Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Just cracked a Pliny and put an email into Tim about a step down from my GX. Feeling pretty, pretty, pretty good.

@tedshred5 have you gotten any more time on your Flare? How you digging it?

To my lanky Stamps buds, have you all found any stepdowns from Stamps that you've really clicked with? @Aruka @bird.LA As I get older/slower, I'm starting to think that short and stubby isn't the best shape for tall and lanky.
I liked my Flare round tail and my Grinder x's. Not sure if the Gigglebox is exactly a step down but it is a great one. I dont like going too short on step downs. 1-3 inches under height.

Edit: @slipped_disc I guess I consider the gx and flare to be step downs from a true hpsb. I agree even stubbier stuff can be tricky to size. When I start getting into that 5-10 range it better have a pretty wide nose and tail like a true fish or groveler type board. Im going banana fish next order but the rerun looks good too.

Last edited:

dcurbelo

OTF status
Jan 27, 2011
Atlantic Ocean
I liked my Flare round tail and my Grinder x's. Not sure if the Gigglebox is exactly a step down but it is a great one. I dont like going too short on step downs. 1-3 inches under height.

Edit: @slipped_disc I guess I consider the gx and flare to be step downs from a true hpsb. I agree even stubbier stuff can be tricky to size. When I start getting into that 5-10 range it better have a pretty wide nose and tail like a true fish or groveler type board. Im going banana fish next order but the rerun looks good too.
I got a RP ReRun and it feels to me that it kinda sits on nowhere's land. As mentioned here, Tim´s RP tails tend to be on the narrow side. Tail area limits the board to good quality small waves, which reduces it versatility. That's alright if that's what you're aiming for. Board has a smaller volume feel than what the number is.
5'9x19.75x2.44 29.8L.

IMG_4501.jpeg

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Just cracked a Pliny and put an email into Tim about a step down from my GX. Feeling pretty, pretty, pretty good.

To my lanky Stamps buds, have you all found any stepdowns from Stamps that you've really clicked with? @Aruka @bird.LA As I get older/slower, I'm starting to think that short and stubby isn't the best shape for tall and lanky.
Flare fits this for me. I agree. Stub grovelers don’t work for string beans.

im 6’1@165 on a 5’9x20 flare.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

I’ve gotten a few more sessions on it and I’ve been surprised by its low end grovel-ability. I have a twin keel fish that I haven’t touched since I got the Flare. And the surf around me has been pretty weak lately.

I’m far from tall & lanky (5’10 x 185#) and my Flare is actually sized at my height

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA

I still love my Fuse in the right conditions, but it's WAY under my height. I mostly use it in shorter period beach break surf where I'm comfortable with a short, short rail line. I don't love it as much in local point surf and wonder if a Flare a bit longer might be the ticket or if a slightly longer Fuse would be best.

In general, I find I like some nose width when I go a lot shorter with my boards.

GX is 6'1.5", Fuse is 5'9".

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Tim is recommending a Flare, and while I'm late to the party, I'm psyched. I love the outline of the board. His initial recommendation was surprisingly long though (even considering I don't want something super short and stubby). How are you duus sizing your Flare compared to your daily driver shortboard?

IIRC I've seen some of you on 6'0" DDs and 5'10" Flares... annnd that's all my shoddy memory can hold.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ and Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Thinking about selling my 5'11" sparkplug if anyone's interested

Man. twins on erBB 2024
giphy.gif

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Tim is recommending a Flare, and while I'm late to the party, I'm psyched. I love the outline of the board. His initial recommendation was surprisingly long though (even considering I don't want something super short and stubby). How are you duus sizing your Flare compared to your daily driver shortboard?

IIRC I've seen some of you on 6'0" DDs and 5'10" Flares... annnd that's all my shoddy memory can hold.
Yep I’m 6’1 200-210 Ride a 6’0 DD and a stock 5’10 Flare.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Thanks for the info ! This may need to move to the fin thread but are you using say a M front and a M rear or are you using a smaller rear ?
The fronts are the Mayhem 3.0 Vapor Cores which are a M/L fin i believe, or on the smaller size of Large. The rears are 3.75 which are the mediums of the Futures quad rear range. I’m 185 lbs.
I’ve also tried the setup with Pyzel Large fronts, it was more drivey than this setup. Pyzel has mediums as well.
IMG_3256.jpeg

Reactions: Buck_86