HPSB 2034

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Not if the mini-foils are pushed out to the rails. Think of a traditional thruster or quad setup except perhaps the front foils would be closer to your front foot.
That could be a solution. Add springs to the foils too so that depth is adaptable. :unsure:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Cheyne Horan did a winged keel which seemed to very similat to a foil on a single fin in the early 80's?

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
The way I see it is that all spray exiting the board is unharnessed energy that can possibly be redirected to producing more speed.

If the energy in spray (that goes into the air) can be directed into the water it would result in more speed.

Any true revolution in design would have to include a quantum leap in the ability to generate speed.

Im thinking of a foil board/planing hull hybrid. Something like a low riding foil.

bonzermech2.jpegvonzermech1.png

BONZER MECHANICS
HOW THE BONZER SYSTEM WORKS
The primary purpose of the Bonzer system is to efficiently organize water flow. We have done this by designing fin and bottom systems that work in a synergetic fashion in order to maximize the use of the energy that is created by the water passing through the tail area of the board. When you’re doing a turn, the water travels diagonally across the bottom of your board. The Bonzer side fins have a base totaling 9-3/4” on each side, and a maximum depth of only 2 3/4”. The angle, combined with the shallow depth of the fins, allows the fins to come in and out of the water with little resistance. This makes rail-to-rail transition much easier, which in turn allows you to keep your board on the rail with much less effort.
While turning, the fins on the inside rail are fairly vertical in the water, providing very refined edge control. As the water races across the bottom, the outside fins deflect it down and back through the tail. We have always looked at the water that escapes off the outside rail as unused energy. The combination of the Bonzer concaves and the long base of the side fins redirect far more water through the tail area than other designs. This maximizes the use of the force that is created during turns. The fins are essentially an extension of the concaves and, since water adheres to curved surfaces, there is very little disturbance as the water passes through the fin area. This dramatically reduces drag. Basically, we have tried to create surfboards that you can get more out of with less effort and energy input. It’s all about reducing entropy.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
View attachment 175568View attachment 175569

BONZER MECHANICS
HOW THE BONZER SYSTEM WORKS
The primary purpose of the Bonzer system is to efficiently organize water flow. We have done this by designing fin and bottom systems that work in a synergetic fashion in order to maximize the use of the energy that is created by the water passing through the tail area of the board. When you’re doing a turn, the water travels diagonally across the bottom of your board. The Bonzer side fins have a base totaling 9-3/4” on each side, and a maximum depth of only 2 3/4”. The angle, combined with the shallow depth of the fins, allows the fins to come in and out of the water with little resistance. This makes rail-to-rail transition much easier, which in turn allows you to keep your board on the rail with much less effort.
While turning, the fins on the inside rail are fairly vertical in the water, providing very refined edge control. As the water races across the bottom, the outside fins deflect it down and back through the tail. We have always looked at the water that escapes off the outside rail as unused energy. The combination of the Bonzer concaves and the long base of the side fins redirect far more water through the tail area than other designs. This maximizes the use of the force that is created during turns. The fins are essentially an extension of the concaves and, since water adheres to curved surfaces, there is very little disturbance as the water passes through the fin area. This dramatically reduces drag. Basically, we have tried to create surfboards that you can get more out of with less effort and energy input. It’s all about reducing entropy.
The campbell brothers are from outer space. They aren’t even trying to hide it….

IMG_5913.jpeg

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
DHD SITD winner.
Pulled nose and tail and increased nose and tail rocker- looks like a regression to the Slater era.

Thats going to be a very, very frustrating experience for the majority of surfers in the majority of conditions.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
DHD SITD winner.
Pulled nose and tail and increased nose and tail rocker- looks like a regression to the Slater era.

Thats going to be a very, very frustrating experience for the majority of surfers in the majority of conditions.
Dims are pretty chunky actually. 6’3 CI Pro is 19 7/8 wide. This one is 20 1/8.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Yeah DHD doesn't really design boards for fat cnuts.

Doubt they will sell many over 6'1".

If you watch Ewing surf he puts an incredible amount of energy into constantly moving rail to rail- without that I predict this board will be completely unresponsive to recreational surfers in less than stellar surf.

I did order one for my 14 yr old son, so I'll see what he thinks of it.

Reactions: Aruka

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I think that we are well and truly in the "mature technology" phase of surfboard design.

