44% of American households have less than $1,000 in savings

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
shits rough out there. i have friends with 2 kids, humble belongings - combined six figure incomes and they dont have anything saved up but not for lack of trying. house, school, clothes, and food - that sh!t adds up. sad that we over here yolo'ing thousand dollar surfboards like they aint no thing and other people are struggling but what can you do. master of your own fate.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
shits rough out there. i have friends with 2 kids, humble belongings - combined six figure incomes and they dont have anything saved up but not for lack of trying. house, school, clothes, and food - that sh!t adds up. sad that we over here yolo'ing thousand dollar surfboards like they aint no thing and other people are struggling but what can you do. master of your own fate.
It’s real easy for that to happen, especially in states where real estate is ridiculous like CA

Despite what the tax brackets might say, $200k is not a lot of money in LA, NY, SF, etc

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I know so many people struggling. I lent several friends money this year, they all paid me back.

i am lucky that two of my best friends got in my ear post divorce about getting serious about finances.
save and put money to work while you sleep

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
It’s real easy for that to happen, especially in states where real estate is ridiculous like CA

Despite what the tax brackets might say, $200k is not a lot of money in LA, NY, SF, etc
thats why im in no rush and frankly may never have kids. i save alot of money now. i buy stupid sh!t that makes me happy. lol

200k a year could be pretty good living for a single person in a coastal city/ w fam not so much.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Pay yourself first.

Stay off Amazon and other "easy to spend" sites.

Learn how to cook, as in with raw ingredients, not trader joes processed crap that is deceptively priced relative to the serving size. Pack your lunch.

Get an app that tracks your spending like Mint, you'd be surprised. Whatever they do with your data is probably worth what you get back in your own knowledge about your habits (at least it is for me).

Buy stuff in bulk whenever possible. Better to go to Costco or whatever and buy enough for 2-4 weeks than smaller trips 2-3 times a week, especially if your local supermarket is pricey. That way you aren't going to the store every 3-4 days just to get "a few items" and end up spending far more than you thought you would. Gives you an excuse to be lazy and clean out what you have before going back to the grocery store, again.

A lot of people are perfectly capable of saving money with some discipline, even if you live somewhere pricey or don't make much.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Pay yourself first.

Stay off Amazon and other "easy to spend" sites.

Learn how to cook, as in with raw ingredients, not trader joes processed crap that is deceptively priced relative to the serving size. Pack your lunch.

Get an app that tracks your spending like Mint, you'd be surprised. Whatever they do with your data is probably worth what you get back in your own knowledge about your habits (at least it is for me).

Buy stuff in bulk whenever possible. Better to go to Costco or whatever and buy enough for 2-4 weeks than smaller trips 2-3 times a week, especially if your local supermarket is pricey. That way you aren't going to the store every 3-4 days just to get "a few items" and end up spending far more than you thought you would. Gives you an excuse to be lazy and clean out what you have before going back to the grocery store, again.

A lot of people are perfectly capable of saving money with some discipline, even if you live somewhere pricey or don't make much.
And quit surfing now. Ask me how.

Seriously, best thing I did was buy real estate soon after I got married. You're going to be paying rent anyways, why not put some of those dollars into equity? Now I own a house that I could never afford to rent. My mortgage is about what a room shared in an apartment would be. I'm also lucky that my wife is the type who remembers prices for everything, and so she knows when something is a good deal or not. Off the top of your head, how many could of you tell me what the price for fruit and produce is? Rice, flour, milk, bread? I can't. My wife definitely can.

Don't know how the yunguns will do it in coastal California now. My mom worked for an MD and she said they're having a hard time getting young MDs to work in the beach cities because (with their student loan payments) they can't afford a nice home and being doctors and all, expect a high standard of living. That was ten years ago. Don't know about now.

Last edited: