Pyzel Ghost?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I'd go an inch or two longer than your height. Slim it down if you're scared of volume.

6'1 x 178, stock 6'4.

Last edited:
Reactions: emmohl80

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Im 6'3 180. Had two Ghosts when I was about 15 lbs. lighter. 6'3" and a 6'5". Both custom. Similar to the Ghost Pro dims.

Both were good but I preferred the shorter/wider one. It felt like it didn't need to be absolutely cooking for the board to come alive so it was just a little more versatile. Felt like the 6-5's sweet spot for paddling was further forward than the ideal spot for shredding so I would find my back foot hunting for the tail kick whereas I was always in the sweet spot on the 6'3". Had some memorable sessions on both boards though.

I've kind of gone away from the stubby step ups but I've been tempted many times to get another Ghost. Would probably split the difference and get a 6'4".

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Rooker: "Felt like the 6-5's sweet spot for paddling was further forward than the ideal spot for shredding so I would find my back foot hunting for the tail kick whereas I was always in the sweet spot on the 6'3"."

But that's the reality of surfing 'good' waves, isn't it? You're on a bigger board to get in, and to lay rail going stupid fast, so you have to move that back foot a bit.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I'd go an inch or two longer than your height. Slim it down if you're scared of volume.

6'1 x 178, stock 6'4.
I think you're telling me to go with a 6'3 and a 6'6 Pro? :jamon:
Likely go with a 6'3 as I feel It'll be a little more versatile.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I go the opposite way and size mine like I would a legit step up 6" over my height. Mines a 6'3". When i'm grabbing that board, waters moving, sets are firing, and its a great day out, and I'm not trying to miss any. Does well up to DOH for me which is usually where I call it. The 1 board I always make sure to travel with. If you don't have one yet definitely go for it. Boards a beast at paddling into waves and pulling off Houdini late takeoffs on waves I shouldn't make.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Rooker: "Felt like the 6-5's sweet spot for paddling was further forward than the ideal spot for shredding so I would find my back foot hunting for the tail kick whereas I was always in the sweet spot on the 6'3"."

But that's the reality of surfing 'good' waves, isn't it? You're on a bigger board to get in, and to lay rail going stupid fast, so you have to move that back foot a bit.
Totally. I'd probably have a different take if I had your waves at my disposal. For our glorified closeouts I often don't have a lot of time to get my feet situated and a board on which I more easily fall into the sweet spot without much adjustment is favored. The Ghost to me isn't exactly a sit-out-the-back-and-glide-in-early type of board, even at 6'5 or whatever so I just liked the little bit shorter length for taking off under the hook.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Totally. I'd probably have a different take if I had your waves at my disposal. For our glorified closeouts I often don't have a lot of time to get my feet situated and a board on which I more easily fall into the sweet spot without much adjustment is favored. The Ghost to me isn't exactly a sit-out-the-back-and-glide-in-early type of board, even at 6'5 or whatever so I just liked the little bit shorter length for taking off under the hook.
This is kinda my thinking also. Want a bit of paddle power for when it gets punchy here.
That Barley review vid makes it seem like it may have a touch more range than I initially thought.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
It is a wide point forward board so it's meant to be ridden fairly compact. I'm 5'10 x 165 and I'm happy with my stock 6'0. My previous step up was a 90s 6'8 Aloha which has like 8" of useless narrow rockered nose so it paddles about the same.

When I bought it I was riding shorter boards but it's still in my quiver as my taste has changed and now it's actually my shortest board. I wouldn't hesitate to grab in serious surf at home or to throw in a boardbag for a trip where it will be solid. Seems like around your height or a few inches bigger will work. It's not too fussy. You don't need to sweat sizing it perfectly, it's a pretty forgiving board. If you wanted to ride something a lot bigger, I'd look at a mini paddillac.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I went with the stock 6'6" x 20.5 x 3" ~ 40.10L. Given my dims at 5'6" x 170lbs .... I'm sure you're all thinking way too much board / volume but i also just turned 64 yrs old. I'm in really good shape and hold my own surfing with guys 15-20 yrs younger. Our season hasn't started so ... i've been getting used to it in less than optimal conditions and still sorting our fins. What i like so far is it doesn't feel like a big or bulky board .... the rails feel amazing ... i can paddle it well around the lineup even with a lot of current ... but really important to me ... especially when waves of consequence start to show up down here is i can duck dive it easily. I guess for me its a step-up high performance mid-length hybrid! LOL
20231111_112311.jpg