Youth activities

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have friends that are always taking their kids to activities. They have no life. They exist to drive their kids to karate, soccer, piano lessons, dance lessons. Kids are exhausted. Parents are exhausted. Too tired to be a couple. Too tired to fuck.
Yeah, basically.

I don't get it. I mean I get the desire for their kids to do great in life.

But as an observer it seems like the kids aren't kids, they are junior executives doing 70 hours workweeks to climb the corporate ladder.

And yeah, the relationship thing.

But as I said , I'm just an observer.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
off track a bit but in reference to gbg comment about sex - was in the us last month - had a blast hanging w friends but was wondering how many times a week these 52 yr olds bang their 50 year old wives who they been married to for 25 years

southeast asia has skewed my perception of reality

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
off track a bit but in reference to gbg comment about sex - was in the us last month - had a blast hanging w friends but was wondering how many times a week these 52 yr olds bang their 50 year old wives who they been married to for 25 years
You mean you didn't ask? :monkey:

How are the married muslin women in the sack? :devilish:

Do you put photos of your surf exploits on you Tinder profile?

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Probably the reason my kids stuck with surfing is that even though it was dad's passion and hobby it was still something that for the most part they did on their own and with their circle of friends. From the age of 10 they were free to ride their bicycles after school and go surf until dark on their own with their friends. In the summer, they'd be gone all day with a backpack, a few dollars for pizza, and a board. Even when we did the contest scene, it was more about hanging out with their friends than the competition. They were very lucky to grow up that close to a couple of quality surf breaks.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yeah, basically.

I don't get it. I mean I get the desire for their kids to do great in life.

But as an observer it seems like the kids aren't kids, they are junior executives doing 70 hours workweeks to climb the corporate ladder.

And yeah, the relationship thing.

But as I said , I'm just an observer.
I don’t think you need to be a parent to make this observation. You know how exhausting it would be to do that as a kid. It’s one thing if the kids are actually stoked on all those activities and enjoy them. If they aren’t then they will likely grow to resent the activities and you for it.

I heard one dad say that the parents enthusiasm for anything their kid does should match that of their kid. That way you aren’t pushing them to like something they aren’t into, while also not discouraging them from activities they show interest in.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don’t think you need to be a parent to make this observation. You know how exhausting it would be to do that as a kid. It’s one thing if the kids are actually stoked on all those activities and enjoy them. If they aren’t then they will likely grow to resent the activities and you for it.

I heard one dad say that the parents enthusiasm for anything their kid does should match that of their kid. That way you aren’t pushing them to like something they aren’t into, while also not discouraging them from activities they show interest in.
These parents are grooming their children to be a bureaucratic layer in GloboMegaCorp run by H1B Pajeet, possibly ascending to middle management which comes with a massive waistline and compression socks. So, you see, it's all worth it.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC

I have no complaints in this regard.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
The one thing people forget is times change. Most parents will NOT let their kids free roam the outside world anymore. Most kids aren't even allowed to go in semi-gated front yard alone.

If you're not taking your child to activities, then they are in the house with you and bored. They will resort to screens. Count the # of screens in your house. It's usually a lot. Books will only fill part of the time. My wife goes to the library once a week minimum for our 9-11 year olds. They go through about 25 books a week between the 2 of them. I only keep them in 1 activity at a time, (music classes are an ongoing and I don't count that as an activity) but the activities do give them something to do out of the house in a safe environment.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Unstructured free play when I was a kid was what it was about. The one advantage I had that my kids don't was that there over 2 dozen other kids my age on my block alone...0
Yeah, there was something like that for me too.

I can hear dear old dad shouting, "Why are all these other kids here? Who are they? Are we feeding them too? Don't you ever go to their parents' home and use up their stuff?"

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I can hear dear old dad shouting, "Why are all these other kids here? Who are they? Are we feeding them too? Don't you ever go to their parents' home and use up their stuff?"
We started doing that in kindergarten and continued through high school. Mostly the same group of friends. The parents knew each other to some degree. Back then isn’t now, neighborhood doesn’t mean the same thing.

At five and a half with an hour drive each way that’s difficult for outdoor activities throughout the whole month. What kind of PE does she have in school?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The one thing people forget is times change. Most parents will NOT let their kids free roam the outside world anymore. Most kids aren't even allowed to go in semi-gated front yard alone.

If you're not taking your child to activities, then they are in the house with you and bored. They will resort to screens. Count the # of screens in your house. It's usually a lot. Books will only fill part of the time. My wife goes to the library once a week minimum for our 9-11 year olds. They go through about 25 books a week between the 2 of them. I only keep them in 1 activity at a time, (music classes are an ongoing and I don't count that as an activity) but the activities do give them something to do out of the house in a safe environment.
So glad my kids did not have to grow up like that. My kids were outside a ton and by 10 were biking all over the island particularly in the off season. We have a nice concrete skate park three blocks away and they were on their own over there all the time and surfing with their friends.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yeah, there was something like that for me too.

The mutual destruction of homes sometimes did also result in calls from one parent to another and resulting ass-whoopings.

Name-dropping time. We had a neighborhood rec center with a pool. Beach volleyball legend Kent Steffes' brother used to work as a lifeguard there, not very hard I might add. His primary skills were sinking the diving board into the water and passing out on the pool table, giving it terrible table curve; I have since become an expert at identifying causes of unfavorable table curve at bar pool tables. But what he was really good at was yelling us kids to not run around the pool, would make us walk laps around as punishment, gave us trouble at being too young in the jacuzzi, overall nagging, etc. etc.

One time I had enough when he said I was walking too fast around the pool as punishment so I clicked my heels together, yelled "Jawohl mein Fuhrer" and started goose-stepping. Got banned for a week (I still snuck in). It was funny as fuck because all my friends were there to witness it, my mom heard about on the phone before I got home, she was laughing too hard to truly lay down any law, just "why did you ALSO have to goose step"?

Good times in the neighborhood.

Ring cams have also destroyed the childhood neighborhood camaraderie of ding-dong ditch and TPing houses. I shudder to think what we would have down to Amazon packages. Oh we wouldn't have stolen them but... :poop::drowning::roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: npsp and john4surf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Call me a helicopter dad, but 5.5 is a little young for the off leash wandering of the neighborhood.
We'll get there, but not yet. We're still mastering how to ride a bike and how to make sure you don't get hit by a car.

Reactions: john4surf and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Call me a helicopter dad, but 5.5 is a little young for the off leash wandering of the neighborhood.
We'll get there, but not yet. We're still mastering how to ride a bike and how to make sure you don't get hit by a car.
Way too young. I'd say 9 or 10 but with friends that preferably won't ditch them. Pay phones are no more so a flip phone or other limited communication device (i.e., no social media or apps except maps) does make sense if they are going to roam with range.

Reactions: grapedrink