How many surfs before you ditch a board?

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Got any FireWire stickers laying around? Slap
one on, might help clear your head a bit???

Serious note…I say stick with it for a bit more. You may be overly critical in how the board feels or how you look surfing it. And sinking a rail into a turn IS how you’re supposed to do it, fins accentuate that dynamic

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Got any FireWire stickers laying around? Slap
one on, might help clear your head a bit???

Serious note…I say stick with it for a bit more. You may be overly critical in how the board feels or how you look surfing it. And sinking a rail into a turn IS how you’re supposed to do it, fins accentuate that dynamic
agreed, the cure is more firewire stickers to make it go mo betta. get on it reforest! also, add a monster energy one while ur at it

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
@ReForest - I dunno man, "too thick" / "too buoyant" by how much?

I might well be entirely wrong here, but for surfers like us normal people, we don't notice that sh!t and extra foam in the rails makes little difference if you're going "one or even two steps" above what you normally ride.

I'd go further than that and say that extra thickness is like a cheat code and adding more is in 90% of the cases the better option. My now favourite shortboard of all time, is so much thicker than any other board I've ever owned ( rail profile's not even sharpened down much either), and it fucks. I was worried myself at the start, feeling her thick hips in the water and thinking to myself that I made a mistake... but man was I wrong.

I don't want to put anything in your head, so please feel free to ignore anything I say, but I think it's those incredibly short boards that does few people's surfing any favours. If it were dimensions you want to play with, I'd start by adding a little bit of length instead.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
LIke freeride said, the board is fine.

I would take the quad setup out and put in a thruster.

I think the problem here is the board looks like it has more speed than you're utilizing. A lot of times on your forehand you're out on the shoulder instead of in the pocket and your right arm is not engaged. You're surfing linear on the thing. I think the board could be surfed aggressively as a quad in those conditions well but it's outside the skill level of surfers who are not effortlessly linking turns...i.e. the guys putting in 3 turns for the average recreational surfer's 1 turn.

Not trying to be a dick (I am far from a ripper) I'm just telling you exactly what's going on in that clip.

Backside looks fine as a quad, but just take it for a spin as a thruster and see if it improves all round.

Lastly, as @Duffy LaCoronilla said, start playing around on a midlength, I think it would benefit your surfing bigly and give you a more rewarding experience on your shortboard.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
A singlefin midlength would do your surfing wonders as said above. It's like the board design is above your ability. Not taking anuything away from you, I can tell you;re talented and you shouldn't be discouraged in any way, you just lack fundamentals.

You take a lot of crap here and you keep going. :shaka: Just give respect in the water and jus feel fortunate that you're able to paddle out with a camera on you like that, cause you certainly can't do that everywhere lol.

Oct 5, 2021
Agree with the consensus board looks pretty good but try mucking around with fins a bit. Maybe a more normal thruster set to try and get a more vertical approach and be a bit less squirelly, or more conventional quad set. I wouldnt be bailing until you’ve at least tried a couple of different fin options in a range of conditions. End of the day though if you are just plain preferring other boards there’s no harm in admitting maybe this one isn’t for you. I had a fish board I hung onto for way too long, it was too wide and didn’t grovel much better than my daily driver. Moved it on and got a revo and have never looked back.

Reactions: j_mac and ReForest