The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
So basically you got a custom suit without needing to measure yourself?
Yes, exactly. I fit the stock size small really well. They tend to run a little bit big in my experience.......pretty close to Oniell sizing. On top of that, you want them to be ever so slightly looser than your typical suit. These aren't the super gummy suction cup to your skin 6 way stretch that feel great for a couple sessions but end up being cold because they get stretched out so thin and fall apart in less than 1 season type suits. They are much more durable than that, but not restrictive. The fit is more built into the suit, if that makes sense.

What closure do you get? Any experience with their zipperless ( looks to be velcro) ?
I would consider that before I go full Axxe u-zip. I recently tried the vissla u-zip… it’s phenomenal. Feels like you’re wearing just a rashguard when paddling. Almost no shoulder stress, which is my biggest deciding factor- even less than my favorite zipperless Isurus (which still has the cinch cord on the left side).
I had a 4/3 with the velcro closure. I didn't think I was going to like it as much as the zipper closure, but it surprised me. Easy on the shoulders and it sealed really well. My only complaint is the velcro sticking to the fuzzy liner on the inside of the suit when I would take it off and turn it right side in.

Now I get an open ended slanted chest zip on my suits. There's no point to the slant that I can tell. Might as well be straight across. But it works great as well and I don't feel any pressure on my shoulders from it. I also get a secondary neck gasket sewn into the suit that really does an amazing job at eliminating neck flushing. If you ever order one, I highly recommend the secondary neck gasket.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I also get a secondary neck gasket sewn into the suit that really does an amazing job at eliminating neck flushing. If you ever order one, I highly recommend the secondary neck gasket.
They'll sew a secondary neck gasket onto the things but a loop and pouch for a key is a no-go.

Fucking high trust societies. It's not like I'm asking for an OEM, warranty-covered hyena launcher for my South Sudan Hilux.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
They'll sew a secondary neck gasket onto the things but a loop and pouch for a key is a no-go.

Fucking high trust societies. It's not like I'm asking for an OEM, warranty-covered hyena launcher for my South Sudan Hilux.
Never realized they don't do key pouches or loops.

I've never asked for one though.

I've used a hide-a-key for 30+ years now.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yes, exactly. I fit the stock size small really well. They tend to run a little bit big in my experience.......pretty close to Oniell sizing. On top of that, you want them to be ever so slightly looser than your typical suit. These aren't the super gummy suction cup to your skin 6 way stretch that feel great for a couple sessions but end up being cold because they get stretched out so thin and fall apart in less than 1 season type suits. They are much more durable than that, but not restrictive. The fit is more built into the suit, if that makes sense.

I had a 4/3 with the velcro closure. I didn't think I was going to like it as much as the zipper closure, but it surprised me. Easy on the shoulders and it sealed really well. My only complaint is the velcro sticking to the fuzzy liner on the inside of the suit when I would take it off and turn it right side in.

Now I get an open ended slanted chest zip on my suits. There's no point to the slant that I can tell. Might as well be straight across. But it works great as well and I don't feel any pressure on my shoulders from it. I also get a secondary neck gasket sewn into the suit that really does an amazing job at eliminating neck flushing. If you ever order one, I highly recommend the secondary neck gasket.
Can you compare the feel of the neo to isurus or feral/matuse?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

Poors who live in areas requiring locks need not apply.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Poors who live in areas requiring locks need not apply.
LOL wasn't the last widely chronicled erBB ripoff in La Jolla?

Never realized they don't do key pouches or loops.

I've never asked for one though.

I've used a hide-a-key for 30+ years now.
I coulda swore I was told this, possibly on this very thread. Kinda bummed because I was going to try ordering a stock one to test the waters. I don't think xcel is as bad as some say but they're not tacos that crap ice cream and a flexysex vs brickthick is a big deal to me in terms of winter enjoyment.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
that involved keys buried in the sand.

poors drive themselves and need to lock things bc they park near fellow poors.

For example, if you have the means one could park in the gated community next to trestles; no need to lock anything.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

I coulda swore I was told this, possibly on this very thread. Kinda bummed because I was going to try ordering a stock one to test the waters. I don't think xcel is as bad as some say but they're not tacos that crap ice cream and a flexysex vs brickthick is a big deal to me in terms of winter enjoyment.
I would just email the rep and ask him if they do loops or pouches.

cyberwetsuits@gmail.com

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I would just email the rep and ask him if they do loops or pouches.

cyberwetsuits@gmail.com
From page 270 per the most illustrious Moogsies:

No, and my understanding is they won't do one.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Seams were falling out of my now old 2mm hyperfreak after a well meaning friend hung it out to dry, so i cut them out. Now it’s basically like wearing two rash guards. Bit chilly, but the most comfortable suit by a mile.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Can you compare the feel of the neo to isurus or feral/matuse?
I haven't worn a Feral so I can't really compare that one. The domestic suits I've tried with 'Japanese' neoprene are Isurus, Matuse, and Nineplus. I hated the Matuse and Nineplus (the seams were terrible on both) so I'll try and compare with Isurus.

My 3mm Isurus was a nice suit but it felt 0.5 mm thinner to me than labeled. That combined with the lack of smoothskin and fuzzy liner, it just didn't feel like it had enough insulation for how thick the suit claimed to be. Cybers 3mm neoprene feels slightly thicker and a lot more insulated......but maybe not quite as stretchy? Not that Cyber is stiff by any means but I think the thicker feel of the cyber is noticeable in a good way. I think the insulative properties are so good that I'm often wearing 1mm less than the other people in the lineup. Although it might not be quite as stretchy, I think you benefit from the increased durability you get out of the neoprene. I can often get 4 seasons out of a suit.

I will say that one of the nicest features of Isurus and Matuse is that super silky nylon layer they glue to the neoprene. The one that makes it feel buttery when you slide it on. Cybers nylon isn't as silky, but its not bad either. Just not quite as 'premium' feeling.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
To me, the matuse and feral have the same silky feel that is easy to slide on and off.

Isurus has a texture that isn't as silky but it's more stretchy/flexible. I prefer the isurus. It doesn't feel like it's going to be as warm but it is, at least for me.

Matuse and feral both have that "not as stretchy" feel but once broken in it moves where you need it to.

Thanks for the input. I'm down the rabbit hole of never going back to standard neo but deciding which option I want moving forward.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
A yammy satchel? Do tell.
Copypasta'd right out of the email response:

Cyber Shield Wetsuits Email Duuu said:
With the front zip we off a neck lanyard with pocket for customers.
Thanks,
How much would you GoFundMe if I ask how long the lanyard is, then reply complaining that it's farther than that from my neck to my asshole so how can I stuff the pocket up there without self-asphyxiating?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Aren't there leashes which come with a little velcro key slot?

Pretty sure my Creatures leashes have this.