Listen: Neil Gorsuch questions why felony obstruction applied on January 6.....

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
What was the maximum sentence any of them got. I'd love to know.
Look it up and tell us. I'd wager that it's not nearly as sever since — even by your own admission — no officers or secret service were ever in danger; no officers died shortly after the protest; no one actually crossed into the whitehouse; and the elephant in the room... no one was there to overturn the results of an election.

Reactions: One-Off and afoaf

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Regurgitating that lie again. At least you didn't frame that guy's unrelated stroke as being bludgeoned to death. 60 officers injured and 11 officers having to be treated at the hospital defending the Whitehouse grounds from being breached sure sounds serious to me.
I didn't frame it that way, cause I'm willing to listen to "the other side" and acknowledge the point (when they're correct). It'd be cool if you did the same.

But 1) it's not a lie. The guy died. And 2) No matter how you spin it... that officer that died was brutally beaten. Whereas the "injuries" that you're referring to... even by the Secret Service Media Relations claimed that no officer was ever in danger. You cannot say that about J6. 3) Once again, police officers had to shoot someone at the J6 protest.

Last edited:

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Secret Service Statement on Pennsylvania Avenue Demonstrations
Published By
U.S. Secret Service Media Relations
Published Date
2020-05-31

Body
Washington, D.C. -- On Saturday, May 30, and into early Sunday, May 31, 2020, U.S. Secret Service Uniformed Division Officers made one arrest during the demonstrations near 15th St. NW and Pennsylvania Avenue.
Some demonstrators repeatedly attempted to knock over security barriers, and vandalized six Secret Service vehicles. Between Friday night and Sunday morning, more than 60 Secret Service Uniformed Division Officers and Special Agents sustained multiple injuries from projectiles such as bricks, rocks, bottles, fireworks and other items. Secret Service personnel were also directly physically assaulted as they were kicked, punched, and exposed to bodily fluids. A total of 11 injured employees were transported to a local hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries.
No individuals crossed the White House Fence and no Secret Service protectees were ever in any danger.
The Secret Service respects the right to assemble, and we ask that individuals do so peacefully for the safety of all.

It was an obvious Fed Op to make the left look bad. I saw people in khakis. Anti Trump protesters were set up by undercover FBI agents.

- said no one ever because look how silly that sounds.

:roflmao:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Regurgitating that lie again. At least you didn't frame that guy's unrelated stroke as being bludgeoned to death. 60 officers injured and 11 officers having to be treated at the hospital defending the Whitehouse grounds from being breached sure sounds serious to me.
#zerointegrity

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
The only real significance to this case is how it might impact Trump’s prosecution.

It won’t.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Back the Blue or shut the f uck up, as shole

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
The only real significance to this case is how it might impact Trump’s prosecution.

It won’t.

Wrong. It will.

Not only was prosecutor Jack Smith's appointment invalid, but he is applying the law which his case rests on invalidly.

Then add this: The same statute was used to imprison 300 other Jan. 6 defendants. Those prosecutions also ride on this Supreme Court case.

Politico: The ‘Sleeping Giant’ Case that Could Upend Jack Smith’s Prosecution of Trump

--------------------------------------------
01/17/2024
There’s been a lot of attention paid to the Supreme Court’s upcoming decision on Donald Trump’s claim of immunity from prosecution for actions taken while president, a judgment that will have big implications for the 2024 presidential campaign and special counsel Jack Smith’s indictment of the former president on charges related to Jan. 6. But there’s a sleeping giant of a case also percolating in the Supreme Court that’s even more likely than the immunity issue to impact Smith’s prosecution of Trump.

The case is Joseph W. Fischer v. United States, which the court agreed to hear in December, and which doesn’t explicitly mention Trump. At issue is whether prosecutors and the Department of Justice have been improperly using a 2002 law originally aimed at curbing financial crimes to prosecute a Jan. 6 defendant named Joseph Fischer. Should the court side with Fischer, it would also call into question the use of the law against other Jan. 6 defendants — including Trump.

Smith’s indictment contains four counts in total. Two of those are for obstruction of an official proceeding and for conspiracy to do so. Those crimes are part of a relatively recent criminal statute governing financial disclosures known as the Sarbanes-Oxley (or “SOX”) Act, which was enacted following the Enron corporate accounting scandal, and which makes it a crime to obstruct an official proceeding of the U.S. government. The Justice Department has so far used it to charge over 300 people involved in the Jan. 6 insurrection; more than 150 have been convicted of the offense following jury trials or pleaded guilty to it.

Many of these defendants, including Fischer, have argued that the “obstruction of an official proceeding” part of the SOX Act was only meant to apply narrowly to financial crimes similar to the ones that produced the law in the first place — and not as broadly as the Justice Department has used it in the Jan. 6 cases.....

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
you wanted everyone to face the death penalty. over sentencing?
Do you realize how inaccurate your claim of what I said is? There are a handful who I wanted to face the death penalty. Still do. That doesn't include a grandma who was welcomed in through open doors, took a stroll and peacefully exited the building. What you're doing is being dishonest about what I said and then acting as if your purposeful misquote is a gotcha.

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Funny how the side who always squawk about greed may get decapitated by demanding more than they have coming.

Last edited:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Wrong. It will.

Not only was prosecutor Jack Smith's appointment invalid, but he is applying the law which his case rests on invalidly.

Then add this: The same statute was used to imprison 300 other Jan. 6 defendants. Those prosecutions also ride on this Supreme Court case.

Politico: The ‘Sleeping Giant’ Case that Could Upend Jack Smith’s Prosecution of Trump

01/17/2024
There’s been a lot of attention paid to the Supreme Court’s upcoming decision on Donald Trump’s claim of immunity from prosecution for actions taken while president, a judgment that will have big implications for the 2024 presidential campaign and special counsel Jack Smith’s indictment of the former president on charges related to Jan. 6. But there’s a sleeping giant of a case also percolating in the Supreme Court that’s even more likely than the immunity issue to impact Smith’s prosecution of Trump.

The case is Joseph W. Fischer v. United States, which the court agreed to hear in December, and which doesn’t explicitly mention Trump. At issue is whether prosecutors and the Department of Justice have been improperly using a 2002 law originally aimed at curbing financial crimes to prosecute a Jan. 6 defendant named Joseph Fischer. Should the court side with Fischer, it would also call into question the use of the law against other Jan. 6 defendants — including Trump.

Smith’s indictment contains four counts in total. Two of those are for obstruction of an official proceeding and for conspiracy to do so. Those crimes are part of a relatively recent criminal statute governing financial disclosures known as the Sarbanes-Oxley (or “SOX”) Act, which was enacted following the Enron corporate accounting scandal, and which makes it a crime to obstruct an official proceeding of the U.S. government. The Justice Department has so far used it to charge over 300 people involved in the Jan. 6 insurrection; more than 150 have been convicted of the offense following jury trials or pleaded guilty to it.

Many of these defendants, including Fischer, have argued that the “obstruction of an official proceeding” part of the SOX Act was only meant to apply narrowly to financial crimes similar to the ones that produced the law in the first place — and not as broadly as the Justice Department has used it in the Jan. 6 cases.....
Bet?

I always ask you to bet and you never take me up on it.

How about this time?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Do you realize how inaccurate your claim of what I said is? There are a handful who I wanted to face the death penalty. Still do. That doesn't include a grandma who was welcomed in through open doors, took a stroll and peacefully exited the building. What you're doing is being dishonest about what I said and then acting as if your purposeful misquote is a gotcha.
grandma tresspassed. she should get the maximum penalty for tresspassing. nothing less, nothing more.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009

It won’t.

Bet?

I always ask you to bet and you never take me up on it.

How about this time?

I believe you answered your own question.

This case has already impacted Trump's case because the mainstream media think it has, and have said so.

May: To have power; have ability; be able; can.
  • To indicate possibility with contingency.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: afoaf

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
They have to keep voters from being able to vote for Trump because he’s "a threat to our democracy".

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I believe you answered your own question.

This case has already impacted Trump's case because the mainstream media think it has, and have said so.

May: To have power; have ability; be able; can.
  • To indicate possibility with contingency.
Haha, typical.

Make big claim, follow with a whimper.

Reactions: afoaf