Materials?
In the early 2000s I had boards with:
* EPS/epoxy builds. Some with wood stringers, some with partial wood stringers (!!!).
* Leaf-spring suspension" type boards. Looks like some guys in the Sunny coast are advertising this on Stab as a "game changer" new tech
* multiple types of glassing combinations - biaxial, straight, E-cloth, S-cloth, basalt?
*PU/Epoxy
*Multiple types of stringer materials

These are just some options that were available for me here in Sydney, Oz at the time.

It's funny that the "highest performance" boards built for the world's best are constructed with 1950's technology by hand, with a basically-unchanged fin setup and sizing from a bloke who lives near me (in 1981).
And it works.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Interesting, I’ve never seen 5oz glassing before.

If Macca’s was my homebreak I’d be interested in this, but I have a feeling it’d be similar to what I thought of the CI Proton, which was magic when the waves got really good, but was tough to make work in the typical stuff I surf out front.

Reactions: freeride76

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The biggest changes in the last 30 years have probably been rockers and materials. Those will continue to evolve since rocker and board feel are so personal.

A close second is fin placement and fin configuration. Many of which have all been done before, but figuring them out using different lengths, outlines, ect......

Also, it's not fair to say the pros have been riding said material for 30 years and that's why it's the best. They surf a few select spots and are required to meet a certain criteria that none of us plebs are subject to. They ride what they grew up competing on because its easier and cheaper for their shapers to make 50 of them a year......and the feel is familiar. Many of them don't have the time or desire to experiment with other materials and designs.

One could argue pros have been stifling board progress for 30 years.

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.

Also, it's not fair to say the pros have been riding said material for 30 years and that's why it's the best. They surf a few select spots and are required to meet a certain criteria that none of us plebs are subject to. They ride what they grew up competing on because its easier and cheaper for their shapers to make 50 of them a year......and the feel is familiar. Many of them don't have the time or desire to experiment with other materials and designs.

One could argue pros have been stifling board progress for 30 years.
I'm slightly sympathetic to that argument but it's pretty much a load of BS from go to whoa.

Pros surf all around the world, at every spot imaginable- even moreso once you add "free-surf" pros into the equation.

No-one has more time to experiment with designs and materials- you will not find a pro now who has not experimented comprehensively with materials- at least the common alt-tech materials.

If there is a perceived performance advantage they will take it - ala Filipe and the DA quad or JJF and his dabble with DA.
Kelly with his TOMO FW's. etc etc.

All these alt-techs have now thoroughly washed through both pro and rec surfers cohorts - and yet the vast majority are still on or have gone back to PU/PE.

You need a much better hypothesis than the one above to account for that.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
No-one has more time to experiment with designs and materials- you will not find a pro now who has not experimented comprehensively with materials- at least the common alt-tech materials.
I'm going to call BS on this. We are talking about tour pros here. Very few tour pros are experimenting with alt tech materials between comps. You'll hear of some saying they tried an "epoxy" once and didn't like it.

If you've ever listened to Dave Prodan's podcast, he interviews a bunch of tour surfers. One question he asks each one of them is if they ever experiment with other boards or are they only riding their pointy nosed Ferarri between comps to stay sharp. 99% of them say they only ride their pointy nosed Ferarri.

You need a much better hypothesis than the one above to account for that.
Nah, it's solid.

The vast majority have been on PU/PE their entire lives.

That's my point. It's a familiar feel to them. Why risk money/career on an experiment?

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think moving away from pu/pe for every comp has already happened. Pools seem to attract eps blanks, unless they’ve gone back on that one too.

alt shapes will be used in the tour if/when judges score alternative lines on the wave.

Judges don’t know how to score more than 3 to the beach, or an air revo, so why break from a well clocked backhand snap with a bonus air reverse on the closing section?

I could think of a few complaints about judges limiting surfer creativity. The topic was broached regarding difficult air grabs that weren’t getting scores.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Because it offers a performance advantage.

It's almost like Toledo's riding of a DA's quad at Trestles never existed.

Almost like JJF's use of DA never existed, Bourez on FW's, Taj on FW's, early Toledo on FW's, Slater on FW's, Medina on EPS in the pool, Jordy on FW's in the pool, etc etc etc.

Every tour pro has now experimented with at least EPS/Epoxy builds.

You have to ignore a mountain of evidence to suggest that Pros' haven't tried alt-tech boards and found them wanting as reliable vehicles for the very highest level of surfing.

Then you need to explain why all the free-surf pros are still riding PU/PE- who aren't being judged.

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta