32 Trillion gallons of water and counting.....

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Is there a way to recharge the aquifers?

The joke is that it's agriculture using all the water.

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
In an amazing bit of irony, cropland flooding in the Tulare Lake area is worse now because farmers have sucked so much water out of the ground that the level of the land has sunk by several feet, deepening the basin of Tulare Lake.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
In an amazing bit of irony, cropland flooding in the Tulare Lake area is worse now because farmers have sucked so much water out of the ground that the level of the land has sunk by several feet, deepening the basin of Tulare Lake.
that's going to bring a shitton of nitrates to the surface, too

I imagine it probably smells like fkn death out there

One party rule is why we haven’t had any new water infrastructure or meaningful legislation since.
maybe go back to the first page and read the article?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
For the last decade and a half or so.

Uh, maybe allocating more funds to build dams instead of trains to nowhere?
Building dams where?

Also, what makes you think dams can be built quickly or that Dems aren’t pushing for them?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Building dams where?

Also, what makes you think dams can be built quickly or that Dems aren’t pushing for them?

My mistake, “water storage” would’ve been a better descriptor.

Nonetheless, $4.4 B for a new reservoir vs 100+ B and 2 decades for a train from Bako to Merced tells you all you need to know about California govt spending priorities.

Reactions: npsp and GromsDad

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Nonetheless, $4.4 B for a new reservoir vs 100+ B and 2 decades for a train from Bako to Merced tells you all you need to know about California govt spending priorities.
high speed rail was approved via ballot initiative. A Republican was governor at the time. Said Governor was the Proposition’s biggest supporter.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
high speed rail was approved via ballot initiative. A Republican was governor at the time. Said Governor was the Proposition’s biggest supporter.
What was approved via ballot measure is not what is being built. Jerry Brown was by far the biggest HSR honk of them all and the idiotic voting public of our State continued to vote for this boondoggle just as they did on the gas tax. The people that have moved to California over the last two decades have brought the State to it's knees by electing complete $hitheads and voting for their idiotic policies.

Regarding water storage, we need to recharge our aquifers by building storm water retention basins and reclaiming all of our waste water for reuse and aquifer injection.
Regarding dam removal, remove the silted up dams that are no longer serving their purpose as storage devices. The big dams that produce power and store water for the masses need to remain and be upgraded.

While I love seeing Tulare Lake reappear, it will not do too much for aquifer recharge. From what i understand, there is an impermeable clay layer several feet below the surface layer that prevents the lake water from percolating and recharging the aquifer below the clay layer. Most of the water will either evaporate or be pumped out.

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I saw a really cool video on water management.

The Saudis just got their permit to dig new wells for the alfalfa farms in Arizona or somewhere turned down.

A lot of states are really trying to get their sh!t together.

The Feds too.

I guess CA is struggling because there are too many special interests.

It seems like big money Ag is driving the policy.

Not the Dems.

I'm sure the Dems are being incompetent.

Don't get me wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: afoaf

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
What was approved via ballot measure is not what is being built. Jerry Brown was by far the biggest HSR honk of them all and the idiotic voting public of our State continued to vote for this boondoggle just as they did on the gas tax. The people that have moved to California over the last two decades have brought the State to it's knees by electing complete $hitheads and voting for their idiotic policies.

Regarding water storage, we need to recharge our aquifers by building storm water retention basins and reclaiming all of our waste water for reuse and aquifer injection.
Regarding dam removal, remove the silted up dams that are no longer serving their purpose as storage devices. The big dams that produce power and store water for the masses need to remain and be upgraded.

While I love seeing Tulare Lake reappear, it will not do too much for aquifer recharge. From what i understand, there is an impermeable clay layer several feet below the surface layer that prevents the lake water from percolating and recharging the aquifer below the clay layer. Most of the water will either evaporate or be pumped out.
Cities have more ability to handle water themselves. see Sun Valley up in LA or Carlsbad’s desalination plant. I don’t see how massive projects happen in our lifetime.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

That goddam train is the biggest money pit ever. That $100B could've been spent on 20 different infrastructure projects that would benefit everybody, including pumping up rail capability along the existing SD<->SF rail corridor - the one that you know, actually goes where people live...

• Love
Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
High Speed Rail going to nowhere, still woefully unfinished.

Last time I drove through the valley, I noticed there are a bunch of sections of the HSR columns and even the top rail that alrady have gang graffiti on them. For fucck sake, they just barely finished some sections and already covered in graffiti. Going to be a hideous eye sore.

1683561447401.png
1683561694757.png

1683561749892.png

Reactions: PRCD

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I saw a really cool video on water management.

The Saudis just got their permit to dig new wells for the alfalfa farms in Arizona or somewhere turned down.

A lot of states are really trying to get their sh!t together.

We're able to do that since that piece of sh!t McCain died

McCain is the one who brought the Saudis here