Darks Arts EPS and Carbon Fiber Surfboards

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Sorry but I must have missed the memo on this one but what’s the reason for painting just the rails?
I thought it was about keeping the board cooler…if so for me, the deck and rails are going to get the paint.
I was going to paint the deck, but I figured white deck with my white lams, would be too much white. Plus, last time I painted the deck, I completely fucked up the board. It was a disaster! I figured if I screw up the rails, it won't be that hard to remove. But now that I have a "good paint" job under my belt maybe I will try to paint the deck with some cool colors and dish soap. I watched a video on YouTube and I think i could pull that one off. lol.

Reactions: Retropete

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Really? You think people are spending $1k+ on a surfboard and being like, 'so what if it sits in the sun?'

Keeping your board in the shade or loosely bagged whenever possible, regardless of color, goes in the "duh" category.
This is what you posted:

"I had my full carbon paddleboards painted white, top and bottom. EPS and epoxy. Never once had an issue. Not in Hawaii during the dead of summer sitting in parking lot. Had a yellow one, a white one, and a light blue one. Never a single issue through multiple years."

Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but this sounds like "I left my full carbon painted white paddleboards sitting out in very hot temperatures and never had an issue."

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
This is what you posted:

"I had my full carbon paddleboards painted white, top and bottom. EPS and epoxy. Never once had an issue. Not in Hawaii during the dead of summer sitting in parking lot. Had a yellow one, a white one, and a light blue one. Never a single issue through multiple years."

Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but this sounds like "I left my full carbon painted white paddleboards sitting out in very hot temperatures and never had an issue."
:roflmao:

You are easily one of the most prolific trolls this place has ever seen. Skully would approve.

I paddled a carbon fiber/eps/epoxy paddleboard, painted white, from Molokai to Oahu. When the race was over, in which I won my division a number of times, my board was put on the roof of a car. My bag was on the boat for reasons I couldn't begin to explain to you, nor do I want to. Regardless, the board sat on that roof for hours while others finished and I was interviewed. I didn't want that to be the case but it was. After said hours, the board was fine.

I don't advocate doing this, but it directly contradicts your anecdotes.

I'm not saying you SHOULD leave any board sitting in the sun; but in this instance, were it to happen with a white board, you'd be all right. In fact, don't we all know here that leaving your surfboard in the sun can lead to plenty of sun damage whether it be burning, delamming, wax melting, etc, etc, etc. Again, that qualifies as a "duh."

Now go change that thin pad of yours, have a sip of whatever pink wine it is that you prefer to day drink, and enjoy the next episode of Maury. None of us will judge you.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

You are easily one of the most prolific trolls this place has ever seen. Skully would approve.

I paddled a carbon fiber/eps/epoxy paddleboard, painted white, from Molokai to Oahu. When the race was over, in which I won my division a number of times, my board was put on the roof of a car. My bag was on the boat for reasons I couldn't begin to explain to you, nor do I want to. Regardless, the board sat on that roof for hours while others finished and I was interviewed. I didn't want that to be the case but it was. After said hours, the board was fine.

I'm not saying you SHOULD leave any board sitting in the sun; but in this instance, were it to happen with a white board, you'd be all right. In fact, don't we all know here that leaving your surfboard in the sun can lead to plenty of sun damage whether it be burning, delamming, wax melting, etc, etc, etc. Again, that qualifies as a "duh."

Now go change that thin pad of yours, have a sip of whatever pink wine it is that you prefer to day drink, and enjoy the next episode of Maury. None of us will judge you.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I am stoked on what @sh3 is laying down. May paint my AO white and take it on my 2025 Indo trip now.

want to ride it for a year before I fuck with it like that though.

the board would be so fucking fun in reef waves, probably need a smaller one with no wetsuit though.

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Whats the consensus on Pro Lite?

