kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
This is what I brought to indo this spring and it had me covered from 2' to 12'

5'11 x 19.25 x 2 9/16 - Pyzel Phantom
6'1 x 19.13 x 2 9/16 - Pyzel Radius
6'2 x 19.25 x 2 3/4 - Pyzel Ghost

If I were to head to salina cruz, for instance, I'd prob swap things around like so

5'9 x 19.5 x 2 9/16 - Pyzel Gremlin
5'11 x 19.25 x 2 9/16 - Pyzel Phantom
6'1 x 19.13 x 2 9/16 - Pyzel Radius

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Id like to think that I'd go somewhere with proper waves so...
6'3" Monsta box for an all-rounder
6'5" Ghost for just a little more juice and to get in a little earlier
XXXX bigger step up just in case (currently a Hydronaut but havent had it out to see how it goes).

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
5'8" Mandala Superchunk Microlight or VS Manta.
6'4" VS Time Machine
I'd have to buy a true step up if I was going somewhere the Time Machine couldn't handle.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If I'm picking the places (Mainland Mex, Jalama to BC, Angola around to Mozambique, Eastern Canada, Pacific Indo)

6'4" Baby Buggy
6'6" Roundpin
6'8" or 6'10" Roundpin

If I'm going to the world's most popular surfing hotspots as recommended by the Inertia, with essential oil recommendations by Stab style:

A depressing Charles Dickens step down
I'll ask the erBB alcoholics what their daily drinker in the 80-100 proof class is
6 round roundmag, to shoot myself in the face

Mar 13, 2019
I own more than 3 boards, but somehow I always end up bringing the same 3:
- The one I want to be riding
- The one I should be riding
- The one I end up riding

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
sd_101 said:
I guess a fish a DD and a stap.

Fish is whatever the flavor of the week is.
DD is a total crap shoot and I’m bound to bugger the decision
Stap will always be not enough or too much and I’ll end up riding the DD almost entirely.

I can’t even pick boards for a trip north of pt conception.
:roflmao:

I usually drive around with four boards in my truck when hunting surf locally and yet I when I find waves I inevitably discover that I've left the perfect board at home.

Last year I agonized over the decision to bring "only" five and then further agonized over which five boards to bring to Baja.

I ended up riding the Phantom 95% of the time and never even rode the step up I brought (6-6 Pigdog Pro). And yet the Phantom didn't make it into my 3 board travel quiver because it's kind of not a groveler or a perfect wave board. I dunno what's wrong with me.

Reactions: oznoosa

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Those of you forgoing the Fish/Groveler...what're you gonna do when it's smallish and/or mushy but fun?

Sounds like sharkbiscuit has a solid plan to drink himself blind and/or blow his brains out if it drops below waist high but how about the rest of ya?

Reactions: NeilRyan

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Aruka said:
Those of you forgoing the Fish/Groveler...what're you gonna do when it's smallish and/or mushy but fun?
If the waves are at all fun I can make an HPSB work well enough.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
bird. said:
Aruka said:
If the waves are at all fun I can make an HPSB work well enough.
I don't go on vacation to work :beer:

But I feel you, a stubby shortboard like a Stamps GX, Phantom, Subdriver, etc. grovel about as well as anything for a skilled surfer.

I think just outed myself :tomato:

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Aruka said:
a stubby shortboard like a Stamps GX, Phantom [...] grovel about as well as anything
You just described the vast, vast majority of my sessions at home :)

(Edited out the skilled surfer part for accuracy.)

Surfing is never work.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Current quiver:
5'7" 19" 2.18" sk8 Buzzssw pintail quad
5'8" 19.5" 2.375" Alpha Omega swallow twin
5'11" 18.75" 2.375" F4 battail quad
Next board order substitute for F4
6'3" 18.75" 2.25 sk8 2x4 stepup pintail quad

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Aruka said:

Sounds like sharkbiscuit has a solid plan to drink himself blind and/or blow his brains out if it drops below waist high but how about the rest of ya?
Take the bus back up to canyon-fed beachbreak. Below waist high problem turned into surprisingly manageable head high tubes solution. Negative misanthropy aside, yes, if this was heavy on the Central America, cultural stops with "surf" vs. straight up waves, Euro backpacker trail, there'd be a bottom end grovel, a daily driver shortboard, and the 6'6".

Baby Buggy imho will do great unless it's San-O mushy or Malibu crowded. I've ridden some pathetically weak knee-thigh dogshit here when it was cold and raining and therefore not covered in longboarders, and at thigh-waist with a little peak, little curve, little section on it, the thing lights right up.

