Never forget…

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Both the "no HVAC" and the "lower life expectancy" theories for why COVID didn't wreak carnage on the populations of 3rd world countries have equal validity.

That is, they are both purely speculative. I suspect that in both cases people with an agenda can find some data somewhere to support but not prove their respective hypothesis, but the real reason may never be known.
I agree. you can find a scientific study to support just about anything you want.

"Africa’s lower COVID-19 mortality rate is due to the lower population mean age, lower life expectancy, lower pre-COVID-19 era ‘65yr+ mortality rate’, and smaller pool of people surviving and living with cardiovascular diseases."

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I agree. you can find a scientific study to support just about anything you want.

"Africa’s lower COVID-19 mortality rate is due to the lower population mean age, lower life expectancy, lower pre-COVID-19 era ‘65yr+ mortality rate’, and smaller pool of people surviving and living with cardiovascular diseases."
I would've thought many with lowered immunities would've succumbed to Covid in the 3rd world, and the reason for lower life expectancy in general?

But doesn't look to be the case either?

Must be something about general lifestyles of many 3rd world countries that enabled some kind of protections?

Maybe their immunities are hardened/strengthened due to surviving more squalid conditions?

Or just luck? Hard to buy that one.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I would've thought many with lowered immunities would've succumbed to Covid in the 3rd world, and the reason for lower life expectancy in general?

Must be something about general lifestyles of many 3rd world countries that enabled some kind of protections?

Maybe their immunities are hardened/strengthened due to surviving more squalid conditions?

Much of Africa and SE Asia is indoor/outdoor living by default, so less chance of exposure. Plus minimal obesity.

Reactions: Surfdog

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Young and thin. Spend time outside. Probably didn’t count “with” covid as “from” covid.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

Rather, it appears that the more advanced health care systems in developed nations support a population of old sick (cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc.) people that succumb to the virus. Old sick people in impoverished areas without such a support system don’t exist.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Rather, it appears that the more advanced health care systems in developed nations support a population of old sick (cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc.) people that succumb to the virus. Old sick people in impoverished areas without such a support system don’t exist.
Thanks for supporting one of the points we all fought about from the beginning

This was not dangerous to young and healthy people, therefore there was no reason to punish the whole population with the reactions

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Thanks for supporting one of the points we all fought about from the beginning

This was not dangerous to young and healthy people, therefore there was no reason to punish the whole population with the reactions
Ya’ll don’t care if older Americans and people with health issues die as long as you can go to happy hour at Cracker Barrel, in other words. That was always quite clear.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Ya’ll don’t care if older Americans and people with health issues die as long as you can go to happy hour at Cracker Barrel, in other words. That was always quite clear.
No, I cared about keeping the economy running and not causing a financial catastrophe.

But i'm glad the covidians are finally admitting it wasn't and isn't dangerous

• Love

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
No, I cared about keeping the economy running and not causing a financial catastrophe.
How many times does it need to be pointed out that it was a deadly pandemic and that means economic turmoil regardless of government lockdowns.

Seriously, why is that so hard to understand?

But i'm glad the covidians are finally admitting it wasn't and isn't dangerous
Tell that to the million Americans who died and the millions more who were hospitalized.

You need to rewrite history to be on the right side of it? :crazy2:

• Haha

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
How many times does it need to be pointed out that it was a deadly pandemic and that means economic turmoil regardless of government lockdowns.

Seriously, why is that so hard to understand?
We just agreed that it was only deadly to a very small portion of the population

The turmoil was exacerbated greatly by the government response

Tell that to the million Americans who died and the millions more who were hospitalized.
We've been through the numbers before. Humans are not good at understanding large numbers

And there were exponentially more millions who suffered in other lasting ways as well.

Are you a new poster here trying to come at me with that nonsense?

You need to rewrite history to be on the right side of it? :crazy2:
I'm not the group that strives to be on the "right side of history"

I just like dunking on you guys proving how right we were even before the Summer of Floyd

• Love

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Tragically, it’s not a mischaracterization at all.
total mischaracterization. end of life decisions are hard. sometimes brutally hard. sometimes those decisions involve pulling the plug instead of expending vast resources to extend a life that is near the end.

you think that people in those situations don't care about their elders when they make those decisions? you think they are all just trying to maximize their inheritance so they can attend more happy hours at cracker barrel?

Last edited:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
We just agreed that it was only deadly to a very small portion of the population
That was never controversial. The controversy seems to be that some people care about that small portion of Americans and others don’t. Frankly, it’s hard to wrap my head around the attitude that they don’t matter.

The turmoil was exacerbated greatly by the government response
This idea doesn’t seem to pan-out when you look at countries like Sweden who had the least strict government response yet suffer economically just as bad if not worse than nations with a strict response.

We've been through the numbers before. Humans are not good at understanding large numbers
It’s not about numbers, it’s about values. You value happy hour at Cracker Barrel, a lot, apparently.

I'm not the group that strives to be on the "right side of history"
Then what is the reason for trying to rewrite history?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
total mischaracterization. end of life decisions are hard. sometimes brutally hard. sometimes those decisions involve pulling the plug instead of expending vast resources to extend a life that is near the end.

you think that people in those situations don't care about their elders when they make those decisions? you think they are all just trying to maximize their inheritance so they can attend more happy hours at cracker barrel?
“Near the end” is a rationalization. I hope it works.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
That was never controversial. The controversy seems to be that some people care about that small portion of Americans and others don’t. Frankly, it’s hard to wrap my head around the attitude that they don’t matter.
They matter. Just not at the economic expense of the other 99.99% of the country

This idea doesn’t seem to pan-out when you look at countries like Sweden who had the least strict government response yet suffer economically just as bad if not worse than nations with a strict response.
Worse? It's also a function of the worldwide economy, especially in a small and isolated country like that which was directly affected by it's insanely paranoid neighbors

It’s not about numbers, it’s about values. You value happy hour at Cracker Barrel, a lot, apparently.
Thanks for this. It lets me know I won

Then what is the reason for trying to rewrite history?
Who's rewriting history here?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
didn't ifallalot say something to the effect that old people were going to die anyway?

vespaghetti spammed that quote quite a bit....
Yes. Many, many times

We have kids that will have negative effects for the rest of their lives just so dementia patients on oxygen could live a couple more months

• Love