*** Official Lexus Pipe Pro Contest Thread ***

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Yes, I make millions. Maybe I’m actually Travis Logie.

what I don’t get is why people tune in just to complain? Don’t like it? Don’t watch! problem solved.
I completely disagree. We are all on here because we're vested in surfing - and have been for most of our lives. Many of us want to watch surfing competitions. The problem is, the WSL seems fully capable of f'ing things up eight ways to Sunday - every day of the week. We have a right to complain.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I completely disagree. We are all on here because we're vested in surfing - and have been for most of our lives. Many of us want to watch surfing competitions. The problem is, the WSL seems fully capable of f'ing things up eight ways to Sunday - every day of the week. We have a right to complain.
Ok great. What are you complaining about?

• Haha
Reactions: ElOgro

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
They swell is just starting to show on the buoys, they'll be lucky if we see anything before 3. I believe the rules say that they need to shut down by 5?

Reactions: sponge

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
The 5' 13 seconds was wave height not swell height, there's almost no energy on the Waimea buoy. I just looked up the new contest rules for the North Shore, contest must end by 4:30 but the director may extend by 30 minutes to finish a heat. I love it when they run out of time after they skip a contestable day.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Ok great. What are you complaining about?
Well, for starters, the secrecy of the organization and the disdain the WSL's executives seem to have for both pro surfers and their fans. At least when it was the ASP, despite plenty to complain about, you knew the organization--from the very top was run by surfers who cared about each other and about surfing itself.

Reactions: npsp

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Not going to run today, won’t be very big tomorrow. It is going to finish in small Backdoor.

Reactions: LBKpilot

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Well, for starters, the secrecy of the organization and the disdain the WSL's executives seem to have for both pro surfers and their fans. At least when it was the ASP, despite plenty to complain about, you knew the organization--from the very top was run by surfers who cared about each other and about surfing itself.
That’s an interesting thing to be concerned with.

Do you feel the WSL owes you transparency because you watch webcasts for free?

And the bigger question - if surfers (and more accurately, surf brands) were so good at running things, why did they go broke and sell for literally nothing?

on the up side, everyone here is convinced the tour as we know it is about to implode. Maybe Vissla will take it over and appoint JBG head judge. sh!t, maybe Slater will buy it. I’m sure the guy who brought us wave pool contests will be transparent.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Looks like prep is going on for a start sometime today. Head high, more at Backdoor. Clean. I going get wet.
If they don’t at least run a round or two of the women I’ll jump to the “I hate the WSL” camp.

Reactions: sponge

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Putting on my tin foil hat for a second… any chance the event sponsor has say in the go/no-go?

wondering if that injury during the pipe comp with Vans as the sponsor has anything to do with the no-go call the other day.

Lexus probably cares about their soccer mom image more than a solid contest finish.

Reactions: Boneroni

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Buoy 1 showing 8 ft 14 sec. at 4:50. Prior readings in the 10-11 sec range. So swell on the way.

They’re on hold until 10:45 but Jessi said they’re running either at 11:00or 12:00and they have to run.

Reactions: ElOgro and sdsrfr

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Putting on my tin foil hat for a second… any chance the event sponsor has say in the go/no-go?

wondering if that injury during the pipe comp with Vans as the sponsor has anything to do with the no-go call the other day.

Lexus probably cares about their soccer mom image more than a solid contest finish.
Used to be:
Contest director/Tour manager deferring where needed
Head Judge
Surfer's rep

Now?
no idea