Goleta Closed - 1 Million Gallon Sewage Spill

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department announced Thursday that it was closing two beaches in the county indefinitely, after waterways were contaminated by thousands of gallons of sewage spilling from a sewer line and manhole that were damaged due to the storm. Goleta Beach is closed from 1 mile east to 0.5 mile west of the Goleta Slough outfall after “a release of approximately 1,025,000 gallons of sewage from a damaged force main sewer line near the Santa Barbara Airport to the Goleta Slough during the recent rain event,” the department wrote in a media release.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department announced Thursday that it was closing two beaches in the county indefinitely, after waterways were contaminated by thousands of gallons of sewage spilling from a sewer line and manhole that were damaged due to the storm. Goleta Beach is closed from 1 mile east to 0.5 mile west of the Goleta Slough outfall after “a release of approximately 1,025,000 gallons of sewage from a damaged force main sewer line near the Santa Barbara Airport to the Goleta Slough during the recent rain event,” the department wrote in a media release.
Our county government has a difficult time spending our money on things that actually benefit us.

Like, ya know, updating ancient infrastructure. They’ll just blame it on external forces “beyond our control” - ignoring decades of neglect - declare an “emergency” and the federal government will pay for any pathetic “cleanup” they pretend to do.

I’ll be working with County Environmental Health on Tuesday morning for something unrelated to this but I’ll see what kind info I can get on this. If it’s anything not in the news I’ll update you all here (as long as it doesn’t compromise any of the players).

Let’s just say that history shows this will get ”cleaned up” by the ocean currents, wind and waves.

Dilution is the solution to pollution…..

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Our county government has a difficult time spending our money on things that actually benefit us.

Like, ya know, updating ancient infrastructure. They’ll just blame it on external forces “beyond our control” - ignoring decades of neglect - declare an “emergency” and the federal government will pay for any pathetic “cleanup” they pretend to do.

I’ll be working with County Environmental Health on Tuesday morning for something unrelated to this but I’ll see what kind info I can get on this. If it’s anything not in the news I’ll update you all here (as long as it doesn’t compromise any of the players).

Let’s just say that history shows this will get ”cleaned up” by the ocean currents, wind and waves.

Down here, the local reservoir can't be filled because the dam hasn't been maintained. Instead, they just let the water run into the ocean then blame the drought after 100 trillion gallons of rain over the past 2 years. At this point, I assume most of the tax money for maintenance is diverted to pensions and consultants. An interesting thought experiment is to ask yourself what the USA would look like if it was going through the same cycle as the late-stage USSR.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc and npsp

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Olympic sized swimming pool: 490,000 gallons

that's a lot of poo.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Weird to see the word "Goleta" on the erBB, besides next to my username.

All I've got to say is that if humans are gonna put sewer lines right next to an active tidal estuary, they better be prepared for sh!t (pun intended) like this to happen.

The Goleta valley and slough have very interesting erosion and cultural history.
Here's what it looked like when the spanish first started arriving:

Here's a hybrid map showing where the water would lie on our modern city:

And then this happened: (taken from goletahistory.com)
"In late 1861, heavy rain started falling and didn’t stop, dumping inch after inch on the over grazed foothills surrounding Goleta. The rain continued for months in what would be known as the Great Flood of 1862, wreaking havoc throughout California. The over abundant rain caused rapid erosion and muddy water poured down through the creeks, dumping fourteen feet of silt into the slough.

Along with the sediment came uprooted trees and chaparral, colliding with the incoming ocean tide, and settling into the slough. After the first week of steady rain, the slough became a huge, shallow bay from Hope Ranch to the Devereux lagoon. The great lagoon that had been a safe haven for ships for centuries was turned into a shallow, mud bog in a very short period. It was never to be the same again."

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
That map shows why the airport floods when it rains like hell and there's a high tide. It just can't drain fast enough.

Reactions: sh3

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Our counties must have seances! Maybe if DPW devoted more effort towards infrastructure than median strip landscaping perhaps?

Sucks this is happening in Goleta. Beautiful area beshitted. :(

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Old news but true news.

They said 1/2 million gallons of raw sewage "spilled." Then on Friday they said, "Whoops. Looks like it's over a million gallons."

And by "spilled," I was told it's a hole in a sewage pipe by the airport, so before any treatment occurs. Fantastic.

By the way, same thing occurred in Ventura this weekend.

Reactions: Boneroni

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015

Would you paddle out at donkey gulch right now!? :toilet: