Vanlifers or Cab over 4WD pick-up?

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Did you ever get the Lightning?
Nope. Got my reserve deposit back. What really stirred me was looking at the new GMC EV truck. I’m looking at somebody who’s been making Volts for decades now. I don’t need to be Fords test discovery product. But GMC engineering sucks in general but in the EV market, they might just find themselves ahead of the curve.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Nope. Got my reserve deposit back. What really stirred me was looking at the new GMC EV truck. I’m looking at somebody who’s been making Volts for decades now. I don’t need to be Fords test discovery product. But GMC engineering sucks in general but in the EV market, they might just find themselves ahead of the curve.
This one looks nice. I like to open cab function. Now with a topper you can keep boards, including longboards, locked away. Wonder what the msrp will be?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pico
Feb 18, 2024
I got a promaster that i built out for climbing and surfing it way better for the family setup, but nothing beats a 4x4 truck with a topper for a single guy rig

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I got a promaster that i built out for climbing and surfing it way better for the family setup, but nothing beats a 4x4 truck with a topper for a single guy rig
The rear axle of the Promaster looks like it was designed to hit rocks on dirt roads. I don’t do any serious rock crawling but have been down a lot of dirt roads where that axle might be a liability. Ever had issues?

001-003.JPG

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I have a 2020 Toyota Hilux Turbo Diesel complete with snorkel. I've owned two Jeeps, a Pathfinder, a Tahoe , a Blazer , a Silverado, a Toyota FJ and to this point the Hilux is easily the best so far .... understandable why it is so popular with various International groups .... the only thing my truck is missing is the 50cal machine gun mounted in the bed of the truck ... but i'm working on it!

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I have a 2020 Toyota Hilux Turbo Diesel complete with snorkel. I've owned two Jeeps, a Pathfinder, a Tahoe , a Blazer , a Silverado, a Toyota FJ and to this point the Hilux is easily the best so far .... understandable why it is so popular with various International groups .... the only thing my truck is missing is the 50cal machine gun mounted in the bed of the truck ... but i'm working on it!
How often have you used that snorkel? If the water is ever higher than your stock air cleaner chances are you are going for a ride downstream if you attempt to cross it. Stupidest thing ever. Great truck though.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
How often have you used that snorkel? If the water is ever higher than your stock air cleaner chances are you are going for a ride downstream if you attempt to cross it. Stupidest thing ever. Great truck though.
A snorkel is not just for water crossings. Having the air intake up high keeps your air filter much cleaner which can be an issue if you are driving on dusty roads a lot. Also, it just takes one sip of water through an intake to brick your engine so if you are ever in a situation where you have to drive through some deep water (flash flood, etc.) you will be stocked to have the snorkel.

Ive never had one on a rig and I know for most people it is just about the look but it does originate from something that has a real purpose.

Reactions: npsp and Matilija
Feb 18, 2024
The rear axle of the Promaster looks like it was designed to hit rocks on dirt roads. I don’t do any serious rock crawling but have been down a lot of dirt roads where that axle might be a liability. Ever had issues?

View attachment 173250
It’s no 4x4 but I have taken it up many fire roads and rough stuff to go climbing but all unibody vans have major limitations for off roading I have seen lot of 4x4 sprinter get twisted up but I have yet to get the rear beam stuck or clipped it more a famil camper than a Baja rig, but I definitely wouldn’t listen to anyone who would buy a harbor freight trailer lol

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
It’s no 4x4 but I have taken it up many fire roads and rough stuff to go climbing but all unibody vans have major limitations for off roading I have seen lot of 4x4 sprinter get twisted up but I have yet to get the rear beam stuck or clipped it more a famil camper than a Baja rig, but I definitely wouldn’t listen to anyone who would buy a harbor freight trailer lol

HAUL-MASTER 1720 lb. Capacity 48 in. x 96 in. Super Duty Folding Trailer

Your ignorance speaks poor of you young one. )Vanlifer) Im not talking car Hauler Boy. This is a Condo trailer. It folds up. Perfect for the yamaha sled or the Honda ATV or Dirtbike. These things are everywhere. Lawn Mower etc. And its AXLE is stronger than the one on your ProMaster....Hilarious!

https:/
/www.harborfreight.com/automotive/trailers-towing/trailers/1720-lb-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62671.html

• Dislike
Reactions: Fishyhb
Feb 18, 2024
Sorr
HAUL-MASTER 1720 lb. Capacity 48 in. x 96 in. Super Duty Folding Trailer

Your ignorance speaks poor of you young one. )Vanlifer) Im not talking car Hauler Boy. This is a Condo trailer. It folds up. Perfect for the yamaha sled or the Honda ATV or Dirtbike. These things are everywhere. Lawn Mower etc. And its AXLE is stronger than the one on your ProMaster....Hilarious!

https:/
/www.harborfreight.com/automotive/trailers-towing/trailers/1720-lb-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62671.html
sorry buddy I own a pipeline shop and we own real trucks and trailers that haul heavy equipment and I would never buy a harbor freight trailer I would be laughed off a job site same thing would happen with a ford lighting and it’s a family van I am not a vanlifer good luck with your trailer old balls

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
A snorkel is not just for water crossings. Having the air intake up high keeps your air filter much cleaner which can be an issue if you are driving on dusty roads a lot. Also, it just takes one sip of water through an intake to brick your engine so if you are ever in a situation where you have to drive through some deep water (flash flood, etc.) you will be stocked to have the snorkel.

Ive never had one on a rig and I know for most people it is just about the look but it does originate from something that has a real purpose.
1708498223306.png

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Sorr

sorry buddy I own a pipeline shop and we own real trucks and trailers that haul heavy equipment and I would never buy a harbor freight trailer I would be laughed off a job site same thing would happen with a ford lighting and it’s a family van I am not a vanlifer good luck with your trailer old balls
I can imagine you pulling up to the trails with your 22 ft 15 ton trailer and unloading your 700 cc snow sled. Now I prefer the little trailer because its very maneuverable in the snow being light and by hand. I dont want to load it in my truck bed because Im not comfortable ramming that thing up there at high revs and straining the clutch. I like the lower loading and slow pop. Check out How not to load your sled vids. Why would you bring a folding trailer ( perfect for the condo because it stores upright. About 3ft deep) to a jobsite? Its for the snowmobile and its got the same real axel as your “family van”. I fear for their safety. You should consider a real truck with camper. My F250 diesel would be perfect. I will make you a nice price.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024
I can imagine you pulling up to the trails with your 22 ft 15 ton trailer and unloading your 700 cc snow sled. Now I prefer the little trailer because its very maneuverable in the snow being light and by hand. I dont want to load it in my truck bed because Im not comfortable ramming that thing up there at high revs and straining the clutch. I like the lower loading and slow pop. Check out How not to load your sled vids. Why would you bring a folding trailer ( perfect for the condo because it stores upright. About 3ft deep) to a jobsite? Its for the snowmobile and its got the same real axel as your “family van”. I fear for their safety. You should consider a real truck with camper. My F250 diesel would be perfect. I will make you a nice price.
I had a truck camper a van is much better for changing diapers with two kids under 4, I fear for anyone driving behind anything from harbor freight that you fold up and put In your condo the van go’s to campground its not a 4x4 and I already have two f250 you must be a real joy at a dinner party

• Haha
Reactions: Pico

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
A few of the guys have these.
Roomy & light, it's basically a shell that sits on the rails with room up top for all your boards
1000002035.jpg

Reactions: Aruka