2 boards for me

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That thruster outline is so good. A little extra width but nothing extreme. No lumps or bumps, just clean curves.

Stocked to see you back on here DK. Looks like you haven't lost your touch.

Reactions: j_mac and dk

dk

Kelly Slater status
Sep 14, 2003
Leucadia
Visit site
I always find it interesting to see what shapers are riding.

Any more deets on the bottom, foil and twin placements?
One of the guys in my glass shop asked me to make him a shortboard as a twin fin set up. His was longer and narrower at 6’1” x 19.5 x 2.5 as he is taller and skinnier than I. I decided to go a little shorter and more of a groveler on mine. This one doesn’t have a beak at all. Pretty racey high performance foil/rocker combination. I take better photos showing the rocker/foil.

My twin fin template is super similar to the Akila Aipa twin fin template. I made it about 15 years ago by mashing together a CI mtf template TFAD had sold me and the height/base size similar to an MR style twin template. I generally place my fins where I want the rider’s foot to be on the twin fins. My fins on this board sit at 8 1/2” up. So substantially further back than the twin fins of decades ago. Obviously further back makes the fins feel a little more drivey and less sliding out while pushing the cluster back also helps pull the nose a little higher out of the water.
I attribute twin fins coming back strictly to Burch ripping in that one Volcom video at G land.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
One of the guys in my glass shop asked me to make him a shortboard as a twin fin set up. His was longer and narrower at 6’1” x 19.5 x 2.5 as he is taller and skinnier than I. I decided to go a little shorter and more of a groveler on mine. This one doesn’t have a beak at all. Pretty racey high performance foil/rocker combination. I take better photos showing the rocker/foil.

My twin fin template is super similar to the Akila Aipa twin fin template. I made it about 15 years ago by mashing together a CI mtf template TFAD had sold me and the height/base size similar to an MR style twin template. I generally place my fins where I want the rider’s foot to be on the twin fins. My fins on this board sit at 8 1/2” up. So substantially further back than the twin fins of decades ago. Obviously further back makes the fins feel a little more drivey and less sliding out while pushing the cluster back also helps pull the nose a little higher out of the water.
I attribute twin fins coming back strictly to Burch ripping in that one Volcom video at G land.
:cheers: Thanks!

and yeah, I ordered my first tkf after that video came out and the rest is history.