Youth activities

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Sailing.
My middle one is in Maryland at St. Mary's. No full rides for sailing, but we get help.
Where would you rather be in August? In Lancaster on a soccer field in 110 degree heat? Or watching your kids race from the bar of a yacht club in Santa Barbara with other ocean oriented dads? Easy.

Point Loma HS has many national championships and people have made their careers from their sailing experiences.
A good work friend of mine (she was the subject of a very torrid and controversial thread I started about 14 years ago) went to St Mary’s to sail. She never went pro but a bunch of her college teammates did. She now owns and races a J boat with her husband.

all these years later she still raves about her experience there

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Don't be the parent that pushes your kids into specific sports for the college scholarship or pro athlete prospects. The parents all think their kid is an all star and most the kids are just trying to please the parents. Expose them to multiple activities and let them decide what's the best fit. Don't get emotionally invested, they'll probably change their mind.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Don't be the parent that pushes your kids into specific sports for the college scholarship or pro athlete prospects. The parents all think their kid is an all star and most the kids are just trying to please the parents. Expose them to multiple activities and let them decide what's the best fit. Don't get emotionally invested, they'll probably change their mind.
Except for surfing. Your child can totally be a pro surfer if you homeschool them enough, proving to the world for once and for all that given the right opportunities you ostensibly coulda been one too.

Last edited:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
^ what kelpcutter said ^ when we lived in Rancho Bernardo both our kids were involved with soccer. My son tried t-ball but was bored (thankfully). He tried Pop Warner football but his small size at the time usually had him on his butt on the field. He tried basketball but bounced along with the ball (the coach, a great guy suggested he try another sport). About this time, my daughter was leaving for college, we sold her horse, sold our house and moved to Cardiff. Got him on a surfboard when he was 7, by the time he was 9-10 he was a ripper. He’s in his late 40s now and still dawn patrols 3-4 times a week.

Let the kids tell you what they enjoy re sports and be there for them whenever you can.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
As others have said, expose your kids to as many different activities as you can: sports, nature, music, dance, art, technology, etc. It may take a few years, but they'll (hopefully) end up choosing something to their liking, and taking it further.

And then you, as a parent, must fully support them in their passion even though you might absolutely hate it. My good friend, a super outdoorsy/hunter/sports guy has two daughters that love to dance, and they travel around CA for dance recitals/competitions. Drives him nuts, and is bored to death, but he's there for them 100%.

Luckily, mine are super into sports and nature, so that works for me and my wife.

Mar 7, 2018
got two: 15 and 17 yo boys/men.
i used to take them to the beach and skate parks.
they both became sponsored skaters from about 10 to 14.
then we moved about 100km away.
the loss of the kid community they had and the crap skate community in new area killed their enthusiasm.
the new home is semi rural.
local kids were ripping around on dirt bikes.
after much deliberation, so were they.
they love it and are quick enough to do well in state competition.
not winners but up there.
it is still their sport of choice except during the heat of summer when the beach calls.
in summer they swim, boogie or surf depending on conditions.
ultimately, they will never be world beaters at any sport - like their dad.
dad doesnt care. i am happy for them to compete.
losing is an important concept to instill.
learning from losing will get them further in life more than anything else.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Good parents doubt their parenting and worry if they're doing enough.

Shitty parents think they're doing a great job and that their kids are fine.

Good on ya for asking the questions and seeking out this info. Our daughter is 9. She has been playing drums for 2 years. She skis, skates a longboard, mountain bikes, rock climbs at the Y, gymnastics at the Y, swims at the Y, and has been in sailing classes the past two summers. She is lukewarm about most of it, but enjoys the camaraderie. Soccer, despite multiple seasons, has been a bust. Coaches make a difference. She loves her ski coach and she identifies as a skier, whereas the rest are just activities she does sometimes. She's 9. I used to stress about her finding her thing, but now we tell her that if she commits she has to finish and then see what happens. We also do after school STEM programs when available (she is at a STEM school).

I took her surfing last summer on a knee to thigh high day. I waded out and pushed her out to the lineup, let her sit up on the longboard. The first wave rolled underneath her and she lit up, "Whoa! Dad, I see why you love this so much." We spent the next hour out there, me pushing her into waves and her standing and riding them to the beach. It's in there now, the seed has been planted. We'll see where she takes it.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When my daughter was in elementary school a group of kids (and parents) formed and they would just play, totally unstructured, at the park next to the school just about everyday. Some of the parents are still friends, the kids instead went their own ways in middle school.

Reactions: Havoc and john4surf

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
He’s in his late 40s now and still dawn patrols 3-4 times a week.
Oly is a legend!

Lot's of mention of kids that don't surf. Add me to the club with 30, 28 sons. One is now a rocket scientist, the other is finishing doctorate in physical therapy. Not a bad trade.

Best thing you can do is give them you.
Music and art makes kids smarter.
Sports instills discipline, camaraderie, and teamwork.
Try the YMCA Indian Guides program.