I'm surprised the guy from Oregon isn't asking the question on the other side, because I am. This is an around the world trip. I'm picking one of the bigger boards listed, and I get scared and nurse my asshole with my thumb from the beach sooner than most. What happens when sh!t gets real at someplace real?

Edit: Saw post above - I have Baby Buggy and Sub Driver and Baby Buggy outgrovels the Sub Driver all day long.

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Wow. Id be curious as to the average height/weight of you guys. 6'10 being the biggest step up I saw seems very small considering the variety and size of waves you may come across on an around the world surf trip. Maybe its just me but I HATE to be undergunned when things really get moving in the ocean. Im 6'0 190 so Im probably on the bigger end but my good big wave board would easily be over 7ft with plenty foam for paddling into those big days at the deep water, open ocean, lots of water moving spots. Im far from some hell man, but Ill be damned if Im caught scratching around the inside going nowhere when theres bombs going off out the back.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Probably fishy, GX, and 6'6" Ghost. If it's too big for the Ghost I'm out of my element anyways.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Sharkbiscuit said:
I'm surprised the guy from Oregon isn't asking the question on the other side, because I am. This is an around the world trip. I'm picking one of the bigger boards listed, and I get scared and nurse my asshole with my thumb from the beach sooner than most. What happens when sh!t gets real at someplace real?

Edit: Saw post above - I have Baby Buggy and Sub Driver and Baby Buggy outgrovels the Sub Driver all day long.
The question definitely crossed my mind but I figured the answer was pretty self explanatory. If you bring the gun, you feel obligated to use it. Despite being from Oregon I'm not a charging hell man. I want to be more fearless...not that I really ever want to ride giant waves but I'd like to be more comfortable when it's double to triple overhead because those are the days where you can have it uncrowded and I think the biggest thing is that I KNOW I can safely surf those waves, no problem but my stupid brain won't just chill the eff out sometimes. Seeing people who I feel are not better surfers than me go out in heavy conditions and just charge it fearlessly fills me with shame. Every winter I terrify myself a number of times under the assumption that I am raising my threshold but I honestly don't know if it's working.

Around here though the big board is often times as much for the fact that you are chasing peaks in a huge playing field and there is tons of rip as much as it is for actually catching the waves. It might only be 1.5XOH but good luck holding position let alone getting into a wave on a little hpsb.

Usually when I'm traveling the waves are better quality and the larger board isn't needed but it always sucks to be undergunned when a real swell hits.

Bit of a side tangent but there was a 9-0 padillac on craigslist recently. Nice color and for a good price. My buddy was talking about picking it up, mostly just to hang on his wall since he's really no more of a charger than I am. I told him I couldn't have that thing hanging on my wall because looking at those really big wave boards makes me a little sick feeling.

Brb gotta poo.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Tomo Evo - over-volumed for 1-2ft days because it picks up anything and is still manuverable.

Tomo Cymatic or OB1 - for everyday use. The range on the Cymatic and OB1 would cover almost any condition (flat faced, mushy or steep) all the way from 3-7ft.

Tomo Hydronaut - for when the waves are mackin.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Aruka said:
Around here though the big board is often times as much for the fact that you are chasing peaks in a huge playing field and there is tons of rip as much as it is for actually catching the waves. It might only be 1.5XOH but good luck holding position let alone getting into a wave on a little hpsb.
If your around the world trip includes beachbreak at that size in Mainland Mex, SW France, Portugal, South Africa, Victoria, etc. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the rip currenty chasing (and being chased!) by grunty ones asswhoopty factor. Given my hatred of crowds, places like that would be the rule with only a small smattering of rural/pain in the ass reefs/points being surfed.

Throw in some other opportunities. Around the world. A month in a place like Punta Hermosa, Peru in season could surely see Punta Rocas or a reef at that class or above, but not quite Pico Alto, serve up some Grade A deep water movement within a confident, experienced intermediate's grasp, but not on a DD or something 2" longer. Not even close. Pacasmayo up the coast on a South but before Chicama really cooks. Punta Lobos in Chile, waves in West Australia, Tasmania, South Africa, Namibia, Ireland, Fiji, Hawaii...

I mean no sh!t on the 9 footer but something in the 6'8" to 7' range that has f--- the bull---t foam on the stringer and under the chest is a 100% must have unless you have Michael Phelps paddling and zen-like crowd patience to navigate the world's pressure cooker head high skateparks.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Aruka, if you feel comfortable saying, where are you at in Oregon? I grew up there but didnt learn to surf until I moved to CA.