New Zealand – March/April

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
@Maz or any other aficionados of the enzed,

Curious if y'all have any recommendations on where to post up for a week or two in New Zealand at the end of March/beginning of April. Looking for access to surf and good hikes, maybe some decent spots to eat.

Having been once, my first inclination would be Raglan area or New Plymouth. But I was dirtbagging it in winter and now I'd be with my lady and folks. My dad surfs, but he's in his seventies now, so not sure how much water time he wants.

We'd likely have a car for some day trips, but don't think they want to move around too much.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
March and April are prime time in NZ. Raglan is likely to be very good, as is Taranaki. Good places to eat in Rags for how small the place is, and New Plymouth has really blossomed the last 5-10 years. Consistent west coast swells, warm'ish water, offshores, reefs and points.

Otherwise Coromandel Peninsula - Whangamata, Tairua etc. Less consistent swell, but beautiful area. Mainly beach breaks.

More thinking later.

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
Rad, thanks so much!

I'll be really curious to see. I was there 15+ years ago. Tried to live in Taranaki, even got a temporary work permit, but ran out of money before I could find a place that wanted to hire someone that couldn't stay more than 18 months.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Following NZ is on my list , have a good friend who lives on familys farm in Hawkes bay area I think?

He is always scoring fun looking solo surf
Yes, I was going to mention Mahia Peninsula too. Riddled with good surf, but very isolated, and possibly a bit rough for some.

Hawke's Bay around Napier is very fickle, which I know only too well as my wife's from there and we visit family a lot. Shallow bay, spots mostly far apart, often very soft. BUT the river mouths do get world class on occasion.

Reactions: therarebirdshow

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
That area is really cool! It was like a ghost town when I went, though. Kinda creepy with everything set up for a summer getaway and no one around. And I had one of my more uncomfortable surfs there at Rolling Stones (I think it had another name, too). Showed up solo to what looked like fun, head high point surf. Paddled out to find out it was solid DOH, flat light, not a goddamn soul around, and a shark net bobbing outside.

Next day the sun came out and the swell dropped and it was a blast.

Reactions: Maz

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
Yes, I was going to mention Mahia Peninsula too. Riddled with good surf, but very isolated, and possibly a bit rough for some.

Hawke's Bay around Napier is very fickle, which I know only too well as my wife's from there and we visit family a lot. Shallow bay, spots mostly far apart, often very soft. BUT the river mouths do get world class on occasion.

Well that does look dreamy

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I surfed that bank, but only knee to thigh high. It was an absolute doozy, probably 300m long and so fast and perfect. There was one guy on a longboard having the best time, and me only just getting going on my shorty.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Go find the Coro Gold. Had pretty good luck in March, a long arse time ago now. Can jump to the other side, if there's no swell. Good hiking as well.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Sounds like a good quiver. A pity I won’t be in Raglan while you’re visiting; plenty of bigger boards you could have borrowed.