My first pilgrimage to Mecca

Oct 25, 2019
What's your skill level? What are you looking for? How comfortable are you with a crowd?
I’m a middle aged wanna be hack. I surf OK, but not much better than that.

I’m looking for makeable barrels < DOH.

Crowded is a relative term, but generally I’m able to find waves. Of course less is more.

Mar 25, 2024
September is generally a good time to hit up the Playgrounds area or the Mentawai Islands in Indo. You're looking at the tail end of the dry season, so weather-wise, it's usually prime time with clear skies and less chance of rain. Plus, the surf conditions tend to be pretty sweet around that time, with consistent swells rolling in. Just keep an eye on the surf forecasts to catch the best waves.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Leaving in mid-May for Kandui, first timer, trip of the lifetime, will be there for ~4 weeks so I would expect we'll be getting some challenging swell, bringing 4 boards, dilemma on the fourth is a fish/hybrid necessary, the 3rd board is a 'high performance' groveler style, more performance than grovel I think...

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Did my first mentawai trip Sept 2021. It was absolutely mediocre by ments standards(which means you're scoring by california standards). Was plagued with bad winds most the trip. Brought three boards, but mostly surfed my fish, which handled everything with ease. Surfed telescopes, ariks, scarecrows, icelands, nipussi, bank vaults, and some others. It was my first time surfing over reef like that in crystal clear water which was intimidating at first. Was a reality check for me for sure. Some waves that have deeper reefs Id be fine with sending it but certain spots I wouldn't want anything to do with at size (DOH+, particularly one of the spots in nathan florences vid out there). Having said that, I cant wait to go back. Hoping for next year. Would love to check out the telos area or macaronis zone.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
How's the coral at Ariks!??

surfed it at pretty good size. Those super alive coral reef chunks which could look like they can Impale you are fun to look at when taking off. :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: TheEl

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
What surf reports are people looking at. Got Surfline, cam at 4Bobs now, "Flat" or 0 - 1' and seems to most always be plenty bigger than that.
-BankVaults 3' - 4' today...

Any of this to be trusted?