3d shark attack, HI

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA

SOUTH KOHALA, Hawaii — A 65-year-old tourist from California was attacked by a shark Tuesday morning off the island of Hawaii, according to local authorities.

The woman was several hundred yards offshore kayaking in Anaehoomalu Bay in South Kohala when she was bitten on her right upper thigh, according to a Hawaii Fire Department press release. The tourist was brought to shore in a kayak and then airlifted to North Hawaii Community Hospital, where she is in stable condition, according to the fire department.

The fire department flew over several miles of shoreline after the woman was bitten and did not see any sharks in the water. However, the beaches in the vicinity are closed until further notice, according to the County of Hawaii Civil Defense Service.

The bite was approximately 12 inches in diameter and came from a five-foot blacktip reef shark, according to Dan Dennison, a spokesman for the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources. Dennison told CNN that this is unusual.

“[There is] no record of this species biting anyone in Hawaii,” he said.

This is the third shark attack in the state of Hawaii in 2019, according to department records. The last incident occurred with a victim in a canoe. The shark bit the side of the canoe but did not injure the boater.

In 2018, three incidents were reported, including an attack that cost the victim their right leg below the knee. No fatalities have been reported since 2015

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Got her on the upper thigh while in a Kayak!??

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI

By HNN Staff | April 23, 2019 at 9:24 AM HST - Updated April 23 at 11:39 PM
WAIKOLOA, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) - Kimberly Bishop and her husband enjoy spending time out on the water.

And that’s where the couple ― who split their time between California and Waikoloa ― were Tuesday morning when their ocean adventure took a frightening turn.

It was about 8:30 a.m., and Bishop was kayaking off Anaehoomalu Bay in Waikoloa.

Her husband was on a paddleboard.

“The water was really clear. I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary and then all of a sudden something hit me from behind and immediately dumped me over and bit my leg like right away,” Bishop said.

The 65-year-old said the shark that bit her quickly let go.

Bishop sustained a bite that was about 12 inches in diameter, and was airlifted in stable condition to North Hawaii Community Hospital. That’s where she was recovering Tuesday afternoon.

Bishop’s husband said after the incident, he spotted the shark before it swam away.

“I can’t imagine it was anything but a tiger shark. The bite length was pretty long,” he said.

Paddlers from the Waikoloa Canoe Club helped to bring the couple to shore. And beachboys warned others to get out of the water.

Warning signs were posted and authorities have closed beaches in the area until further notice. A flyover late Tuesday didn’t show any shark activity in the water.

After the incident, Bishop says she’s excited about getting out on the water again.

'I’m not afraid of going out in the water anymore and I’m not afraid of sharks," she said. “This is their home. We go into their home and things happen.”

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Apparently some experts believe the bite was caused by a Galapagos shark:
Authorities have determined that the shark that bit a 65-year-old California woman on her leg Tuesday at Anaehoomalu Bay on Hawaii island was not a tiger shark, and instead was probably a Galapagos shark.

Staff from the Division of Aquatic Resources at the state Department of Land and Natural Resources consulted with the former director of the International Shark Attack File to rule out tiger sharks as the species.

“It’s believed the shark was probably a Galapagos shark, 6-8 feet long, but a definitive determination can’t be made because it’s difficult to distinguish what are known as requiem sharks based solely on injuries,” the department said in a news release today.
Link from The Star Advertiser:
Galapagos shark was likely culprit in bite off Big Island, Hawaii officials say
:shark:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Time for the guy who said black tipped to get a new job. We saw a Galapagos shark on a dive once. Those things are thick!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
RWVBWL said:
Apparently some experts believe the bite was caused by a Galapagos shark:
Authorities have determined that the shark that bit a 65-year-old California woman on her leg Tuesday at Anaehoomalu Bay on Hawaii island was not a tiger shark, and instead was probably a Galapagos shark.

Staff from the Division of Aquatic Resources at the state Department of Land and Natural Resources consulted with the former director of the International Shark Attack File to rule out tiger sharks as the species.

“It’s believed the shark was probably a Galapagos shark, 6-8 feet long, but a definitive determination can’t be made because it’s difficult to distinguish what are known as requiem sharks based solely on injuries,” the department said in a news release today.
Link from The Star Advertiser:
Galapagos shark was likely culprit in bite off Big Island, Hawaii officials say
:shark:
Weird that one of those would bite.

I’ve been in the water diving with dozens of those around me on almost every dive for 2 weeks straight. Surfed right on top of them too.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Wait
You hang out with sharks?
on purpose?
I don’t know, man, maybe it’s just me, but personally, I think that’s pretty f*cked up
cowabunga
rg