Case for an erBB IPO

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
With the recent successful IPO of Reddit in the books, whomever owns the erBB should consider doing the same. Can you imagine all the data that could be mined from this forum of intellects? Ingesting all the posts into an LLM could create an app to rival OpenAI's ChatGPT, Microsoft's Copilot, Anthropic's Claude 3, and even X's Grok.

I dub thee Extraordinarily Rude Batch-normalized Bull$#it Chatbot, aka ChatERBB!

Prompt: "Where is the best place to surf?"
ChatERBB response: "Anywhere but my home break kuk. Now show me your t!ts!"

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
It seems we can set the value at what ever we want if recent IPOs are any indication.

• Love
Reactions: sponge

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Advertising platform with large audience self-segregated by market segment and interest
But what's the ROI for reddit ads?

The reddit demographic seems like the least likely segment of the population to click on advertising.

I'm only an occasional user and I didn't even realize they had ads til just now when you mentioned it...then I realized they do but my brain has totally tuned them out.

Reactions: CutnSnip

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
With the recent successful IPO of Reddit in the books, whomever owns the erBB should consider doing the same. Can you imagine all the data that could be mined from this forum of intellects? Ingesting all the posts into an LLM could create an app to rival OpenAI's ChatGPT, Microsoft's Copilot, Anthropic's Claude 3, and even X's Grok.

I dub thee Extraordinarily Rude Batch-normalized Bull$#it Chatbot, aka ChatERBB!

Prompt: "Where is the best place to surf?"
ChatERBB response: "Anywhere but my home break kuk. Now show me your t!ts!"
AI would get confused about stock and stoke, the importance of string, wild pigs as surf craft and YOLO would be mistakenly defined as wasting money on yet another “boar”.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway and Boneroni

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

The reddit demographic seems like the least likely segment of the population to click on advertising.

I'm only an occasional user and I didn't even realize they had ads til just now when you mentioned it...then I realized they do but my brain has totally tuned them out.
isnt that basically the case with placement ads. i know it is for me. there is so much visual noise online that my brain just filters ads out.

funny that companies that produce nothing have massive valuations based on potential for ads that people simply ignore

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
isnt that basically the case with placement ads. i know it is for me. there is so much visual noise online that my brain just filters ads out.
Mostly yes, but google can slip them into search results so I've seen people get tripped up on them sometimes.

funny that companies that produce nothing have massive valuations based on potential for ads that people simply ignore
Yeah, I've always thought the same.

The overwhelming majority are nothing more than peripheral vision.

I'd love to see the numbers.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002

Your brain is tuning them out now. Wait until AI figures out how to make them topical on the micro level and truly fluent plain language. If it gets there.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Anybody else notice how much better the information you get from a google search is if you type "thing I'm searching for reddit" instead of just "thing I'm searching for"?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Anybody else notice how much better the information you get from a google search is if you type "thing I'm searching for reddit" instead of just "thing I'm searching for"?
The information isn't better - it's often like looking at Yelp reviews.

It turns up lies and half truths, savant know-it-alls, and people who only write something if they need to complain about it.

Then there's the left wing mob downvote you off the subreddit and often insane moderators...Rory Parker of r/surfing is a prime example.

I pop into r/sandiego all the time just to see the sort of nonsense that gets posted and it's a real insight into the majority who are posting on reddit. Most popular topic is transplants whining that San Diego sucks because it's so expensive and they can never own a home, same people bitching about how homeowners suck, and lastly their favorite topic - all landlords are evil and there is never any good reason to raise someone's rent. Seems like a lot of "tech" workers there and on reddit in general.

This place is far more sane and mature than reddit...which is pretty shocking but says a ton.:crazy2:

Reactions: PRCD

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Your brain is tuning them out now. Wait until AI figures out how to make them topical on the micro level and truly fluent plain language. If it gets there.
This does not make me despise the advertising industry less. :roflmao: