*** Official Lexus Pipe Pro Contest Thread ***

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
how many waves like that? They have a pretty clear way of making the call - they watch in 20 minute blocks and count how many potential scoring waves there are. If not enough they don’t hold the comp.

there might have been a few waves an hour that were all time, but if the remainder aren’t makeable you don’t hold the comp.

im no Kelly fan but he knows pipe. If he says no comp, I’m inclined to listen to that over JBG.
You're sure spending a lot of time defending WSL. Are you on the payroll?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
how many waves like that? They have a pretty clear way of making the call - they watch in 20 minute blocks and count how many potential scoring waves there are. If not enough they don’t hold the comp.

there might have been a few waves an hour that were all time, but if the remainder aren’t makeable you don’t hold the comp.

im no Kelly fan but he knows pipe. If he says no comp, I’m inclined to listen to that over JBG.
the video i saw had at least 20 makes. bombs, each and every one.

Reactions: redbulled117

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
the video i saw had at least 20 makes. bombs, each and every one.
All day? during a small stretch at the end of the day?

We all watched the few hours in the morning waiting for the call and there were pretty much no takers on anything.

Does Kelly not know what contestable pipe looks like?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
You clearly don't and it's fine. We disagree. All good,
Rather than a highlight reel that features waves almost exclusively from the afternoon, when the swell was cleaner and dropping, watch surfline rewind from 9-11, when they were actually making the call. You can count on one hand the number of decent waves ridden.

At 1:15 there are 3 or 4 guys out, catching nothing.

then fast forward to when it started to improve - it’s when the crowd hits it around 3:30.

In fact, almost all the waves on the highlight reels were from after 4 pm, which is when the comp would have ended under local rules anyway.

I know everyone loves to hate on the tour, but this shouldn’t be all that controversial.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Rather than a highlight reel that features waves almost exclusively from the afternoon, when the swell was cleaner and dropping, watch surfline rewind from 9-11, when they were actually making the call. You can count on one hand the number of decent waves ridden.

At 1:15 there are 3 or 4 guys out, catching nothing.

then fast forward to when it started to improve - it’s when the crowd hits it around 3:30.

In fact, almost all the waves on the highlight reels were from after 4 pm, which is when the comp would have ended under local rules anyway.

I know everyone loves to hate on the tour, but this shouldn’t be all that controversial.
Spot on. you can tell by the position of the sun that a lot of those waves happened after the 4pm cut off time

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
There were 3 girls out all day yesterday catching nothing the majority of the time because there was not much coming through, but they continued to run anyway. Highlight reel for the day probably consists of about 5 waves...go Sawyer!

Reactions: ElOgro

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I doubt WSL will run women’s to finish tomorrow. Rd of 16. Quarter, Semis, Finals. The finalists will have to surf 4 heats during a building swell. 5 if she surfs elimination rd. Sending the ladies out as they get more and more spent as waves get bigger isn’t a smart look.

But they did send Seth Moniz out against Kelly in huge Pipe after ten minutes break in which he gave a couple minutes interview.

Keep an eye on the number 1 buoy. When it starts picking up the new NW it takes 8-10 hrs to reach the NS. Forecast is saying by Friday afternoon. They have 10 women’s heats so they can wait until noon to run those 8 heats without having to overlap.

Then they can run all day Saturday quarters on for both men and women and if it’s doh ladies get chance to charge.