Goleta Closed - 1 Million Gallon Sewage Spill

Feb 18, 2024
Special service districts tend to have better asset management programs than municipal public works departments. SSDs only operate the specific utility and revenue from rates go to that utility. Water and sewer generate revenue that is supposed to go the maintenance and operation of that specific utility. Unfortunately, that revenue gets siphoned off to cover the costs of non-revenue generating services. This results in deferred maintenance that turns into an emergency situation.

In another life I had an ongoing pump spare parts quote to the City of San Diego (for budgeting purposes) that was in the high 6 figures. Over 4 years, not one part on that quote was purchased. Over that same time, I sold them several new pumps totaling in the 7 figures to replace pumps that failed due to lack of maintenance. As a commissioned sales person, it was not bad. As a rate payer I was not happy.
I know exactly what you mean I have been on the install side of this and it’s definitely a disservice to the taxpayer and most of the Maintenance can be done in the house and it cost reduction to the taxpayer three times as much money to have us replace it Like you said, good for us but crappy for the taxpayer. We also have a Commercial plumbing division that is strictly on the private side, and we rarely see situations like this where a corporation foots the bill.

Reactions: Senor Sopa and npsp

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Well done PUBLIC WORKS or whoever handles the PR for this kind of sh!t down there.
I know the people that handle not only the PR but also the “prevention“ and “clean up” of these types of things.

These are not competent, dynamic people. Midwits are running things. And not just here. I work with various health, hazmat, public works agencies all around the state. Incompetence is the baseline norm.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Update from a source at the county:

The sewage release happened SIX DAYS before it was disclosed to the public.
When were the regulatory agencies involved? Is that who did the public disclosure? What kind of mitigation is planned for what’s already leaked and by whom?

Feb 18, 2024
Update from a source at the county:

The sewage release happened SIX DAYS before it was disclosed to the public.
This dose not surprise me at all I have seen situations where the public was down right lie to when they thought they could get away with it or blamed another operator.

• Wow
Reactions: Boneroni

SClem. local

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 19, 2002
Interesting points being made on this thread. I'm not an expert, but I think one thing many don't realize is that many jurisdiction's funds are often tied to Impact Fees of developments. Problem is that those impact fee accounts should only be used on EXPANSION of the sewer and water systems, and are not supposed to be used for maintenance of existing systems. If citizens want good preventative maintenance, then rates typically need to go up. Like he said above, pressure mains are not typically maintained until they break (it's inconvenient to users to camera a pressure main). To test or replace them based on pipeline lifespans needs funding that most jurisdictions just don't have lying around.... Unless people want to pay higher rates.

If the State (of California) gets involved to limit rate increases, then I expect that we surfers will see higher rates of sewage spills.

Nobody wants higher rates, but nobody likes it when things break. There's a fine line that needs to be balanced.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I'm sure many cities are looking at similar numbers. Here are the upcoming rate increases for two of the poo districts in Encinitas. We will still be middle of the pack in rates.
CSD - 100%
ESD - 138%
1709303847751.png

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Interesting points being made on this thread. I'm not an expert, but I think one thing many don't realize is that many jurisdiction's funds are often tied to Impact Fees of developments. Problem is that those impact fee accounts should only be used on EXPANSION of the sewer and water systems, and are not supposed to be used for maintenance of existing systems. If citizens want good preventative maintenance, then rates typically need to go up. Like he said above, pressure mains are not typically maintained until they break (it's inconvenient to users to camera a pressure main). To test or replace them based on pipeline lifespans needs funding that most jurisdictions just don't have lying around.... Unless people want to pay higher rates.

If the State (of California) gets involved to limit rate increases, then I expect that we surfers will see higher rates of sewage spills.

Nobody wants higher rates, but nobody likes it when things break. There's a fine line that needs to be balanced.
Utilities that are well run and have a solid asset management program tend to have lower rates. These utilities do continually inspect for leaks in both pressurized and gravity water distribution and sewer collection systems. They do not need to interrupt service to camera the lines to detect leaks. Leaks are found by listening for them using a variety of techniques.
Poorly run utilities with little regard for asset management have to charge higher rates due to the neglect of their infrastructure. When you run to fail, it costs a lot more to bring the system back on line in an emergency situation. Then the band-aid is left to fall off again and again until a complete collapse forcing an expensive rehab/upgrade resulting in a big rate hike.
A well maintained asset has a significantly lower overall lifecycle cost to operate which in turn keeps rates low benefiting the customer.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I'm sure many cities are looking at similar numbers. Here are the upcoming rate increases for two of the poo districts in Encinitas. We will still be middle of the pack in rates.
CSD - 100%
ESD - 138%
View attachment 174076
Unfortunately, those two districts have not kept pace with the JPA on maintaining and upgrading their infrastructure and increasing rates in small increments to allow for needed upgrades. The JPA that operates the two treatment plants is pretty well run and has a good asset management program.
Encinitas's problem is that the water and sewer districts have been overseen by a City Council that has been more concerned with bike lanes and catering to the homeless than the upkeep of critical infrastructure.

Feb 18, 2024
We
Utilities that are well run and have a solid asset management program tend to have lower rates. These utilities do continually inspect for leaks in both pressurized and gravity water distribution and sewer collection systems. They do not need to interrupt service to camera the lines to detect leaks. Leaks are found by listening for them using a variety of techniques.
Poorly run utilities with little regard for asset management have to charge higher rates due to the neglect of their infrastructure. When you run to fail, it costs a lot more to bring the system back on line in an emergency situation. Then the band-aid is left to fall off again and again until a complete collapse forcing an expensive rehab/upgrade resulting in a big rate hike.
A well maintained asset has a significantly lower overall lifecycle cost to operate which in turn keeps rates low benefiting the customer.
We provide ultrasonic leak detection it work well on water lines and has varying degrees of success on forced mains depending on Depth and soil type, and it’s not widely used by most Municipalities because it’s incredibly costly to go over a whole pipeline And provide traffic control gravity systems are relatively easy and low cost to inspect but like npsp stated it much More cost effective To provide good asset management as opposed to wait and see

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Why are my rates already so much higher than other states and why should I pay more? Seems like I'm already paying more because my utilities are incompetently-run kleptocracies.

Reactions: Havoc