wsl adds a gamer as ceo. a fucking gamer! hahaha.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
It's one of those accents, like a California drawl, that makes people sound stupider than they really are.

As opposed to, say, a smooth mid-western clip like Walter Kronkite, that has the opposite effect.
I'm born and raised in Southern California and I don't have a drawl. Please! :shameonyou:

It's everyone else from everywhere else that have accents.

Did you not know that So. Cal. is the center of the universe? Pffft. :monkey:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Not sure I'd use drawl to describe the California accent which IMHO is the least identifiable and proto-rootless unaccented USA accent possibly on account of LA being the entertainment capital of the universe. But if the point is Jeff Spicoli then I get it.

I respect Walter Cronkite but his accent does not sound intelligent to me. He seems epic, but in a sense that if he was a fish out of water at a Florida party with everyone looking at him sideways, I'd get him started on how many times he almost died falling in ice fishing, and how many people he's seen get run over by snowmobiles, hunting accidents....

Reactions: freeride76

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
RR would be a smart PR move. Love him or hate him, he's definitely endemic. No one would have the bona fides to challenge his decisions, even if we all disagreed with him.

Barton would be the best to run the booth, although he'd need a shave. Get rid of Joe, make it Barton, Richie, Kelly, Rosie & Coco on the broadcast. Strider in the water, just because. People who were actually pros and have the ability to saliently express what they're seeing and *why* it's important. Plus, let them question the judges just as sports commentators in other leagues question the refs.

#pipedream
Strider was a pro?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I'm born and raised in Southern California and I don't have a drawl.
i sort of do have a drawl that i picked up while growing up in southern california

but only when i speak spanish

Viva Teewaaaaaaaahna!

edit: how do i get zero hits when i google for "Tijuana drawl", @ElOgro ? i thought that was a pretty common phrase?

:shrug:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pescado713

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
i sort of do have a drawl that i picked up while growing up in southern california

but only when i speak spanish

Viva Teewaaaaaaaahna!

edit: how do i get zero hits when i google for "Tijuana drawl", @ElOgro ? i thought that was a pretty common phrase?

I’ve never heard of that.

It’s different from region to region down to the municipality level. Here we speak costeño, and that varies from the top of the state to the bottom on the coast, getting less formal as you head south to the border with Oaxaca. It starts plenty informal here. There are seven regions in the state, it’s easy to tell where someone is from in the state. Likewise a general area in the country. Veracruz is jarocho. Similar to costeño grammar wise (ribald) but different accent. Monterrey is norteño.

Reactions: crustBrother

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I’ve never heard of that.
yeah, apparently "tijuana drawl" is well known phrase that i just made up

i wonder if i'm the only person who hears that drawl? and was it a Tijuana drawl or was it an Escondido 1970's cholo drawl that i'm thinking of?