70 cm mast

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Just got a new 2019 Naish 70cm mast to go with my 2018 Thrust Large. Kind of cool you can interchange parts back and forth from the different years. Eventually I might end up having the whole 2019 setup.

This one: http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2019-naish-aluminium-mast-70cm/?gclid=CjwKCAjw3qDeBRBkEiwAsqeO7r3KNmIjciy4m0KHGhYI33RdYgcNJPlno9KFvrPyBg059gxEA6kRLxoC6QMQAvD_BwE

Excited to try out the longer mast. To bad we're going to have off shores and a NW swell tomorrow. I'll have to ride a real board instead.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Hdip said:
Just got a new 2019 Naish 70cm mast to go with my 2018 Thrust Large. Kind of cool you can interchange parts back and forth from the different years. Eventually I might end up having the whole 2019 setup.

This one: http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2019-naish-aluminium-mast-70cm/?gclid=CjwKCAjw3qDeBRBkEiwAsqeO7r3KNmIjciy4m0KHGhYI33RdYgcNJPlno9KFvrPyBg059gxEA6kRLxoC6QMQAvD_BwE

Excited to try out the longer mast. To bad we're going to have off shores and a NW swell tomorrow. I'll have to ride a real board instead.
You're going to like the longer mast. I went from 24" to 27.5" (70cm) a few months ago. Give you more pump room and also more room to turn without touching rail.

GoFoil just came out with a 29" mast that those that have them like'm. Stiffer, doesn't flex/twist like the older set.

Give report please.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Also, a few of the original GoFoil loyalists are switching over to Axis foils. The US rep is here on Maui and been letting us sample. More wing size options, mast lengths, etc... I think this will push GoFoil to rethink their limited wing options. Same with Naish I guess too.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
How about armstrong foils? Foiltheworld on instagram just did a review of it, he makes it look pretty fun.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Hdip said:
How about armstrong foils? Foiltheworld on instagram just did a review of it, he makes it look pretty fun.
Haven't seen any Armstrong here. Most recently over the summer was impressed with the Signature foils from South Africa. I was foiling the next wave over from this vid and saw Nathan catch 50 waves in a row.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Rode the 70cm for the first time today. Carving is so much more forgiving now. I didn’t try pumping back out to sea to much today but I did get one run that took me out and past a guy paddling. That was fun. I think I’m gonna like it.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Rode it again. I was feeling lazy and slow today but made one super long wave with about ten or so pumps back out covering a good distance back then lost my balance and fell off. Look in and two foils are walking up the beach. One of them is the only other prone foiler I’ve seen out there besides me. Turns out he’s real good. Pumping all the way back to the take off after long rides. I was jealous. The other guy was the guy who was riding a sup and talking to me about foils yesterday. He’s only ridden behind a boat til today I think. Gonna be foil central out there next summer I think.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Ran into a friend after my session today that had the 70cm mast, I asked how he liked it and told me I should get one. He thought it made everything easier, pumping back out, turning and said he didn't breach anymore.

I was gonna get an abracadabra plate but may get the mast instead.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Agreed. Get the 70cm. The only reason not to use it is if you're at a very shallow spot. Otherwise it's all benefit that I've noticed.

With the abracadabra plate you're just adding weight and not really much benefit. You still have to loosen all 4 screws, then remove the 5th screw. If you're loosening them might as well just take them out.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Ouch. Anti seize lubricant? Here’s where I got that anti seize tip from. They use a brand called permeated.

https://youtu.be/q54p6hqp27c

Is it the mast from China?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I got the Naish, a buddy knows the rep so got a bro deal.

Funny that video has those guys replacing the hex screws for the no. 4 phillips, I swapped to hex.

Put some WD40 on it, hopefully overnight it'll free up the salt.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Night and Day on the 70cm, only legitimately breached once :hat:

Had to force a torx bit to free the screws, loosening everything after every session now (I have to break down my setup anyways).

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I take my mast and wing off every time. I leave the baseplate on the mast and the wings on fuselage though. I do break that down at least once a month. Put those parts together with the anti seize compound. I don't use that on the screws I take out every time though, to messy.

Would someone remind me to not try and foil overhead beachbreak? Thanks. I paddled out on my normal board and thought it was only head high, plus they were peaks that threw just a little bit on take off (but not enough to get truly barreled) and then it went into a deep channel on a lot of them. So I kept thinking it would be great for a foil. Ran in and changed 1/4 way into the session. It was alright, I foiled some waves. But dodging 8 foot sets, and duckdiving head high waves that you know are going to roll you is scary on a foil. Should've stayed on the normal board. It seemed like it was getting bigger at the end too.

Caught a just overhead right for my wave in that I'm surprised I made the drop and held on the whole way.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
So is a longer mast easier to learn on? Mine came w/ a 24" and a 15". Slingshot says to start w/ the 15"

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Longer it’s harder to balance. And you fall from higher. Once you learn how to get up on wing than the longer mast is more forgiving carving and to keep from breaching. But it also will make you fall on the wing easier so wait till you get a few sessions and then switch to the longer mast.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Has anyone gone back to the 55cm mast for shallow spots? I'm curious to do it, but don't want to waste a session and be annoyed that I don't have the 70 cm mast on?

Edit: Alright grendel, I'll try it. If I'm annoyed I blame you though. Also more XL wing reviews please. I need something to keep me going while I await clamsmasha's gong review. I've almost resorted to commenting to him on seabreeze. And I read standupzone foil forums now. I have issues.

Side note: How do I buy signature foils? I can't even find them for sale online. I need to know if they're that good at downwind or if that nathan kid is that good at downwind. Probably a bit of both.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I've been using it for that. Ride is a bit different, almost easier to get up and flying coming off the 70.

Wish I had it yesterday with the fast dropping tide.

Dec 5, 2018
Hdip said:
Side note: How do I buy signature foils? I can't even find them for sale online. I need to know if they're that good at downwind or if that nathan kid is that good at downwind. Probably a bit of both.
I herad the Signature are super good and easy for DW. I tried to get in touch with them to see if they have any demo foil in California but looks like not yet.