6.8 Webster Desert Storm
6.2 Pyzel Ghost
6 Patterson IF15

• Love
Reactions: Maz

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Thanks. Will have to check them out after the holidays.

Naturally I have a small wave shortboard getting glassed down south right now. Ordered it just a week before I got the job up here. :roflmao:
never hurts to do the detour and give em a fondle on the way home from your next session. fam will never know. :beer::beer:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
kento there seem to be plenty of old school dim guns on craiglist. I would check there.

wait, where the fvck did you ride an 8'2" in socal? DId you do todos trips or something?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
kento there seem to be plenty of old school dim guns on craiglist. I would check there.

wait, where the fvvk did you ride an 8'2" in socal? DId you do todos trips or something?
Mostly used it in B5F-hood on large days and a couple other large-swell days around OC/SD (not Swamis) over the years. Last time I used it was at Todos, lost board into rocks, and all fins were ripped out. No idea even what fins to use - guy at Bashams (that place CHANGED) gave me stock FCS G5s; I'm suspicious. Need to rectify that. Any advice is welcomed.

Craigslist up here for any step-ups was nil unfortunately.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I'd contact Rusty or talk to Doc and order up a G-Money II through Aqua. Actually, I think they have some of those in the mid-7s on the rack right now.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
bummer. well maybe you can find something up there.
Yeah, I'll get off my ass eventually on that. I have a 6'6" with volume and a thick stringer and it generally handles, ditto this 6'7" lost roundpin. They've both handled in DOH Oxtura/Blacks over the years. Have gotten custom boards for so long, it's hard for me to buy off the rack. Good/dud ratio about 50:50; none magic. QK was first time in 20 years and we know how THAT went. :cautious: I don't know why but what's good for the gander has been shithouse for this goose. Heard there's a local shaper around here who is very talented so may hit him up eventually.

Oh how I wish I had not sold that one lost 6'10" to cuBe1 way back when. :roflmao: It literally was my choice of any board in the lost factory. Any. Board. And it was as good as one would expect but the 6'7" superseded it. And damnit now I wish I still had that 6'10".

My coworker was laughing at the voluminous 6'6" I have, calling it a potato chip. He'll flip his sh!t when I take the Speed Demon out on a smaller day. I look forward to this. :roflmao:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I looked at those Padillacs online just now. A 7'4" is 3 inches thick?! Ye gods.

I think my 8'2" is 2 1/2". :roflmao:
your over two bills right? its not about riding a big shortboard. its about paddle power.

once you decide to play on the outer bars youll figure it out. maybe not this fall/winter, but eventually

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
your over two bills right? its not about riding a big shortboard. its about paddle power.

once you decide to play on the outer bars youll figure it out. maybe not this fall/winter, but eventually
Just a touch over 2 bills. Part of it is just the intimacy of being part of the water; thicker boards just have always felt disconnected. As I have (painfully) learned, you are not duckdiving a gun no matter how damn thick it is. :drowning:

Definitely a mental block I need to overcome. But yes, even heavier spots in SoCal, there is a LOT more water moving up here and that's just on the playful days I've surfed so far.

Maybe you can answer this question - what size/kind of fins would you be using for a larger board up here?

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Just a touch over 2 bills. Part of it is just the intimacy of being part of the water; thicker boards just have always felt disconnected. As I have (painfully) learned, you are not duckdiving a gun no matter how damn thick it is. :drowning:

Definitely a mental block I need to overcome. But yes, even heavier spots in SoCal, there is a LOT more water moving up here and that's just on the playful days I've surfed so far.

Maybe you can answer this question - what size/kind of fins would you be using for a larger board up here?
i like fiberglass fins

i subscribe to stretch's fin theory. if its big and clean and you need to haul ass. quad.

i run stretch's 4.0 gun fins in my quad buzzgun. equal size fins front and rear.

if its big and sh!t (like most days) the last thing you want is to be flying along at 20 mph and hit some big ass bump. so big tri fins on those days for control. stretch's s2 5-fin large template in fiberglass is my go to for step ups. its available off and on from the stretch factory.

i also run the ta large channel islands template in glass in my 7-4 vector.

Rusty template large tri's are a good option but i cant find them in fiberglass.

pm the local shaper rec. i probably have an opinion.