Professional thieves La Jolla Shores.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Who tf buries their keys in the sand before a surf? At least take the time to roll them up in a towel and leave the towel under a guard tower or something.
I use completely opposite strategy. Leave the car unlocked. Place valuables under stained underwear. Problem solved.

• Haha
Reactions: sushipop

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Really? I don't know what your fob does, but mine opens the doors and starts the car.

If you leave it in the car, all the thieves have to do is pull your door handle, and drive away.

Unless your fob is protected in a sleeve or something.
I have a 10 year old Nissan. When you detach the mechanical key and use it to lock the door with the fob inside, you can't tap the door switch or yank on the handle or any of that to gain entry to the car. I haven't smashed my own window to see if it would start or not. My guess is it would.

This has worked with a few Audis rented in California, however the most recent one had the mechanical key hole hidden under a plastic piece that had to be pried off.

I had a Pathfinder in PR and the can't-lock-fob-in-car bit was more sophisticated. I was able to get it to work by putting the fob in the glove box but just leaving it in my shorts pocket was a no go. In that case you might need a Faraday bag to put the fob in.

At this point between real estate, traffic, crowds, etc. it would be cheaper and less hassle to sell all, move someplace in Sub Saharan Africa, and buy off the local warlord.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ and Subway

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I have a 10 year old Nissan. When you detach the mechanical key and use it to lock the door with the fob inside, you can't tap the door switch or yank on the handle or any of that to gain entry to the car. I haven't smashed my own window to see if it would start or not. My guess is it would.

This has worked with a few Audis rented in California, however the most recent one had the mechanical key hole hidden under a plastic piece that had to be pried off.

I had a Pathfinder in PR and the can't-lock-fob-in-car bit was more sophisticated. I was able to get it to work by putting the fob in the glove box but just leaving it in my shorts pocket was a no go. In that case you might need a Faraday bag to put the fob in.

At this point between real estate, traffic, crowds, etc. it would be cheaper and less hassle to sell all, move someplace in Sub Saharan Africa, and buy off the local warlord.
cars can tell if the fob is inside or outside the car. If outside it’ll still unlock the doors, if inside no.

Reactions: npsp

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Ohhhhhh. sh!t. I'm getting one! The erBB delivers again.
The battery eventually dies. You can replace it, but it's VHB taped on and might fall apart taking it off. The original one on the driver's side died, but I had the back up. Always have 2, just in case the oldest dies. Thought about having one on the back for surfing, too.

Why can't the other car manufacturers make these? I'm going to start a side business and make a killing.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
cars can tell if the fob is inside or outside the car. If outside it’ll still unlock the doors, if inside no.
Word but behavior is subject to variance.

2011 Nissan owned by me. 1. Remove mechanical key. 2. Toss fob in car. 3. Mechanically lock car = car stays locked and alarm doesn't go apeshit upon completion of sessions. Same for rented Audis.

2023? Nissan rented in PR. 1. Remove mechanical key. 2. Toss fob in car. 3. Try to lock car. Car senses fob in car and unlocks itself.

The poster I started flapping my fat hole in response to was saying they and dealership staff were unable to use the mechanical key to lock the car for a surf.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
No, like this:
so if the thief finds the fob in the car, he wouldn't think to press the unlock button once to re-enable it?? LOL

Anyway, I can tell you from personal experience...
Do not hide your key on/near the vehicle (under bumper, wheel well, tire) the pro are watching you as you suit up and leave your car.
Do not use one of those master lockboxes to hide your fob. They can be broken into, quite easily apparently.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005

I just tried that on my Acura. Took the mechanical key out, left the fob inside, and locked the doors. I could still open the doors, and start the car.

I wrapped the fob in foil, left it inside, and locked the doors. Couldn't open the doors or start the car.

I guess it varies by vehicle. Getting a RFID sleeve for the fob seems like a plan.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Run into that issue with rental cars with smart-keys. Even after taking the valet key out, car often won't lock w/ the key in the whip. In lieu of a Faraday pouch, aluminum-foil works great.

Wrap the key in foil, take valet key with you, lock car. Chip in the key gets blocked by the foil.

Reactions: PJ and Clayster

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
You guys have to disable the fob before removing the mechanical key and locking the fob inside. It's simple, usually just a sequence of pushing the buttons on the fob.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I'm tech illiterate.

Had nothing on my phone. I don't use apple pay or that kinda crap.
Ah okay, after reading the other thread, they got into your finances by having your ID and cards in your wallet. Seem crazy they would be able to break the iphone password and text your wife (I hope shes not named "wife" in your contacts :shrug: ) but it doesnt seem like they got anything else as far as financial authorization or credentials from the phone.

This reminds me, I did get hit many years ago in the streets near LJ SHores. Truck was locked with the keys inside because I have a keypad entry on the drivers door. When I came back t the truck it was still locked, obviously being done so you are not immediately tipped off, so we got in and drive away to pick up food when my wife noticed her cards and ID were gone but her purse remained. It was then that I checked my wallet in the center console and found some cards missing that I knew we'd been hit.

Only ended up being a few Txn at gas stations way way out of town, which leads me to believe its highly coordinated. Like they steal the cards and immediately hit up friends with authority at any given business who can start running transactions right away. Meaning, they aren't driving straight to a gas station to try and physically use the cards. The charges on mine were from like El Cajon or somewhere way too far to get to within the hour we were gone.