2019 was a bust for surf in Southern California.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Southern Californians love so whinge on and on about how they never get good surf. My brother sends me pics from there all the time. He surfs almost every day.

Quit yer bellyachin'.

Reactions: gbg and tenover

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Sbd my torn meniscus I pretty much quit surfing. Barely getting some sort of competence back many years later. Cheers

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Southern Californians love so whinge on and on about how they never get good surf. My brother sends me pics from there all the time. He surfs almost every day.

Quit yer bellyachin'.
Sounds like he doesn't have a day job.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I don't think I saw a single completely flat day (1ft or less) all summer in Oceanside. Probably more flat days in winter/fall. Tons of days with at least shoulder high sets, and a few swells overhead. But ya, no macker (2x-3x Ohead) So Hemi souths like some summers. Fall/winter has been OK. Nothing exceptional, yet. Give 2019 a 6 at best.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
No way, it wasn't all time, but not even close to a bust...Newport/Huntington/La Jolla all had gemz.

Turn that frown upside down cuz
HB had gems but the windows were so small I think we can still call it a bust

I feel like we have east coast style windows of good conditions lately

And the water was never consistently warm

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
2019 recap:

Jan-May Pretty good to ++ for Florida standards.

June - August: The most horrendous dogshit summer I've seen since with possible exception of 1999, and I lived farther south where trade swells are a 1.5h road trip. Seriously this summer was god awful diarrhea out the back end of a junkyard mutt. Other than Red Snapper mini-season the fishing (surf) was fckng garbage as well.

Sept-Dec: One of the best falls ever. Very consistent; conditions were a bit windy at times but the clean days are so often kook gooned beyond all comprehension that some onshore wind is basically a blessing.

It also kind of feels like the outside sandbar got way full after a couple storms, and now HQ cops current like a mofo and the low tide paddle out on anything under 8 seconds and over waist high is now surprisingly grueling.

I sold my Puddle Fish pretty early in 2019 after forcing it in a variety of conditions in 2018 and spending sessions on it comparing it unfavorably to the rest of my quiver. Still liked it more than Monkfish and RV.

I found plane tickets to be of some use in Summer 2019, going 2/3 overall and 1/2 on surf trips.