3.4 million homeowners skip mortgage payments.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So their numbers are negligibly different than their neighbor who did lockdown? What's your point? Also- Q2 is not now

What are you basing busy and business as usual on? Traffic? Or places where people go outside of work?
My point is that if GDP numbers among like countries are "negligibly different" when Europe started making moves in Q1, we should see some discrepancy in Q2. In other words, this is an entry in the "lockdowns didn't mean much" column, empirically speaking.

Traffic, parking lots (there are three restaurants across the side street, two more across A1A, three more across the next side street over, and I ride past the commercial zone near the Pier on my bike sometimes) and some anecdata.

Granted, my anecdata is tightly clustered to the First/Treasure Coast zones, but I'm literally the only person in my friends circle who would have considered voting for a Democrat before 2004, and if the First Coast is 50/50 in general, 90% of the Democrat 50% is the 33% of Duval County that is African American.
The Treasure Coast is basically CPAC. I know multiple business owners who are shunning the "covid hoax" people and a family who the McCain campaign put in the background of the stump speech hasn't visited the wife's parents (aka the important inlaws) next county down since this broke, and they're not happy about it, and she's the closest of the children - her siblings are in Atlanta/Tallahassee.
Also, a couple of the more hardcore Republicans I know work in health care fields, so this is a rare issue they've broken with the party orthodoxy.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Dang Mullet stepped on a fckng rake and a half. I'm glad he was pissed about that dogshit performance, and I do think Texas A&M and UGA probably had more than 20k people, not that I personally care...

But the crowd isn't loud in College Station, Texas when Texas A&M has the ball. The problem was the Gators getting off on third down is like Melania getting off on Trump. Jesus H Christ Florida couldn't stop a mother who chlorophylls her own baby and rides dirty with the corpse in the trunk and pays her defense attorney in cowgirl fux. Florida couldn't stop bathtub with 20 Cubans in it sailing 90 miles with a trash bag fixed to a palm frond.

They made Kellen Mond look like the lovechild of Joe Montana and Tom Brady.

Then he goes and cries about it in the postgame, says he wants 90k in the Swamp yelling and spraying droplets everywhere, even the pickup truck driving Limp Bizkit fans in the Florida Press Pool are aghast (and this is a coach and press pool that supported Kadarius Toney 2nd amendment rights after he was seen running after a bookie named 'Tay Bang' with an assault rifle on campus holy f--k how is that a good look fk me standing) and sure enough, the Florida v LSU game this weekend is postponed, and Missouri next week is now in doubt.
Jesus Christ can you have 20W50 translate this?

But I think you are referring to Florida utilizing a Pac-12 level defense. At least USC doesn't have to play Oregon.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Jesus Christ can you have 20W50 translate this?

But I think you are referring to Florida utilizing a Pac-12 level defense. At least USC doesn't have to play Oregon.
Big-12 level defense. USC is a linebacker factory and Oregon had the Gang Green.

Florida's coach cried about the crowd size at Texas A&M (eg would affect the Florida offense) when the defense lost the game. Then he cried about he wants 90k people in the stadium in Gainesville this weekend because he had a sad that he lost. Then too many players got the 'rona and the game was cancelled.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Big-12 level defense. USC is a linebacker factory and Oregon had the Gang Green.

Florida's coach cried about the crowd size at Texas A&M (eg would affect the Florida offense) when the defense lost the game. Then he cried about he wants 90k people in the stadium in Gainesville this weekend because he had a sad that he lost. Then too many players got the 'rona and the game was cancelled.
So you're saying the FL coach is a disciple of Dick Vermeil?

And true about USC's linebackers - just have to ignore the secondary. Damnit they had a CB once named Eric Wright (yes, Eazy-E) but he couldn't even make it through half a season without getting popped for slanging X. Surprised FSU or Miami didn't accept his transfer.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
My point is that if GDP numbers among like countries are "negligibly different" when Europe started making moves in Q1, we should see some discrepancy in Q2. In other words, this is an entry in the "lockdowns didn't mean much" column, empirically speaking.

Traffic, parking lots (there are three restaurants across the side street, two more across A1A, three more across the next side street over, and I ride past the commercial zone near the Pier on my bike sometimes) and some anecdata.

Granted, my anecdata is tightly clustered to the First/Treasure Coast zones, but I'm literally the only person in my friends circle who would have considered voting for a Democrat before 2004, and if the First Coast is 50/50 in general, 90% of the Democrat 50% is the 33% of Duval County that is African American.
The Treasure Coast is basically CPAC. I know multiple business owners who are shunning the "covid hoax" people and a family who the McCain campaign put in the background of the stump speech hasn't visited the wife's parents (aka the important inlaws) next county down since this broke, and they're not happy about it, and she's the closest of the children - her siblings are in Atlanta/Tallahassee.
Also, a couple of the more hardcore Republicans I know work in health care fields, so this is a rare issue they've broken with the party orthodoxy.
My point was outside of commercial buildings and freeway work traffic it is busy and business as usual everywhere I've been since like the end of May

Orange County-yes
Arizona-yes
Utah-yes
Idaho-yes
Wyoming-yes
Montana-yes
Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks-yes

I've heard from people on my son's baseball team that Mission Beach was no different than usual as well.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So you're saying the FL coach is a disciple of Dick Vermeil?

And true about USC's linebackers - just have to ignore the secondary. Damnit they had a CB once named Eric Wright (yes, Eazy-E) but he couldn't even make it through half a season without getting popped for slanging X. Surprised FSU or Miami didn't accept his transfer.
Florida's best CB recruit in 2019 was Chris Steele, from Bellflower, and he transferred to Oregon and then to USC. I would expect one side of the field to be locked down next year.

Reactions: Kento

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
GB and France are under new lockdown. The pubs in North Ireland are shut down again. That’s serious! Evidently the euro model hasn’t been all that effective.

Reactions: PRCD

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
You are going to have to convince people you're worth your in-demand skill. A metric sh!t-ton of people are going to see someone over 50 and conclude technical liability. If you're in your upper 50s, you can count on being auto-assumed to retire early, just from a worst-case/risk mitigation standpoint for the business.
They always need part time teachers to fill comp classes that the full timers wouldn't be caught dead teaching.

It is funny that my boss is 15 years younger than I am.

I turned down classes this semester because I hate the Zoom teaching.

After I take my retirement I can teach 3 classes per year and it won't affect my pension.

I could probably retire now and I've on my pension because I live like a homeless person

But I have some much more to give society

PS, I'm shredding on the Canvas and Zoom.

College teaches you how to learn how to learn.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
GB and France are under new lockdown. The pubs in North Ireland are shut down again. That’s serious! Evidently the euro model hasn’t been all that effective.
I just Zoomed with one of my students who is in Vietnam and she is saying they are having no new cases.

F'ing commie!

Wish I was there!

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
They always need part time teachers to fill comp classes that the full timers wouldn't be caught dead teaching.

It is funny that my boss is 15 years younger than I am.

I turned down classes this semester because I hate the Zoom teaching.

After I take my retirement I can teach 3 classes per year and it won't affect my pension.

I could probably retire now and I've on my pension because I live like a homeless person

But I have some much more to give society

PS, I'm shredding on the Canvas and Zoom.

College teaches you how to learn how to learn.
For sure. What college doesn’t teach you how to do is do. The transitional period in a young adults life when they start learning how to stop living with/off their parents and enter the job market. People around our age entered the work force, at least part time, before they got out of high school. Housing in Southern California was affordable to the masses in the 70’s. I could have bought the house where I lived in San Clemente, a block from the beach for 40k and that was achievable on a union laborers salary. 10 bucks an hour. The same house last sold for a million clams, I don’t know what union scale is now but I don’t think it’s gonna qualify you for a million $$ loan.

Reactions: PRCD

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Post 50 on the job market is a tough pull. So I've been told anyway...
Tough, but doable
Not a brick wall
A friend in tech just got a new job at 60+ through a great reference by a former co worker
Gotta stay relevant and keep your skills up to date
And feeling, acting, and looking like you’re not at retirement age helps
If you’re already past that point, you’re going to have a bad time

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Tough, but doable
Not a brick wall
A friend in tech just got a new job at 60+ through a great reference by a former co worker
Gotta stay relevant and keep your skills up to date
And feeling, acting, and looking like you’re not at retirement age helps
If you’re already past that point, you’re going to have a bad time
Your friend is the exception, not the rule.

55+ and caught in a downturn good luck to ya. A company like the one I worked for can hire a freshie for less than half the cost, the by the hour margin is the same for $50/hr and $100/hr. Cost to the client is 1/2. This was for engineering work. Where you had to actually produce something.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Yep, not an enviable position
But if anyone here is in that position, it’s possible you’re also the exception to the rule
And if anyone is at that age and feeling vulnerable, skill up, and keep your extended network strong
Good companies hire people their good employees recommend
Actually, I referred a 50+ woman returning to the workforce after a looooong time raising kids
After about 17 or so years mostly home, she now is a star at a highly regarded tech company
Keep your network strong, people!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yep, not an enviable position
But if anyone here is in that position, it’s possible you’re also the exception to the rule
And if anyone is at that age and feeling vulnerable, skill up, and keep your extended network strong
Good companies hire people their good employees recommend
Actually, I referred a 50+ woman returning to the workforce after a looooong time raising kids
After about 17 or so years mostly home, she now is a star at a highly regarded tech company
Keep your network strong, people!
All good advice, especially the part about having a strong network. Especially with sales or anything transactional and/or that requires getting past gatekeepers. With the right contacts you can stay relevant.

Reactions: npsp

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I had a hard time getting a new gig at 41....

some of it had to do with only banging 10's, but it was still disheartening

now I'm doing the math to figure out if I can just quit now

I'm over this nonsense