The Official OBSF Support Group

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
That's why I think they should float surfboards with dummies in a wetsuit around line ups, deliberately provoking an attack, so they learn to associate our silhouettes with a mouthful of fiberglass, foam and rubber.
shark training? keep thinking.

surfer/fisherman have tried something similar at the farallons. toss an old board over the side and wait for detonation to see if its safe to surf. seem to recall the average board lasted around 5 minutes.

sharks probably dont need the practice biting things but maybe its one of the few fun things they get to do in a day

Reactions: tacos and jkb

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
shark training? keep thinking.

surfer/fisherman have tried something similar at the farallons. toss an old board over the side and wait for detonation to see if its safe to surf. seem to recall the average board lasted around 5 minutes.

sharks probably dont need the practice biting things but maybe its one of the few fun things they get to do in a day
I guess what you’re telling me is that they’re stupid animals. A mouth full of fiberglass can’t be nice.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I guess what you’re telling me is that they’re stupid animals. A mouth full of fiberglass can’t be nice.
not stupid in a survival sense. got to have one of the planets most efficient central nervous systems. but imprinting a learned behavoir? you realize the shark brain closely resembles the human females reproductive organs? need i say more?

IMG_4752.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and Woke AF

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Shifting away from dead pinnepeads....

Anyone have a mechanic recco for the city, peninsula, or even north of the GG if they are worthwhile?

My prius has been faithful with nary an issue for 107k, but my check engine light came on yesterday. A friend suggested a guy on Taraval but he won't look at it until Monday, which is terribly inconvenient.
Presumably too late to this but fwiw 'toy shop' on geary and 12thish have always been upstanding. I've taken 2 different 4runners with 300k+ miles to them and they've been great and transparent. I think they're fairly busy but if you have any maintenance you can schedule I'd go with them.

Actually, was mostly replying to second what someone else said about OBD scanners. I always assumed they were expensive but the little dongle things that you plug into the port and connects to a (free) phone app via bluetooth are like $15, (there are a million diff copies of it on amazon). Tons of extra peace of mind on long drives that if the check engine light comes on I can see whether it's a 'stop immediately' situation or not.

Jan 3, 2024

Anyone have a mechanic recco for the city, peninsula, or even north of the GG if they are worthwhile?

My prius has been faithful with nary an issue for 107k, but my check engine light came on yesterday. A friend suggested a guy on Taraval but he won't look at it until Monday, which is terribly inconvenient.
I've had great experiences with Robert at action auto, I have an older Toyota with 138k on it and he is very thorough and honest about what needs doing. Solid work and hasn't tried to upsell me on anything unnecessary

Reactions: tacos

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019

Habelt in the Outer Sunset was my go-to. He's honest, dependable and great with Yotas. Last I went there (5 years ago or so) he had a slightly better hourly rate than some of the bigger, better-known shops. Highly recommend him.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Good news is: The check engine light was, indeed, the gas cap. I was relieved when I popped it open and saw that it was cross threaded. I took it to Autozone and the scanner confirmed that it was the most likely cause. I was slightly nervous because the check engine light didn't turn off right away, but it's off now.

Now I need to schedule a 100k service. I need to drive by Toy Shop and/or give Action Auto a call.

Thanks everyone.