How many surfs before you ditch a board?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Next question... what defines a good board?

One that you love to ride everyday?
Or a board that does exactly what you want it to do in certain conditions (mushy, hollow, big days, etc.)?

Is it real possible to have a board that does well in any condition?
For me its two things. 1. How much drive and acceleration I get on that first pump. 2. That when I come of the bottom to do a top turn it goes where I want it to go without me having to force it to go there.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Next question... what defines a good board?

One that you love to ride everyday?
Or a board that does exactly what you want it to do in certain conditions (mushy, hollow, big days, etc.)?

Is it real possible to have a board that does well in any condition?
Fist question I'd hazard to say the answer could be:
"a board that does exactly what you want it to do in certain conditions (mushy, hollow, big days, etc"
Will very likely be "One that you love to ride everyday."
For your second question...I like the golf analogy...do you play a round of golf with one club?

Reactions: oeste858

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Fist question I'd hazard to say the answer could be:
"a board that does exactly what you want it to do in certain conditions (mushy, hollow, big days, etc"
Exactly what you “want” it to do and exactly what you “tell” it to do are two different things.

I want a board with a mix of both - the percentages of each varies depending.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
wut would you change?
The thickness.

I think my carnivore diet may have caused a little weight loss. Or Dark Arts is more buoyant than I thought. Or, the Vader has a thicker rail than the Revo.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
In the States ... it was easy to put one i didn't care for up on Craigslist and sell it within a few days ... so went through some fairly quickly. One i remember getting rid of fairly quickly was a Lost Monkfish .... definitely the archer and not the arrow just wasn't ready for it. Here it is a lot more difficult to unload boards ... so i try to have a little more patience. One thing that was interesting ... i went on a single fin kick for an entire season ... only rode singles ... there was a bit of learning or re-learning curve and i think it actually helped my surfing. During the off-season i like to pull out boards i haven't ridden in a while and noticed that in more than one case they felt and rode different from what i remembered .... guessing from trying to surf them like a single fin and using the rail more than pivoting off the fins.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Just not sure if I should get ride of it.

Tomo personally placed the fin boxes on this one and hand shaped the bottom himself. It’s the very 1st Vader v2 to be made at Dark Arts. It’s such a sick board, but the footage and my feelings indicate it’s a little too thick. I have to lean hard to get it on rail.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

Tomo personally placed the fin boxes on this one and hand shaped the bottom himself. It’s the very 1st Vader v2 to be made at Dark Arts. It’s such a sick board, but the footage and my feelings indicate it’s a little too thick. I have to lean hard to get it on rail.
you might be kicking yourself in a year or two if/when you gain the weight back

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017

More squats and deadlifts? Easy fix, no?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Dark Arts builds hold up really well. You should surf it a bunch more before you decide. Sell it now for a $200-$400 loss or sell it 6 months from now for a $200-$400 loss.

In the meantime power down some burritos.

Also, surf it off the tail. Watch that vid of Tomo riding one. Tail tail tail.

You want to get on rail but a Tokoro.

Last edited: