Album Surfboards

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I swear I thought about qualifying that post by saying something like, "I'm sure Casa will claim he knows this already."
As I've said before, I was told the Album story long ago by a few very reliable sources who were around when things started up.

I've refrained from sharing it because it will ruffle too many feathers here - for some reason certain people just can't handle a brick falling out of the positive wall of noise when it comes to any surfboard brand that isn't a main producer i.e. Mayhem, JS, CI.

I already know the exact way the conversation will go and it will make people upset so I'm not going to bother.

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
As I've said before, I was told the Album story long ago by a few very reliable sources who were around when things started up.

I've refrained from sharing it because it will ruffle too many feathers here - for some reason certain people just can't handle a brick falling out of the positive wall of noise when it comes to any surfboard brand that isn't a main producer i.e. Mayhem, JS, CI.

I already know the exact way the conversation will go and it will make people upset so I'm not going to bother.
Christ you just cant stop channeling your inner Griffin....quit playing coy. Man up if your gonna talk sh!t and spill the beans....this just makes you look weak.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
RL be like:tmp.gifNot the end of the world but certainly an interesting wrinkle since they usually specify which of three glass shop did each stoke boar. I guess if it isn’t noted, maybe it’s Mex? Or maybe it’s for certain markets? Almost all of mine were used so probably have a couple tablas Mexicanas in the mix. Never had any issues with quality / finish.
My customs have been through Varial, but I would certainly specify Waterman’s if I ordered through them. But I would’ve done that anyway… to avoid LightsOut! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
So, high margins (for surfboards), polished marketing and team riders, and multiple sources of glassing to avoid production bottlenecks, other streams of revenue & brand appeal to the tech/hipster crowd (which has money to spend). Appears like Album is choosing to run their outfit like a thriving business, thriving business in surfboards keeps surfboard manufacturing from being pushed overseas to container ships, which contributes to avoiding the future apocalypse of China-only-made surfboards that Casa keeps predicting.

Ipso facto, joke's on y'all, Casa actually loves Album

Personally I'm mostly priced out, and there are so many other good options to get custom boars from around here. But if most of the boars they built went like crap, we'd know about it.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
oh noes my album slides are made in mexico!!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

caca is triggered by twin fins and loves to stir the pot here

as someone above said, wouldn't matter if the boards didn't go and my personal experience has been that (1) they do and (2) build quality is great

brb ordering another album

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
But if most of the boars they built went like crap, we'd know about it.
Not directed at Album, but speaking in generalities boards can go like crap but marketing always wins.

Just look at Firewire - they even have customers paying a premium.

The boards sell. They can afford to pay surfers to market their product.

There's a million surfers out there that will tell you how great FWs surf.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Not directed at Album, but speaking in generalities boards can go like crap but marketing always wins.

Totally. Marketing does win out a lot. Firewire is a good example of it. Without marketing, businesses don't flourish. Without board-building businesses flourishing, we get shipping-container-board-apocalypse. Lots of board builders market their product to surfers.

But, thankfully, we can choose where our dollars go to buy surfboars. I do it all the time.

Side note, maybe we lobby Album to differentiate between boards with pizza stains and boards with adobada stains?

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Also @casa_mugrienta maybe you don't need to be so triggered by twin fins. Here's a dude on a board built by your shaper of choice absolutely fricken ripping on a twin fin.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

The boards sell. They can afford to pay surfers to market their product.

I’m sure some FireWire boards work well.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
More boards than you would think go to Baja for glassing. They pick up in SD and bring back. To me that is locally made as the trade is done near by-not Asia.
I didn't know that and honestly never thought about it, but makes sense financially. I live like 30 miles from the border. IMO that's a lot different than shipping from overseas.

Reactions: Havoc and urchined