Apple Watch + Dawn Patrol + Surfline

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
just yolo-ed a Nomad sport band. Been using a nike sport band but I dont really trust it when not covered by wetsuit sleeve.
The surfline session tracker is kinda nice for the 1-2 spots I sometimes surf that have a cam. Only shows your waves so don't have to sift through every wave the whole time you were out. Now if only it could help make my snaps more vertical!

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Saw where some reviewer commented that they wouldn't wear the velcro loop style band for surfing but if I was using one of those I'd just put on a rubber o ring to keep the velcro from undoing in a wipeout or whatever.
Solo loop has no velcro. It's just rubber. Slips over hand onto wrist like a bracelet. Won't use anything else. And I've tried them all.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Anyone interested in buying a solo loop I have a brand new navy blue one size 6. After buying the ultra I needed to go smaller due to the watch overall being larger. $25 bucks. Never used other than trying it on last week.

Reactions: oeste858

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
My stock apple watch band has been giving me a rash on my wrist lately. Seems to be the round, metal piece on the underside and the edge of the band where the strap ends after being double back. I've had to alternate sides a lot and I find myself taking it off.

I've started wearing it to sleep to use the alarm function so I don't wake my baby up, so that doesn't help.

Any recs on a different band? Do the velcro ones last?
I like Nomad bands. I lost a watch while surfing with a velcro band, so no more of those for me.

Reactions: j_mac
Jun 11, 2014
Whale's V
Nomad Rugged Band works best for me. Tried the Apple Solo Loop and almost came off few times, even when it was sized down. Nomad RB for the win!

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
That sucks balls. Are you going to look into a screen replacement? Now I'm really sweating on that case and screen protector to arrive since I'm hard on watches in general. They always end up with scratched up faces and scrapes around the cases.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Not sure if I linked it before, but this is the most secure strap I've had.

No chance of this badboy being ripped off in the surf.

ps: I don't use Dawn patrol anymore for two reasons
* Novelty wore off
* It got super innacurate - no idea why.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

* Novelty wore off
I like it. G-shockesque. I'm actually surprised Casio doesn't offer a g-shock branded strap

Reactions: waxfoot

jwd

Nov 24, 2004

* Novelty wore off
Thanks for this!!! Just ordered one!

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
With cellular service can you add it your existing phone (same phone #) or is it it’s own cellular plan?

Also, could you see the watch completely replacing your phone?
added cell (same #, $10/mo) to my replacement and no looking back. first empty pocket dog walk is all the convincing I need.

aside from not having a CA DL I have everything I need to leave the house and go to the shops down the street via bike or foot.

empty pockets FTW.

got this one, $20 on amazon. not too bulky which is nice.

could go without the faux cf bits but they’re discrete enough. no surfs yet.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Bought an ocean strap for the Ultra from eBay which I've surfed with several times and no issue. Also bought a clear silicone case which clips onto the face of the watch. It also came with screen protectors which I applied. Case came off in the water the other day...didn't even notice it was gone until later in the day. If I was going to buy another one I'll get one that goes on from the back of the watch so it won't eject from the watch. Luckily the case and screen protectors were cheap ($20 Aud). Other than that the watch is great. Excellent battery life with screen on lift to wake rather than always on. Charge it every 2-3 days.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Been using nomad sport strap- fits nicely under wetsuit sleeve and more secure than Nike apple one.
the G-shockesque spiegen one is more secure but pretty bulky with a wetsuit- will be good next summer when I’m short sleeve.