How should a shaper handle this?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It’s interesting how, from what I know, everyone who gets a Dark Arts board loves them - or at least likes them - and some people, like me, have multiple DA boards with zero problems whatsoever…

…and this one guy gets two boards in row that are “defective”?

Sure.

Over the years I’ve had who knows how many boards with FCS - mine are all Futures now - and I’ve never had a fin just fall out.

This guy, two boards in row with fins falling out…..:shrug:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
It’s interesting how, from what I know, everyone who gets a Dark Arts board loves them - or at least likes them - and some people, like me, have multiple DA boards with zero problems whatsoever…

…and this one guy gets two boards in row that are “defective”?

Sure.

Over the years I’ve had who knows how many boards with FCS - mine are all Futures now - and I’ve never had a fin just fall out.

This guy, two boards in row with fins falling out…..:shrug:
Post mentions screws. Why is he using two tab fins at this stage of the game anyway? I'm assuming we are not talking Fusion boxes in a new Dark Arts.

Reactions: ReForest

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
2 options:

1) The customer is an idiot and doesn't know how to properly install fins/screws.

2) The fin box is defective.

It's the surfboard manufacturers responsibility to decide which of those options is true if they sold you a board. If option 2 if found to be true, it's their responsibly to make it right by making you a new board.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
2 options:

1) The customer is an idiot and doesn't know how to properly install fins/screws.

2) The fin box is defective.

It's the surfboard manufacturers responsibility to decide which of those options is true if they sold you a board. If option 2 if found to be true, it's their responsibly to make it right by making you a new board.
Agree.

This has been my experience.

Looks like this board went to Hawaii, could be difficult.

Reactions: sdsrfr and jkb

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Post mentions screws. Why is he using two tab fins at this stage of the game anyway? I'm assuming we are not talking Fusion boxes in a new Dark Arts.
Speaking as someone who does this...

1. Because FCS2's fin choices fucking suck balls for people in the 180-600#lyfe range in open-faced, down the line surf?
The Carver XL are quite large in general; there's a huge gap between them and the Carver L. The rest of the swept templates are "small". The JS Large are too small (unless it's very clean and kinda small and lined up then they go good), the Kolohe Large are too small, the DHD aren't that swept and I'm not convinced these beveled or 80/20 fronts are a good idea, especially in average open-faced surf.
When it's steep and not racy the Pyzel Large are DANK but it rarely gets that good where I live.

2. Because they have custom Greg Griffin fins they want to use and GG G-10 are dank.

I use Home Depot grub screws. Either the some sh!t got sanded into the screw holes and/or you cross thread, or you don't.

Also the Randy Rarick testimonial. We haven't needed Roy this badly in like a week or two.

Reactions: JDJ

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Did the guy cross thread the screws ruining the box? You have to be very careful threading that first turn when adding screws to FCS2 boxes. It is very easy to get them started wrong and if you're a moron and proceed to force tighten a misaligned screw you will strip the box out and screws will never stay tight or tighten all the way.

Reactions: Sharky and jkb

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Great example of why you should support your local shaper IMHO - much easier to deal with if an issue arises.
Mistakes happen when producing any handmade product. Other than eliminating the frequency of mistakes, what’s most important is how they’re handled once the customer raises the problem, if it’s legit.

Still unclear that this is the boardmaker’s error.

Reactions: jkb

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Mistakes happen when producing any handmade product. Other than eliminating the frequency of mistakes, what’s most important is how they’re handled once the customer raises the problem, if it’s legit.

Doesn't sound like it is.

Or are the Dark Arts of Deception at play?

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF and JDJ

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

We need to see the board.

Reactions: ReForest and JDJ

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Looks like one board.

But anyway, shaper shapes you a board and the box is defective, what should happen?
He already got a replacement for his first board because of pressure dings.

Then his SECOND board also has a “problem“.

Sure.

Then he invokes some octogenarian surf marketing exploiter to back up his claim.

• Love
Reactions: ReForest

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The reviewer name dropping Randy Rarick seems like kind of a red flag.

They already made him a new board after he complained about pressure dents?? Pretty wild.

If he really did get two defective boards in a row that's pretty harsh but I think it's more likely that he is a kind of a karen and he cross threaded the grubs on his own.

He lost 3 fins out of the same box??? Fool me once, etc.

We also don't know whether he is using and losing non fcs2 fins or what. If the grubs are stripped he should just get a set of fcs2 fins and surf it.

Just for the sake of argument if a shaper does send out a board with legit defective fin boxes I do think it is on them to make it right. Having a ding guy reinstall your fin boxes is not "making it right".