM is quite different than most other templates.

There was a time the the K2.1 was very popular.

GG's looks like a hybrid of the AM and k2.1

Reactions: JDJ and santacruzin

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Have always been a fan of Am1's & Am2's in honeycomb. Pretty much my go to in thrusters unless the board has very little tail rocker.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I don't want to misquote, but I think GG said the popularity of the AM was due to the rise of boards with heavy tail rocker.
Biolas has a new template that is larger and more raked which he described as working well in his modern HPSBs with more tail rocker.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
AM2 are iconic. I ran them for years as my go to. They have tons of drive. Great for point surf.

Ever since the DHD L came out those have been my favored fin. They are smoother and more connected feeling. More predictable and easier to turn.

Sometimes the am2 could feel a little unbalanced or something because of that smaller center fin, I think. Maybe they are just a little more fin than I really need at my weight. They can feel tracky and stiff in the wrong board.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I know AM2’s are a go-to for many, including a slew of pros. I still haven’t had a bort where they’re my preferred choice. I keep a set just in case the’ll be the one, but it hasn’t happened yet. MF’s work better for me in my trusters, large for wider tails and mediums for staps/narrower tailed borts.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Casa you might want to give the Coffin fin a try. I always felt like the AM1 was too small for anything other than really narrow tailed boards. Coffins are basically AM1.5 and we're far and away my favorite overall fin when I was 160#

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
What changed with the newer version of Jordys? Center fin more raked?
I had a set of the old green/black ones but never really gave them a fair shake.
I ran AM2s in my first P2 briefly before switching out to some old Roberts L which felt perfect.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Really?

I never had any of Greg's fins, they always looked like a fuller tmeplate in pics.
I'd concur with this, but Griffin, the farthest forward the trailing edge comes is at the base, whereas almost all other fins, the trailing edge is forward of the base as it goes up then curves more to the back. I have a very weak suspicion/theory that these fins are better for pumping in disjointed mush. GG's fins IMHO there is definitely a lift/planing thing happening.

Put me down for someone who said Jordy/CI are similar. I dunno what CI, but like almost 10 years ago, I bought some Jordy Larges, and I went in to Sunrise thinking I'd get the CI. The shop duuuu pulled both out and they were extremely extremely similar.

I love the CI template. They make big, drivey fins. I want something to push against that'll push back. They generate a good amount of down the line distance per pump, and I can hold a longer arc at speed better than the more upright templates. There seem to be relatively few competitors in their size/sweep other than the FCS2 JS large, which are still a hair small for me but feel great as well in the right conditions. Other fins don't generate or hold speed as well. But they do pivot much better than the CI for me.

If I surfed top to bottom bowling waves I'd probably think these things were ass trash, as I like the more upright fins like Pyzel (FCS2) or F8 (Futures) which I think predate the P8/R8.

True Ames middle - almost identical to CI in-house Left front, and ancient fiberglass CI GAM-1 front. I recco'd the GAM-1 to Josh Miller (shaper here in Jax) who I've had several boards from and ridden several personals. He hated them with a passion. In general, he likes a shorter wider board with less fin and I like a longer board with big, swept fins.

View attachment 20240410_113458-min.jpg

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What changed with the newer version of Jordys? Center fin more raked?
I had a set of the old green/black ones but never really gave them a fair shake.
I ran AM2s in my first P2 briefly before switching out to some old Roberts L which felt perfect.
The OG Jordy fin were all 3 the same size, I think.

The newer camo ones are very similar to the AM2 with the smaller center fin but all 3 fins ever so slightly smaller. I think the foil is slightly different as well but I need to compare them again to be sure. There is a new Jordy colorway out now but I think they are still the same as the camo fin. I do think the Jordy's feel different than the AM2's but not by a lot.

Reactions: emmohl80

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
I ride both the am2s and am1s in honeycomb. They both work great in different boards when the waves get a bit bigger. Super dependable and predictable for me

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
AM2s went in my board and never came out.
I have Roberts L in another board and they never really came out.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I HATE AM fins.

They haven't worked for me in a single board despite me loving larger front fins and a smaller center fin in almost every thruster set-up. Hard to put a finger on exactly why since I love boards with high tail rocker but Casa description of feeling dead is accurate in my case as well and they lack a certain amount of get-up-and-go speed that I'm used to with other fins.

Love the K2.1 / Reactor / WCT template. Those work for me in almost everything, but those are upright. If I'm going with a rakier fin, the MF works much better......but I will usually replace the center fin with something smaller.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
I HATE AM fins.

They haven't worked for me in a single board despite me loving larger front fins and a smaller center fin in almost every thruster set-up. Hard to put a finger on exactly why since I love boards with high tail rocker but Casa description of feeling dead is accurate in my case as well and they lack a certain amount of get-up-and-go speed that I'm used to with other fins.

Love the K2.1 / Reactor / WCT template. Those work for me in almost everything, but those are upright. If I'm going with a rakier fin, the MF works much better......but I will usually replace the center fin with something smaller.
Same for me. No way to get the AM2 going. Also like the reactor, k2.1, but algo the performers and accelerators. MF ok too. AM2 are horrible IMO.