Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Winner: Pyzel
Finals: CI, JS, DHD, Pyzel
Unlucky 13: Mayhem,
Winner: Pyzel
Finalists: Pyzel, CI, Chilli, DHD
Unlucky 13: Hayden

Notably: I think Kolohe will disqualify the Mayhem at some point, ala Mick Fanning's move with DH when he did SITD.

Reactions: teeroi

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I hope Chilli doesn’t win. That seems like the type of attention that could make board wait times longer.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Full ep live now, avoiding this thread until I've watched it

Edit: Watched it, spoiler below, avert ye eyes.

I knew Chloë would DQ Lost, it's the right thing to do, but it does make me smile when the test pilot says that his shaper's boards feel like home. Surprised at the Sharpeye, given my obvious talent being that so closely matched with Chloë's, and the Synergy's my favourite shortboard ever :D

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Well I’m out of the running for the guess the results get a free boar contest.

Kolohe looked good even on the boar he didn’t like. He said cause the waves were so good.

Reactions: j_mac

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I thought that was an awesome start. I was glad he explained how he felt, including the one he booted. Conspiracy theorists will wonder why the narrator said "they" when referring to that brand.

Kolohe is a smart guy, a good personality, and an obviously talented surfer. Great choice for SITD. Did not disappoint.

PS: I'm calling it now - CI wins.

Last edited:

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Definitely a good start. Chloey is a good candidate for SITD - he tells you how he feels. I liked that he admits that psychology is a large part of whether a board works or not.

I also liked his explanation about the Mayhem. He said that it was definitely the best board for him, because it feels like his boards; it had an unfair advantage. He definitely looked good on the Mayhem too.

Despite his comments, I thought the Borst looked great underfoot.

Reactions: waxfoot

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Time Stab mixes it up.

Next time they should dedicate it to a specific area's shapers...and not a single one can be someone who has shaped for anyone on tour in the last ten years. dont go hipster board.

edited!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I enjoyed it. Only critique would be the amount of drone footage but I don't think they had a choice.

I thought he did a good job of explaining why he didn't like something then also admitting when things made no sense, like a board feeling bad on one wave, then amazing on another. Seems pretty honest.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I enjoyed it. Only critique would be the amount of drone footage but I don't think they had a choice.

I thought he did a good job of explaining why he didn't like something then also admitting when things made no sense, like a board feeling bad on one wave, then amazing on another. Seems pretty honest.
I LOLed when he admitted he saw Dane was always looking at the bottom of each boar and not knowing what he was supposed to look for.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Time Stab mixes it up.

Next time they should dedicate it to a specific area's shapers...and not a single one can be someone who has shaped for anyone on tour in the last ten years. dont go hipster board.

edited!

I think that's a great idea when it comes to application for average surfers, but Im not sure how much shapers would get behind it. I feel like a lot of the buy in comes from shapers that can (more or less) pump out boards at scale, so this becomes a shot at marketing.

It then becomes a question of what region would be worth highlighting, and how small to make those areas.
This would be a really cool, shorter, more frequent roll out. Like a different region per episode a la No Contest.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I still feel like their is still room a more shaper centric version.

Pair shapers with surfers, or just have a couple ripping shapers make a couple boards to swap around at a decent wave.

Burch
Jason Bennett
Tomo
Dylan Longbottom
DH?
Some of the Hawaiian guys are great surfers
Some of the young hipster guys are really good surfers too
Throw a longboard maker if you want to get weird. Not sure how many are actually doing production rather than just "designing" and letting someone else do most of the work.

• Love
Reactions: ReForest