I had a microdot pad on my Revo that I sold and really liked that one.
I have the PL Ridgeline microdot pads on three borts and the Timmy Reyes’ microdots on my other two borts in the rotation. The Ridgeline on my most ridden bort (Flare) is starting to wear away on the heal side towards the top right, probably from my wetsuit knee. I still really like them. They have good grip, bort feel and I can move my foot around easily. I just got back from eight days on Kauai and sarfed three plus hours a day with no knee rash and that’s with some frickin long paddles out/in. I took one day off to let my overstretched LCL take a breather.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and sizzld1

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I have one. Reminds me of x Trak from back in the day. Grippy enough but not like the astroglide knobs. Oeste has one on his boards that has this smooth but super grippy material that I liked. I don’t think they make a decent flat pad so they’re basically worthless.

Last edited:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
i just put Versatraction on my black carbon fibre boards. No wax needed so wax melting becomes a moot point.
The clear one that covers the whole board? What do you think? Curious for travel boards.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

I'm not trolling.

OK, so you left it out in the sun one time...

That's what you've got going to prove your point?

You came on strong, said I didn't know what I was talking about:

Screen Shot 2024-04-13 at 12.28.46 PM.png

Then provided a personal anecdote.

:toilet:

Mine? What anecdotes?

That repeat expansion and contraction is going to weaken a bond, carbon fiber conducts heat much better than fiberglass, etc?

That's not anecdote, that is fact. Science.

My info comes from people who were/are directly involved with Justin Terne's carbon fiber projects since the beginning, another guy with a big factory and many decades of experience (world reknowned) where he's done all sorts of experiments with CF on all different kinds of surf craft for many years. As well as another famous San Diego ding repair guy, who's been in the business since the 1970s.

I'll leave out my real world experience and that of others.

Then I'm not really sure what your point is.

Other than you once left a white carbon board in the the heat and sun and it was fine. OK, great. I'm not surprised.

3 or 4 times, yeah I'd be surprised.

So yeah, I think your anecdote is just that...an anecdote.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
The clear one that covers the whole board? What do you think? Curious for travel boards.
Yep...well most of it. Used it for years. I don't wear wetsuits that much but do know the wetsuits with smoothskin (is it still common?) on the chest slide around. I always wear a rashie so don't have any dramas with abrasion. Good with no need to de wax boards before putting them into multi board bags and I have a rough theory they help prevent some heel denting too.
RTT pics are with Supadex which is a cheaper alternative I came across.IMG_2271.JPGIMG_2272.jpg

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Yep...well most of it. Used it for years. I don't wear wetsuits that much but do know the wetsuits with smoothskin (is it still common?) on the chest slide around.
Total opposite for me.

Versa lacks the tackiness of wax and when I would wear smoothskin, it prevented the board from slipping out under my chest. Wetsuits without smoothskin would slip a lot more.

I found that versa would loose its grip after 10 surfs or so......which sucked because I would often start slipping mid-session. Would have to scrub it with Ajax to bring back its grip.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sauce and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Yep...well most of it. Used it for years. I don't wear wetsuits that much but do know the wetsuits with smoothskin (is it still common?) on the chest slide around. I always wear a rashie so don't have any dramas with abrasion. Good with no need to de wax boards before putting them into multi board bags and I have a rough theory they help prevent some heel denting too.
RTT pics are with Supadex which is a cheaper alternative I came across.View attachment 177879View attachment 177880
why is your board staring at me like that?

• Haha
Reactions: Sauce and sh3

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Total opposite for me.

Versa lacks the tackiness of wax and when I would wear smoothskin, it prevented the board from slipping out under my chest. Wetsuits without smoothskin would slip a lot more.

I found that versa would loose its grip after 10 surfs or so......which sucked because I would often start slipping mid-session. Would have to scrub it with Ajax to bring back its grip.
Weird. Haven't had a smooth chest wettie in years but remember sliding with it.
Maybe your water has more run off in it than mine...yikes!

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Total opposite for me.

Same. I havent used versa or felt it but had the xm stuff from a few years back on a board. It was fine for a few surfs (nipples and ribs beware) but it would get a film or something, likely due to not great water quality. It absolutely reduced wax usage, but still had to use wax. Definitely agree with RP though that it protected my deck really well and hardly any pressure dents after peeling it off a a few years later

Reactions: jkb