Rickoray

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
latest update
TLDR: rick is not going to be stopped

Update on Rick 4/12:
Hi Everybody!

News to share this Friday is that Rick has been cleared to move from the acute care hospital that was rehabbing him off the ventilator. He still has feeding tube and an IV for now, but that should be taken away soon.

We are able to move him back to Mission Hospital sometime today to their acute rehabilitation facility. He will be re-learning everything: standing, walking, sitting, etc, eg range of motion and hoping to get him back to 100%. His speech is somewhat good; he recognizes people and is cognizant of surroundings.

He does not like being immobile which last Sunday morning caused a code-something where he tried to swing himself out of bed, pulled the IV and other monitors completely off where the ICU nurses came running and called me on the emergency. He is determined to walk on his own immediately, and is stubborn and not taking precaution talk very easily from me. "What do you mean NO!! I can do what I want to..." He will have a lot of rehab ahead and the key will be keep him moving and tired out so he has no "down time" to plan his own rehab or escapes.

We don't have a clue as to how long, but given his rapid pace at the pulmonary hospital and his drive to get moving, it could be another several weeks in the acute rehab. He will be getting speech, PT and OT for several hours a day, Monday thru Saturday (Sundays off). I don't know what the visitation will be like there but will let everyone know when we land.

Prayers are still needed!

Love to all and thanks for all the calls, texts, well wishes and prayers from everyone and feel free to share with the staffs of the orgs and friends and family of those on this thread.

D, The Girls and RICK!

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
GoFundme link for rick
Update on Rick 4/14:

Hello,
Happy Sunday! Rick is settled in to Mission Hospital for acute rehab unit. He is still in "isolation" waiting for the tests to come back that confirm he didn't bring anything unwanted to the unit from the previous hospital. We still need to put scrubs and gloves on and good news is he is in a private room.

His doc, nursing team, ot, pt and speech unit fully assessed him yesterday. He took his first shower with help and did a full round of therapies yesterday. He is now eating solid but soft foods and I took him a chocolate frosty because he was craving it -- after 55+ days of machines and IV feeding. He's speaking very clearly with a little fog and some memory lapse, but I keep quizzing him and threatening to beat him at Trivial Pursuit real soon here. So he's been warned he needs to brush up!

Visited Rick this morning and they had another pt therapy the team was able to squeeze in, so I bounced out. They are going to be getting him going early mornings thru the mid-afternoon with priority on his treatments.
The team has asked for family and very close friends (must please check in with me first - text or call) to visit only after 4p. Stressing that this is a brain rehabilitation unit and to keep it very quiet and serene for Rick and the other patients while visiting.

Again, the key is getting him the proper treatment and building range of motion and skills so he can be independent as fast but as thorough as we can.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
I took a screenshot from this quick clip Lulu posted of Rick, last night. The nurse hands him the device in her hand and he cleanly takes it and starts squeezing it :applause2:

I also let Lulu know the ERBB is following closely and everyone is pulling for Rick - her response was 'OMG - AWESOME!!'