How many surfs before you ditch a board?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Just not sure if I should get ride of it.

Tomo personally placed the fin boxes on this one and hand shaped the bottom himself. It’s the very 1st Vader v2 to be made at Dark Arts. It’s such a sick board, but the footage and my feelings indicate it’s a little too thick. I have to lean hard to get it on rail.
post it up on the wall next to his shaping jersey

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Just not sure if I should get ride of it.

Tomo personally placed the fin boxes on this one and hand shaped the bottom himself. It’s the very 1st Vader v2 to be made at Dark Arts. It’s such a sick board, but the footage and my feelings indicate it’s a little too thick. I have to lean hard to get it on rail.
just start carbo loading and the boar will work

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: PRCD and ReForest

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Duu if the boar is a dud dump it. Put it in the closet and forget about it, surf it a lot later when you’re not thinking about it. It’s obviously in your head already. When I have to think about surfing a boar instead of just surfing while surfing it’s a chore. It’s bad enough having to think about popping up during injury recovery but having to fuss over a boar, f that.

Or you can put on the big boy shorts pop some Triactin and push really hard on turns.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
we're just joshin ya reforest. also I found your next twin fin
edit: might be too much volume for ya

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
From DA site…

• For good surfers looking for maximum perfomance: Size Vader V2 at 5-6 inches shorter than customers standing height ( or equal to the tip of ones nose) same volume as lowest functional comfortable level or minus 1 L from a traditional performance shape.
Anyone looking to offload a 5’7?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I actually wanted to order a 5’3 with 5’2 width and thickness and Tomo said no. Then I told him I wanted to go 5’2 dims but narrower (18 1/2) and he said no. Haha. He said “nose height mate, nose height”. I finally shut my mouth and went with the stock 5’2.

After reading the comments I’m gonna give it some time. Maybe I’ll put it away and surf it later? idk. The golf club analogy was a good one. (y) Sorry for high jacking the thread but I needed to talk this through. The wife, kids and dog were of no help.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I actually wanted to order a 5’3 with 5’2 width and thickness and Tomo said no. Then I told him I wanted to go 5’2 dims but narrower (18 1/2) and he said no. Haha. He said “nose height mate, nose height”. I finally shut my mouth and went with the stock 5’2.

After reading the comments I’m gonna give it some time. Maybe I’ll put it away and surf it later? idk. The golf club analogy was a good one. (y) Sorry for high jacking the thread but I needed to talk this through. The wife, kids and dog were of no help.
Bro, that is a bummer. I know how excited you were. The DA cost almost makes it so you need to be pretty damn confident the boar is gonna work before you pull the trigger. Like same boar / model and dims you already like. I'll probably replace my banged-up, repaired fin-boxes PU/PE Gremlin with one when it's time.
I was so nervous the changes I made to Superchunk to upsize from 5'6 EPS/epoxy to 5'8 DA would ruin it...and was soo relieved when it worked just like I hoped from first session. IMHO there is a little more float/ "on top of water" feeling with the DA EPS build (especially coming from PU), and you/shaper could tweak dims accordingly.

Reactions: tedshred5 and j_mac

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu

How can you hijack your own thread?

You beat around the bush for 4 pages until you finally spilled the beans.

On another thread people posted about AI and getting a used boar of his that was magic. Here’s a Tokoro story about Andy. Wade would make a quiver of boars and AI would come to collect them. He pick each one up put it under his arm and go nope, nope, nope. Lucky he’d leave with half. Wade and crew would just sell those boars at full price to cover the loss.

Pros don’t waste time on boars they don’t like. Sure they get them free or at a discount but their time in the water still is wasted if the boar is a dud.