Lopez

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Like many, I idolized Lopez as a kid. And I liked how he matured. Then he did the Costco thing and I was like, wtf? I’ll still watch because I love his pure line and Peralta’s a good filmmaker (loved Dogtown Z boys). But why Gerry? Why?
If you had the opportunity to make residual income off of boards sold at costco, would you? Be honest.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If you had the opportunity to make residual income off of boards sold at costco, would you? Be honest.
Did he need it? I wonder how much he makes off his “real” surfboards and Patagonia sponsorship? And I wonder if how Patagonia feels about the diminished credibility with the “core” constituency?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Did he need it? I wonder how much he makes off his “real” surfboards and Patagonia sponsorship? And I wonder if how Patagonia feels about the diminished credibility with the “core” constituency?
I thought Patagonia “ambassadors” only got free gear in trade for squeezing them into their social media posts?
thanks @patagonia
@patagoniaprovisions
#patagoniabendoregon
#patagoniatankara
#patagoniafleece
#patagoniawetsuits
#patagoniagerrylopez
@lmaoudumdums
@SOCAhasbetterpizzathanNYC

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
Jerry may still be pulling in residual $$$ from his bow n' arrow movie with Arnold as well ~
no. and i say this with knowledge. no one gets paid but the stars who are also producers, and that ain't much for a film that made back it's initial production costs and was considered a 1982 success, but overall, it wasn't even ahnold who made any money. it was milius and de laurentis. lopez cashed his last conan check the same year i got a wave from a local at a very regulated north shore spot, 1983. everyone was calling gerry "hollywood" around the time he came back from filming.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
My wife and sis-in-law, who were extras on the bow and ahhhnold movie, mentioned how gerr and aaahhhhnold, and the nfl players who played snake god james earl jones' bodyguards were the only relatable people on the set, aside from millius and delaurentis. Mentioned the parties in Almería with particularly fond memories. They were 15 and 13 at the time. I met my wife the same summer.

:roflmao::waving::shaka:

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
no. and i say this with knowledge. no one gets paid but the stars who are also producers, and that ain't much for a film that made back it's initial production costs and was considered a 1982 success, but overall, it wasn't even ahnold who made any money. it was milius and de laurentis. lopez cashed his last conan check the same year i got a wave from a local at a very regulated north shore spot, 1983. everyone was calling gerry "hollywood" around the time he came back from filming.
You still pulling Munster checks?

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Have you ever met him, spent any time with him or had a conversation with him?
He's very chill to surf and hang with. Surfed and Kited with him in Cabo and La Ventana a bunch. Puts a Hat and Rashie on and is out in the water for HOURS

Dudes cashing in and alot of us probably would do the same at a certain age....

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I would, but I don’t sell myself as spiritual yoga guru Patagonia koolaid guzzling save the planet live simple zen master.
Pretty sure that was a made for 'zine image of the time that patagucci recycled and used to boost sales :shrug: I have never heard GL preach his life style or think he was holier then thee...etc:bowdown:

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
gerry was at a patagonia thing in ventucky a while back. he went out at c street on an SUP. by the time he went in, a vast majority would have loved to never see him again. kind of a wave hog. i loved every minute of it, and dropped in on him as many chances as i had. he would just pass me and laugh. he's a really mellow guy and his son is a lot like the old man. great kid. go up to bend and see what he's all about. very approachable, kind, generous, and loves to tell stories of him and rory, jackie dunn, even has a couple of tales of BaliIdiot. or him and mccabe at gland. really, a treasure trove of info best heard around a campfire after a day of knee deep powder.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'll ask it again: Have you ever met him, spent any time with him or had a conversation with him?
I know what his carefully cultivated image is and it’s incongruous with putting your signature on Costco boards.

Everyone on this forum detests Costco boards and what they have done to surfing yet for some reason some of you look the other way when some of that dirty money goes to Gerry Lopez.

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I know what his carefully cultivated image is and it’s incongruous with putting your signature on Costco boards.

Everyone on this forum detests Costco boards and what they have done to surfing yet for some reason some of you look the other way when some of that dirty money goes to Gerry Lopez.
Actually detest and think larger kook factor with fireturd more and ks personally :shrug: If you buy your board at a wharehouse club even a kook knows he is a beginer and very wet behind ears while fireturds can be seen on shelves at surf shops:foreheadslap: