Tony Roberts on a Vernor

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
TR is a phenom for sure...the surfing looked a lot like Curren on a skimboard I thought.. had no idea Vernor was a person, the boards I've seen look like Chinese container boards.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Super short boards always feel more fun to surf than they look.

all I know about Tony Roberts is my old roommate from SD had a shitload of board from him, lot of fun bigger boards that worked really well.

ironic that he is on this small board trip.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Colorado's is probably the shortest and easiest paddle to get to the lineup of any spot in Nicaragua. Try it with that short of a board at any other spot when there's a swell or even Colorado's when it's firing .... and i'd be impressed if a person even made it out to the lineup regardless of age .... i'd be extremely impressed if the person caught a wave and made the drop. Rob Machado was out one day ripping at Pangas ... HH+ conditions on a 5'1" twin fin ... a few years ago ... Pangas is a very strenuous paddle out haven't seen anyone come close to matching that since. I'm 64 and i consider myself to be in really good shape and this season and i'm riding a 6'4" and a 6'6".

Reactions: JDJ and Havoc

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Colorado's is probably the shortest and easiest paddle to get to the lineup of any spot in Nicaragua. Try it with that short of a board at any other spot when there's a swell or even Colorado's when it's firing .... and i'd be impressed if a person even made it out to the lineup regardless of age .... i'd be extremely impressed if the person caught a wave and made the drop. Rob Machado was out one day ripping at Pangas ... HH+ conditions on a 5'1" twin fin ... a few years ago ... Pangas is a very strenuous paddle out haven't seen anyone come close to matching that since. I'm 64 and i consider myself to be in really good shape and this season and i'm riding a 6'4" and a 6'6".
Ain’t no way I’m going over the ledge at a spot like Colorados on a 4’8.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Ain’t no way I’m going over the ledge at a spot like Colorados on a 4’8.
D@mn straight! The shortest board i've ever attempted to ride at Colorado's was a 5'10" retro fish shaped by Barry Snyder. This was probably 5 years ago .... it was solid 5'-6' ... there were probably 10-15 guys on the main peak ... i paddled to the left of it thinking i could beat the crowd and catch one going left (backside) that swung wide ... sure enough a set rolled in wide of the main peak i turned and paddled and got pitched luckily i went deep enough to get pushed out the back. I paddled back to my spot and waited and another set rolled in .. probably 8'-10' face i was ready this time and paddled hard down the face .. could hear the guys on the main peak hooting ... the drop was steep ... made the drop grabbed the rail and pulled in .... wasn't ready for the speed for which i was going ... barely in control made it through the first section and then got sucked up the face and pitched again with the lip .... this time i suffered the consequences ... had the wind knocked out of me from the impact ... but fortunately got pushed close to shore. I got lucky ... know guys that live in the community that have suffered broken necks and backs at Colorado's.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I’d say Panga’s is an equally a difficult wave to get into. I’m twelve years your junior, but having stayed at Mark & Dave’s a handful of times , I couldn’t catch any set waves when I was on anything less than a 6’2, but I got some bombs on my buddy’s 6’6. It’s my least favorite wave in that zone. I rode a 5’8 in some solid Colorado’s, but IMO they’re much easier to chase down and catch.

Reactions: flyinraptr